don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    DAMN that's looking *SICK.* I only hope that later on down the road you get the chance to add more close-up detail to some objects like the metal strips, but overall very nice, and I'm digging that remix.

2. winterhell

winterhell

This needs to be done with the Mega Drive physics Fan Remix style.

3. Felik

Felik

Looks really good except for the miner's helmet, it looks stupid when Sonic jumps. I hope they will release a version with regular classic Sonic.

4. Flare

Flare

Yeh while jumping the light itself could turn off, not sure, but it does get a bit distracting though I do like the addition, makes me think of AoSTH (sure there was an episode when he wore one)...

But wow, I really want to play this, Mystic Cave is one of my favourite Sonic 2 zones and the animation of Flasher is just perfect.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Definitely a HNNNGGG moment if I've seen one. Hands down this looks like the best Classic Sonic level mod out there (there aren't that many though but still).

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    damn that looks amazing. really love the mine hardhat addition.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Very generous of you, much thanks! I'm sure people will make use of these.

9. Paraxade

Paraxade

Wow that Mystic Cave is looking fantastic, I can't wait to see more.

Unrelatedly, may as well release these uv-anim Maxscripts I made a few months ago. I've been wanting to make some improvements to them but it hasn't been happening and I've just been sitting on them for months. They're fully functional so whatever. Might end up improving them later.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9MLV21H7SDvYWNZSDN4UVVTYWM/edit?usp=sharing

Copy-pasting instructions on how to use it:

Hope to see some people making use of these. uv-anims can do a lot to make stages feel more vibrant and "alive" imo.

10. Falk

Falk

third episode

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    [​IMG]

Just have to fix the opacity. This is the highest quality reflection I can get, which is great because it's pixel perfect. However, it's distorted by the pretty low res refraction shader, and that is dependent on the framebuffer.

12. winterhell

winterhell

Very nice. Can you take several samples for the refractions and Gauss them?

13. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I'm afraid not.

Here's an update. The water is nicer now.

[​IMG]

14. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Has anyone used the SSHGiantRock object yet? It isn't showing up where I place it, but rather some other odd location.

15. Decided to try out Parax's uv-anim scripts. Made some simple waterfalls and waves to test it out. They're really simple to use, once you actually follow the instructions properly; I genuinely jumped out of my chair when I managed to get it working :v:

Was great timing of the release too, since I had just finished making the mounts. Mesh-wise, the stage is practically all there. It's all coming together now that I've gotten my systems down. Still quite a lot to go before I'm satisfied.

I'm wondering if the scale issue people are noticing might be more to do with the grass texture than the actual stage scale. It is a peculiar illusion. I carefully calculated the stage dimensions early on. Might experiment with stage scale later, but it should already be correct.

Loving that Mystic Cave Zone, by the way, it looks faithfully spooky.

16. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Since brianuuuSonic apparently blocked me or something, I might as well repost the comment I intended to put on his latest "STH2006 Project" video.

http://youtu.be/WDD3LALVAGM

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    It takes him like two minutes just to travel to the first level gate, and an extra minute just to get all the way to the "end" of the level where the boss gate is. And you're going to have to do that every single time you complete one of those levels (or die, because a serious threat of death sure is something I want in a level select hub).

How tedious!

18. Falk

Falk

To expand on Paraxade's comment about 'go wild', I totally agree. As long as the layout remains the same anything is fair game and honestly would add and maintain interest while playing. Actually, even consider making the route curve at some points (Think of bending a piece of paper, it's still a 2D plane essentially) so that you can make good use of a particularly nice piece of environment in the facade/background/parallax for example. Generations' actual Classic levels did this remarkably well and you could too while respecting the original layouts.

edit: About scale, seeing this for the first time something that instantly stuck out to me as 'weird' was the extended depth of the platforms in the first area. Considering that in the originals you couldn't see how 'deep' anything was and subconsciously assumed they were simply as deep as they needed to be, it was a little jarring. Some elaborate backdrops in that area would fix that and also create a strong first impression when the level first loads up.

edit2: I realize a lot of the depth is required so that it supports the palm trees and such. There's no reason why the palm trees further away couldn't, for example, extend further down to a secondary platform slightly below the actual Sanic plane just to break up the uniformity of the terrain there.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    That loop structure sure does look,,, ummm Familiar ! I do hope that you are not using any of my models and re-tweaking them without giving credit.
    If you please, I would really like to see a wireframe model Screen of it along with some other 256 x 256 chunk assets, thanks.

[​IMG]

Another aspect that strikes me as being familiar is the depth scale used for the loop.
    I'm 100% positive at this point that (Some) of that GHZ level that you have there are actually a modified version of level assets that I've made.

[​IMG]

EDIT!
    Now if you ask nicely, I will grant you permission to continue using what I've made as a base to start your models off of. However my condition is to give credit... and don't let it happen again !

Edit2
    Maybe I'm coming on a bit hard, Must apologize for that. ( cut back a lot of this post)

Edit3 02:42PM eastern time: I've seen you reading the topic here threwout the day, what's keeping you from posting them Wireframe screens? I'm sure they would clear things up in an instance.

20. *sigh*