don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Thanks for the run down.

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    What's the turnaround time from moving a level piece to playing it ingame with the new system?

3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Question. Would it be possible to mod Generations to allow players to play as either of the two Sonics in either act, rather than the standard configuration of Classic = Act 1 and Modern = Act 2? I know some mods have dummied out one of the two Sonics and made the remaining Sonic playable in both acts (Classic Sonic Adventures I think does this), but not a mod where you could play Classic or Modern Sonic in both Acts 1 & 2.

4. Paraxade

Paraxade

I'm pretty sure it's hardcoded to load Classic Sonic in act 1 and Modern Sonic in act 2. The swap mods like Classic Sonic Adventure are actually done by swapping the levels entirely between the different slots.

5. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Since I begged and pleaded got the okay from Dario, I've started a development blog for general research and other tidbits on Unleashed Project going into the future. Right now, that mostly means development updates on the additional levels I'm working on porting for the project, but hopefully I can beg and plead convince Dario to use it for his own updates sometime in the future. Until then, I'll be doing most of the posting.

If you're interested in my random updates, please take the time to give it a follow. Knowing I have an audience to share my efforts with will be what keeps me going for the next year or more or development. Thanks for your consideration.

6. PimpUigi

PimpUigi

------- Route Magician ------- Sonic CD Technician Member
    So basically all the 360/PS3 Unleashed levels have been ported to Sonic Generations apart from Jungle Joyride Act 1-2. Is that right?

7. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm not sure what you mean by "have been ported," as I'm still working on them. As for Jungle Joyride Act 1-2, it's most definitely being included, so I wouldn't worry about that. (It's one of my favorite bonus stages, mind you. Waterfall running!)

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Jungle Joyride Act 1-2 is my favourite stage in any 3D Sonic game, and makes me question whether I enjoy it even more than Flying Battery or Lava Reef.

Glad to hear those without internet-enabled consoles and a credit card will finally get the chance to experience this awesomeness.

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    And Eggman Land.

10. I don't suppose anybody's bothered porting the Wii stages, have they?

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Brianuuu and somebody else started to, but they haven't provided any updates on the project in a long time.

Opinion of the Wii stages in general isn't very high, but I personally think it'd be interesting, and they'd probably play a lot better in a more capable engine.

Edit: Looking around, it seems the Wii porting project was officially canceled.

12. Well, considering people have gone through the trouble of porting stages from Super Mario 64, even, you would think that there would be more Wii ports. I mean, I only own the PS2 version of Unleashed, and it's not THAT bad. Besides, it would be easier to get a functioning EggmanLand from there than the HD dual-hog level.

13. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    You're more then welcome to attempt to try doing it yourself. Even then the assets are pretty low poly and would need higher res asset versions of them from the HD version. And then they'd need a proper layout and colllision and testing and then GIA.

Thats because these things, they take time to do and complete. And not everybody has a lot of time to do that.

But if anyone wants the Wii Unleashed Levels properly connected I can send them some. If you guys want to port it.

14. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I can't emphasize this enough. Porting Unleashed HD's content requires less work from scratch at this point, but the format presents plenty of its own challenges. Creating an entirely functional object layout is, to use the best simile I can conjure, like putting together a 1K piece puzzle set... for each full stage. Granted, most of the stages I'm working on are far smaller, but that's a total of 38 acts, and I'm still doing the layouts for every 1-2 (and 2-2) stage as well. Even I comparatively have it easier since Dario and his team had to develop the tools and means to port this content from the ground up in the first place.

The reason I'm on this massive undertaking is because the next year or so of my life will be relatively uneventful, and I'll have the time for it. In addition to that, I feel as though it's somebody's responsibility to expand the project with as much content as possible, and I entirely think Dario and his team have done enough work. It's been a wonderful learning experience, so I've been more than glad to tackle it on my own (tech support from Dario aside). Do understand though that this will most definitely take a long time, like I mentioned. I'm doing it out of love, though; I love the Retro hacking and modding community dearly, and I consider this my contribution to the site.

/mush

15. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I think one can muse on what would be nice to happen without it actually meaning they are begging one of you guys to do it. :v:

16. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire

Oh I'm just willing to provide the means for them to do it and learn themselves(you won't believe how many people ask for me to do stuff for them). If they want it done, they can try attempt to do it themselves, its not so much tedious but time consuming getting things to look perfect for you when it comes to doing the layout work. Which you start early in the morning by the time you feel you have something going its past lunch time. lol

Since most people who have done the UnWiished stuff seem to have dropped it due to lack of interest or something not working well for them mesh wise. Something with the meshes I'm able to fix with properly porting the level over correctly and scaling it. Layout work is something else all together though. I find some people have trouble porting stages just because they can't even get the stage exported out right. And don't even get to the layout part.

Edit: Oops new page.

17. Paraxade

Paraxade

Melpontro and I were experimenting with the idea of doing some Unwiished ports a while ago. We got started on a Dragon Road port but we ended up dropping it because joeylaw released his own version.

The only Unwiished stages I think are interesting are Dragon Road and Cool Edge, honestly. The rest are just.. kinda boring. Those two stages actually have some unique visuals that weren't in the ps3/360 version.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Eggmanland might be kind of cool seeing as how it actually has it's own day level.

19. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Wasn't Twlightzoney messing around with the HD Eggmanland at one point? Did that go anywhere?

20. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    I have most of it working except the werehog parts, I didn't know what to do with those parts honestly.