don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. HOLY CRAP you actually did it! Awesome!

Will that be in the official Mario mod, or is this something else entirely?

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    That just makes me curious about something I wanted but never saw anybody try: Classic Sonic's model on Modern Sonic's skeleton.

3. Sporks

Sporks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRcKL34vw0I

(This isn't mine btw.)

4. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    That... kinda works, but sometimes his polygons stretch in a weird way and the lack of facial animation is odd (but kind of understandable).

Really don't like that Classic Shadow model, though.

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

Well shit, right after I start laying down assets for my Mario Mod. :<

Well, at least ours have different goals. Mine is to recreate classic Mario physics and environments. I have the physics down, at least.

6. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    If it helps anyone, Mario Party 9 has a Mario on the Title Screen that is quite a bit higher detail and resolution than your average Cube or Wii model I believe, and should be fully rigged too, just add Sonic style glove and hat textures and you might get a Generations Mario easily!

7. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    By "classic" you mean SMB, right? Because I'd been thinking this... Sunshine physics and running around Delfino Plaza.

8. That scale needs to be fixed, and the awful cover needs to be removed.

9. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm pretty sure this is a really old video, back from when they were still figuring out how to import geometry.

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Hey there generations hackers! Dario and I have been working on the ghost data format, and it is now understood 100%. However, we can't finish the recording tool until certain variables are found in the game's memory space. We need the following:

The sonic object's position in vector3 format (we're using a copy stored in memory right now, but it's not the right value. The Y coordinates are off by abit)
    Sonic's rotation value (stored as a quaternion, you'll probably find it right next to his position values)
    any method of reliably finding out which animation sonic is using at the current time, and which frame of animation he is in.

If someone can find the sonic object's location in memory, I'd imagine that all of this data is there. If you find something, post it here!

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    By classic, I mean Super Mario 3/World physics. I had been thinking about 3d game physics as well, but none of Sonic's moves can really properly emulate some of the flips and jumps that Mario does, but the physics XML I've been trying to mimic classic Mario physics with also works quite well in 3d, feels like Super Mario 64 with a bit more momentum. I have question mark blocks down as well.

I have a test stage and everything, All I need is a Mario model rigged to Modern Sonic with some Mario style animations.

12. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Assuming it's in the same place when a demo is playing back, why don't you just make a demo that freezes him into known values for a few seconds, and search for your known values?

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    make a demo? Does the game even have demos?

If you mean a ghost, I don't know how that will help since the ghost data isn't sonic's data ever, and we don't have access to the game's ghost recording feature.

14. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    I just made an interesting model import:
    It's Sonic's car from Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. I ported it over the Seaside Hill bobsled.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I ripped the model by using NinjaRipper (it's like 3D Ripper DX, but better) while I was playing the PC version.

I used the textures that ninja-ripper obtained to give it some good-looking materials. It looks good so far (though Sonic's "kart-driving" animation needs to be moved up a bit.)

If the game's model format ever gets figured out, I'll try porting Ocean View into Generations (with Sonic using the car throughout the whole thing.)

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That would have been a great homage if they used the car from the first game for the kart in Generations to begin with rather than that gokart from no where (Yes it's based off the Heroes one but without Tails and Knuckles it's not really the same)

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I'm no techie, but I just wanted to say that's wonderful news. The fact that the game has ghost races in missions but there's no way to share 'em online or challenge people on the online rankings directly was always kind of odd.

17. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzdX9XzVYf4

Deleting the ChangeBGMCollision object through SGLVL seems to mess up the terrain geometry, or at least how it unloads from the game at the beginning.

Also, for a Frog Forest mod, and how should my friend and I do the animations for the frogs? Is it even possible? How should we put them in, and where can we get the frog model itself? Thanks.

18. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    The frog model would most likely be stored in the stage's obj files.

19. Regarding that City Escape video... (More specifically, the image it shows before clicking on it to play the video)

I didn't know Tails owned a pizza joint. Guess that's how he pays for Tornado parts and stuff.

20. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS