don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Skitt64

Skitt64

Neat! I'm guessing the mod changes how Sonic interacts with slopes rather than actual gravity, due to your reluctance to go in the air. Sonic Lost World levels would be cool, but we don't have any way to change gravity as far as I know.

2. Amnimator

Amnimator

Actually, for my first method that involves messing around with forward mode, there isn't a gravity issue like KingOfTheBoo's video. It works fine for the first top of the cylinder and your jump gravity is tied to the stage terrain too. Unlike the prm.xml method this one doesn't require you to set gravity to zero along with the other parameter and actually keeps track of where the gravity is set in relation to what angle you are standing at. I got this idea from looking at how the final wall running section of City Escape worked. However, these are the issues:
    -Hopping resets gravity to default "up is up, down is down".
    -Air boost and homing attack resets gravity.
    -To keep this gravity to work past the top half of the cylinder you have to keep moving at a speed higher than around 2.
    -Normally when you reach a certain angle and jump, sonic gets kind of stuck in his jumping animation upon landing for a few seconds. This can be fixed with a few alterations to his prm.xml that I also forgot.
    The good news is that by turning off "air boost" in the forward view also turns off homing attack and hopping making the issue not be able to appear at the cost of his abilities. The only way this system could work properly is if you try to make a run and jump level like Desert Ruins Act 2. Besides that sadly it's unusable and probably has more glitches I haven't looked into yet. As for my cancelled Windy Hill, I've gotten much better at modeling and texture work since then. I've got a great idea for a Tropical Coast Zone that I might get around to; I realize the issue with most of my canceled content is my lack of an actual idea and planning. Similar to how I canceled my 3D World stage. For Classic I wanted 2D Mario level design and his overpowered spindash made it difficult. For Modern I didn't really know what I was going for so the level design felt like an out of place mix of 3D World and Heroes.
    Also, thanks to whoever approved me! I was worried I'd get stuck as a Pending Member from being a noob when I joined here.
    Edit: Post editing OCD. I wasn't kidding when I said I edit these every few milliseconds.

3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Ha, no way, I did the very same thing as an attempt at an homage to TRON way back. I had a couple level concepts and everything. I eventually scrapped that to expand upon it in unreal engine.

I never could get the generations mod to a playable state though. Sadly, I don't think it will ever end up being so. There is too much hardcoding in this game.

4. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Wow, crazy. I didn't figure a game that has set gimmicks for stages would be hardcoded who knew. /s

Regardless even with lost world its still a bit of a pain to make gravity levels you wouldn't believe the crap they did to make levels work no wonder why geometry was so simple. They have alot of gravity shape objects that have higher priority over other things hard to visualize it in glvl due to it not supporting other shapes besides boxes.

5. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    I got inspired to make some music because of this. Anyone who gets the level in playable form is free to use it if they'd like.

https://app.box.com/s/hdpwkpgne5x4qg63xgpd9quno7ke54qd

6. Amnimator

Amnimator

@TwilightZoney- At least we tried I guess. Yeah, Generations is hard coded, but it's the only feasible way for people to play a 3D Sonic level even with its shrinking community now. The way things work for the people who download mods is much more clean than something like GDK where I install a new 'game' for every different mod. Yeah, it would be better to focus efforts on something more open away from modding or UDK like Unreal Engine 4, but that's just not realistic because of the work needed. When we look at Generations, on the level designer's side things are kind of messy (maybe because I go from Maya to Max to Glvl) but has a larger community.
    Also, on an unrelated note, since this thread pretty much went zombie I think it's a good idea to explain why:
    - Everyone ripped everything out of everything syndrome.
    - Dependence on Max 2011, which is now impossible to get outside of pirating.
    - The game became kind of old and unlike something like Morrowind, Sonic games generally don't gain popularity outside of their initial release date and the modding scene was too young to popularize the game.
    - Messiness on level designers.
    - Lack of documentation outside of the basics.
    - More time consuming than most other forms of modding.
    - Mods don't have a central place to be found
    So because of those reasons a lot of people who put the energy on Generations modding don't often stick around for too long even if it's one of the few places of remotely decent 3D Sonic fangaming stuff. As for the last issue, maybe we should open a Nexus mods page for this game and push to upload stuff there?

7. Skitt64

Skitt64

Surprisingly accurate. The sad part is, half of these are just because of bad planning by the community. Some of them could be easily fixed, like if we could get Generations onto Gamebanana.
    Hopefully, Sonic's anniversary game will end up with the same modding capabilities as Generations did.

8. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    It would deeply sadden me if this community died. Thanks to the efforts of various talented people, we have a great set of tools for making modern, 3D Sonic levels. If we could just get some people together to finally finish up work on the recode of Glvl, we would have an incredibly robust and usable level editor, too. Generations is the perfect game for modding because of just how much of it can be tweaked, and tons of classic Sonic gimmicks are implemented due to it being an anniversary game. I agree with Amnimator, we should push to get people's mods on Nexus. Combing through YouTube for mods is not an optimal situation. :v:

Also, regardless of how "old" Generations is, I don't think that's a good reason to abandon it. It's still the most recent Sonic game on PC, and its graphics certainly hold up. It's also the most polished and easily modifiable version of the boost formula. On the off chance another Hedgehog Engine game comes to PC (I'm still pulling for a PC version of Lost World), most of the research is pretty easy to transfer, too.

9. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    I was more so hoping someone would take a shot at fixing up and adding to Dario's GLVL Source that he released. That would make things easier in the end. We had ideas how to make everything easier in the end but maybe by the next game we'll be able to get those things into it. Since I'm 90% sure they'll use the same model format and other types of files again. I don't really see them changing their pipeline too much due to how Sonic is selling and changing their whole pipeline and restructuring would really screw them over since they'd have to develop something entirely new then. Lets just hope the next game has Terrain Streaming again unlike Lost World.

In the meantime I've been porting that Music Plant got most of it working. Just has been taking forever fixing up the meshes. (Faces got flipped everywhere.)

And also the guy (??????) who did that stage has been helping me with making a custom stage with me . And its coming out really well so far. And it'll be for Generations.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

He's pretty amazing and he's helped me get so much done with this. I've been wanting a guy who could help and get things done. We'll be touching up geometry and stuff later one we finished how it all looks for a final art pass. I really have to give a lot of credit to this guy he's pretty genius to work with.

And after this gets finished we'll have some other level idea that didn't get to be fully tried out when me and Dario tried doing it before.

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Stoked, but, if there were any nails to put through Titanic Timber's coffin left, this'll do it. Now to think of some other trope not too prevalent in Generations to use...

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The dependence on Max 2011 worried me from the start. Too bad Blender isn't an option due to Havok.

12. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    I wouldn't really worry this is I think will be different from your level. This is mostly a remix of Green Forest with some new elements to it.

13. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    Green Forest's looking awesome, I'm seriously jealous.

If it's to anyone's interest, I did a little brief-ish write up of Mystic Cave's development with some bts images. Since the project's probably never gonna be revived I'll be happy to go even more in-depth with unused concepts I had before and shit if anyone would find such a thing valuable, the project was gonna go a lot further and it did after all. Enjoy though, and thanks for the support back when it was still a thing.

14. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    That's what I meant.

In any case, that level looks fantastic.

15. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Zoney, you never released your Lost World character mod, did you? I only ask because I found someone else who did one, but theirs is a weird all-in-one mod that includes sounds, HUD, etc. and I don't like that. The boost sound in particular is really annoying.

I tried to go in and remove the unwanted files myself, but after repackaging everything it not only made Generations crash, but fucked it up enough that I had to verify the game cache to fix the file(s) it corrupted.

16. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that my Unleashed Project work isn't going to be showing up in this year's SHC after all. I've been caught up in a huge maelstrom of personal problems and conflicts, and sort of put my development on hold to deal with them. Some part of me even wanted to drop the project entirely, what with feigning interest in Gens mods as a whole, but I don't think I'm going to. I want to see Unleashed Project to completion because I know there's potential for it to be a highly rewarding and full gameplay experience, as well as for it to provide me valuable design experience, as it already somewhat has. What this more or less means is that progress may be sketchy for a while, especially with Win10 not entirely wanting to cooperate with Glvl, but ideally, progress will happen. With how much is on my plate for this, I really shouldn't be procrastinating as much as I am, but I'm in a difficult spot in life and working through it to provide what I can, the best I can.

As for what I have done, I can at least confidently say there's good progress on the table so far. A majority of the main "hard mode" stages are almost fully polished, as well as a decent number of the smaller ones being fully complete. I'm definitely not even halfway there, so I need to kick it into full gear soon, but... it's something. I know I haven't shown a lot yet, but that's not because there's been no progress.

17. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Take your time. Don't work on it if you don't want to. Life comes first. We support you!

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So whats gonna happen to this community now that Lost World is being released to PC? I would hate to see Generations modding die off entirely, its already on life support as it is.

19. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I don't see why anything would change. They're two totally different games, and so they'll both see mods according to whatever the modder is going for.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Well I was hoping for improvements to the generations modding tools and maybe some code porting if possible, I've seen it before with SADX and SA2PC. but from what I also heard lost world is really easier to mod on and may be preferred over Generations.