don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Venom Snake

Venom Snake

USA
    Yeah that's the first thing I did when I played it. The "06 physics" (for a lack of a better term) play way better than with the vanilla Sonic physics, although it suffers from having really stilted jump controls. It feels awkward as shit.

But I agree with you on the level design bit, as it's probably one of my big problems with the mod.

@ All the level recommendations, thank you! I will try them when I get the chance.

2. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I've found it feels much better if you use the Generations Skill Editor to give yourself the Acceleration and Speed Up skills. Combined with the "06 physics", it's much more tolerable.

3. Venom Snake

Venom Snake

USA
    Hmm
    oohh, that's why the preview pack came packaged with it...
    Lol I should have actually tried it. Sounds a lot better.

4. Falk

Falk

I personally think Brianuuu has come quite a long way from when the thread was just outright laughing at that introduction highway, but I'm getting motion sickness watching the Tropical Jungle video in large part due to the camera work and the jankiness/sudden pans. I played Quake as a kid, it's really, really hard to get me to feel nauseous.

Yeah yeah, it's a fan project and inherently not going to have the super polished sensibilities/presentation of a paid product, but that doesn't help me simply physically not being able to tolerate it. :|

5. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm also not a fan of something that requires so many apparent prerequisites to enjoy. 'You have to download a physics mod, and a skill editor, and do a handstand on a Friday during a blue moon...' I think a smart mod is easy to pick up and play. Goes for any game, really.

6. Venom Snake

Venom Snake

USA
    Yeah but I think it should be noted that the mod is still incomplete, so that is something that probably will be implemented by the final release (if it even happens).

7. Retroman

Retroman

Careful what you say, you might get a temp ban for no reason like I did ;)

8. Crimson

Crimson

Sonic Generations 3ds Project
    I'm probably missing something really obvious, but how do you open/edit/modify the gte/gtm files that are in the some of the ar.00 files?

9. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Here. Keep in mind you're kind of at your own when it comes to editing the actual contents of the file because they're not very well documented, but at least the tool makes em readable and editable.

10. urlogic

urlogic

My apologies if this is the wrong place for this, but is there any way to make this game run at an actual 4:3 ratio? IIRC Unleashed could do it.

11. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Have you tried... you know... the configuration tool?

12. urlogic

urlogic

Yes. You put it at a 4:3 resolution and it still presents itself in widescreen, just with black bars on the top and bottom. Same thing happens on consoles.

13. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Not sure what to tell you then, it's not really my expertise. Maybe try digging into the ini itself to see if there are hidden options.

14. urlogic

urlogic

Not sure how I didn't think of that, actually. I'm sure there's gotta be other people who wonder why there's no way to play without it being widescreen. I'll try fiddling around to see what I can do.

15. Venom Snake

Venom Snake

USA
    Dude, if you found a solution so there isn't any black bar/stretching crap on my 5:4 1280x1024 screen, you'd be my hero.

16. You should be able to adjust the black bars in your GPU's graphics settings.

For example, the NVIDIA control panel has a section called "Adjust desktop size and position" where you can set the image on your monitor to:
    • Scale to aspect ratio (stretches the image full-screen to your monitor while keeping the aspect ratio, filling in black bars if it doesn't fit your monitor's aspect ratio)
    • Full-screen (stretches the image fully to your monitor, no black bars)
    • No scaling (resolution displays as-is size without ever stretching, generally wouldn't ever choose this one)
    You may have to also check the override scaling options set by games checkbox if that doesn't work.

Unsure of what you can do with other GPUs, though. This is just part of the NVIDIA control panel.

17. tuanpingas

tuanpingas

Hanoi, Vietnam
    some small Sonic Generations mods
    N69vid from YouTube ported and released Seaside Hill (and Sky Sanctuary) from final version to old BETA version (Final version compiled in October, beta in May).
    You need a modified PS3 or Freeboot Xbox 360 to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHGs2zwMptA

And here is a preview of Sky Sanctuary in BETA engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUnwDCJNOU

18. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    That is really cool on a technical level, but why would anyone want to do that?

19. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    To see the differences between demo and final version. Some objects behave differently on the beta.

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Interesting. Looks like the Beta didnt have Sonic spin around when over an air shaft and instead made him use his freefall pose (which I kind of like better / makes more sense in context to Heroes/ triangle dive etc), but more interesting is the fact light rays seemed to work in earlier builds.

Well how bout that.