don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHj4ODX18_I

2. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    So far, that already looks very authentic, "Kirby". :0 Smooth sailing there.

On a different topic, I realize this is pretty unlikely, but, has anyone ever been able to perma-fix that annoying crash when accessing online-time-attack, since SEGA can obviously not be arsed to?

3. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
  4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The hub world from 2006 is semi working?!

Thats really amazing!!

5. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    This is looking really good. Do you think it'd be possible to get some normal mapping action going on with those textures?

And I've been wondering, since Sega has never done a 3d over the shoulder view for a full loop de loop (the camera always rights itself upward or just watches from a distance), is this something that can be accomplished in Generations? GDK does this just fine, and while that's a different engine entirely I still wonder why it has never been done officially. Limitations? Incompetence? They were scared to do it?

6. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    My honest guess is motion sickness. :B

7. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    So I guess compared to all the existing high speed stop and go action and sweeping camera pans over large distances and funnels and hairpin turns and long drops into speed launchers, the upside down camera was just too much.

8. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I'm not sure if it's possible on Generations, as you said the camera always rights itself up though that's the default camera only, it's possible a custom camera could work, I'm guessing they never tried to do it because there's really no point to having a 3D loop (you can always skip it down the middle, completely negating it)

9. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    "Working" is probably a little bit generous given I've heard that 3D hub worlds can cause a lot of problems once you switch back to the original hub - the game saves your position in 3D space, so if you quit out of the game in a 3D hub and load in to a 2D hub, there's a chance you will spawn outside of boundaries with no way to get back.

Which, I mean... I dunno, doesn't sound like something I'd personally be doing.

You can also see how much trouble he has getting the "press up to talk to this character" thing to work in 3D space, and I'm pretty sure he said in an earlier video (or somebody else) that 3D hubs are also prone to crashing the game.

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I've been having trouble getting Skydiving to function properly. For some reason, Sonic thinks its cool to turn 180 degrees he crosses the ChangeDiveBegin section. Dude thinks I need a custom camera to stop this from happening, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. If anyone knows what's wrong, please tell me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4YrVa2BIYE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I may have no experience with this, but have you tried rotating the trigger 180 degrees?

12. Jason

Jason

Yep. That's pretty much all I could think would be causing the problem. And yet the solution continues to elude me. Perhaps a certain combination of rotations is not being obtained, as there are two changers involved (ChangeDiveBegin and ChangeDiveEndNoEvent), but probably not.

EDIT: After asking, Dario PM'd me saying that it's still a mystery as to why the spinning in Skydive mode occurs, and that camera tricks and such accommodated for some of the official skydiving sections.

13. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    So this would be a terrible hack at best, but have you tried rotating your entire level 180 degrees?

14. No GIA rendered yet, but...here's a small preview.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Since I'm so generous, here's another shot.

[​IMG]

15. Time to liven this place up a bit...this topic has died down quite a bit...

http://youtu.be/vCscDM2eEMQ

Windy Valley v1.0: Birthday Edition has been released! Description from YouTube:

16. Jason

Jason

Good show, Sky. Good show. I was expecting a lot more compromise in platforming because of the engine's standard moveset, but it seems to work pretty well. Maybe when Dario's done with custom particle effects you can make a proper tornado for the background of the lower-to-upper transition.

My work is having some drawbacks at the moment. I've got a circular section I want to have in 2D, but I can't seem to get Sonic to stay within its confines. I know it's possible, as Dario's Spiral Reef does it, but perhaps I'm not understanding how it works. I was led to believe Sonic would stay on a 2D spline set regardless of the direction of the path. However, After a Grind lead-in, Sonic flies off the path, after the 2D mode is active (the camera shifts appropriately). The splines are labeled appropriately with the @GR and @SV suffixes, respectively, and the TargetDirection is set at the middle of the two splines near the end of the path that make up the 2D spline set. Anyone know what's gone wrong?
    [​IMG]

17. Awesome! The Stage seems to chug for me at points, mainly the beginning section (probably due to the massive amount of stuff and me having an Intel i3 Processor), but at other points the stage runs great. The design changes in Generations seem to work well for the level, the only real missing thing is the Tornado. Great Job!

18. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

So... after accidentally switching out mods while I forgot Sonic Generations was running, I came across some stuff of questionable importance that I thought might be worth noting if it wasn't already known, and this is what I've come up with after a bit of mucking around.

• Levels will not change when you change mods mid-game
    • Music will change when you change mods mid-game, but the music alteration will only take effect on level load (More specifically, White World music changes made while in the White World won't take effect unless you load a level and come back, and Rank Screen music changes must similarly be made BEFORE entering the level, as applying them mid-run won't change them until the level is restarted)
    • Other sounds (Cool Edge whale, Savannah Citadel bongo-springs, etc.) don't seem affected when changing out mods and will play normally regardless (I assume they're loaded differently than the music is)

So... is any of this information useful? I thought it might somehow help shed some light on why sound mods seem so much more unstable than other mods, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was already obvious to those who know more about how SonicGMI/CPKRedir work.

EDIT: It might also really fuck with the Save File Redirection option...

19. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Would it be possible to reskin the crumbling platforms in GHZ to make the Windy Valley bridge before the tornado fall apart?

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Ummm... you can just use the bridge from GHZ act 1. It's got physics AND breaks after a timer. So... yeah.