don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash

New Lenox, IL
    Generations Level (Experimenting)
    And may I ask, what is that absolutely breathtaking hidden song I seem to have gained access to for?

2. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Oh, that? It's the same track, except with all but the guitar and harp/violin channels muted. I don't plan to use it for anything, and just included it as an easter egg because it sounds pretty nice.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    It's not letting me watch it :( I keep getting a "An invalid sample description was found in the movie." error.

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpt47st4xFM[/youtube]

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You are putting in Adventure Fields!?

:0

I LOVE IT.

6. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Clearly the secret video is a mashup of Tropical Resort and this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e9adrI7IIY

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvtTMv_GQ4k&NR=1

I just want to point out that I think it wouldn't have been hard for Sonic Team to make Sky Sanctuary made of sandstone to be closer to its original incarnation. Props to SuperRiderTH for doing the pallette swap.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^I am still of the opinion that they changed the color for the best. That yellow doesn't look bad but it's not nearly as nice as the white

9. Chaud

Chaud

Agreed. You shouldn't do something "just 'cause" the old games did it. The yellow isn't bad, but the white is just better, easier on the eyes, white marble just "fits" better.

And I don't think that Sky Sanctuary would have looked bad if it was white, anyway:

[​IMG]

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The gray/greenish-white version is 100x superior.

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I think the yellow adds to the age of the structures and provides a more pleasing contrast to the heavy use of white in the cloudy background. But hey, different strokes.

12. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

While I appreciate that someone went to the effort of modding SSZ to be yellow, as that's been a popular complaint against it... can I be the first to say that he scaled Grand Metropolis Zone rather badly? I mean, I understand needing to adjust a level's scale to accommodate Modern Sonic's speed, but there's no reason for the stage to be THAT huge.

13. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I can see why Sky Sanctuary was made white for Generations, though, because with the stone being yellow it becomes really difficult to discern the vines/plant life from the stonework.

14. ChaosRinger

ChaosRinger

Sonic The Hedgehog and The Holy Rings
    Oh good, this is still an ongoing event!

I think I might join you guys soon, maybe try to do a melpontroations style set of 3 levels.

I've really got my heart set on Aquatic Ruin from S2(16-Bit), so expect that and possibly a few others in Classic and Modern form once I get enough steam cash from Christmas to get Generations!

15. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VacJmSe5bK8

More progress on a 3D Wave Ocean

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Thinking about it more, I wish people porting levels would scale them up a little, though. You're right - Grand Metropolis there is probably a little too big, but not by that much. I'd rather have it be way big like that then something like you see in that Wave Ocean video where Sonic is scaled properly but basically can rarely ever boost because there's not enough room for it (And even without boost, he blows through more than half the level in 30 seconds).

Direct ports are nice and all but I'd rather have levels that don't try to twist Sonic Generations in to unsupported playstyles. Port levels in ways that accommodate boost, not penalize it.

17. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j96MS_ctJP0
    Hello.

18. Flare

Flare

I am assuming BlazeHedgehog is talking about stages that aren't designed for boosting, so before Unleashed. However within that statement lies my problem with what he suggests, and that they aren't designed for boosting. Making them bigger so you can boost just over uses the boost in my opinion. Sure in previous games there are are stretches where the boost comes in handy (remove dash pads to make the user want to use it if need be) but unless you modify the stage to incorporate boost sections, enlarging a stage just seems a lazy way of utilising the features of the current engine. In the same way that when people port the spindash into Sonic 2, they didn't feel the need to extend the levels so the spindash would be more beneficial.

19. Retroman

Retroman

If a tool that changes boost speed per level, and make an edit on the level title card like 'Warning: Boost Speed has been reduced by 80% on this stage. Be careful to not fall off!' and it could be a solution.

20. Paraxade

Paraxade

That's what I tried to do with Kingdom Valley. The "correct" scale that makes the level about the same size relative to Sonic as in 06 is 1% of the original model's scale, but I made mine 1.5%. Reworking levels to use boost that weren't originally designed for it can be quite difficult, really, and the stage size in particular is something really picky yet very important that a lot of people seem to miss the mark on. I think I hit the sweet spot with my level, though; 1.5% seems perfect for any 06 level.

And then part of making the stage work for Generations has nothing to do with the scale of the stage but rather object placement, cameras, putting dash panels and changers in the right spots... smart level design, basically.