don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Looks like Unleashed Project made it in to the top 100 on Moddb.com

http://www.moddb.com/events/2012-mod-of-the-year-awards/top100

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I admit I'm guilty of not keeping a closer eye on this thread in the past few months (work, school, etc) but, uh...

Damn.

3. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Got some more Metal Sonic Generations Screenshots:
    As of now, I've finished about 95% of the content that I've wanted to include in the 1st release. I'll probably have everything finished before this week is over.

Classic Neo Metal Sonic:
    [​IMG]

Neo Metal Sonics in the Final Boss Battle:
    [​IMG]

White Space Text/Image Replacements:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can assume you're talking about the one in joeylaw123's Wave Ocean video (which is a mish-mash of HUD elements from mods that he didn't make.)
    The boost meter is a Sonic Colors themed one that came from brianuuuSonic's Sonic Colors stage mods.
    The gray numbers in the upper portion of the screen came from an older version of BoomBoomFP's Shadow mod.
    The White-silhouette Super Sonic loading screen in that video was taken from one of my mods (Super Sonic Generations.)
    He also replaced all button prompts with ones from the PS3 version of Sonic Generations.

Much like you, I also prefer the original Generations HUD. That's why my character mods use recolored versions of the original HUD (with the new colors fitting the character.)

4. Faseeh

Faseeh

[​IMG]

I imagine I'm doing something wrong.

[​IMG]

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0kCkvKj7Rk

You guys are fucking geniuses.

6. That looks simply amazing. The Christmas textures really make the level look beautiful. (Do I see directional shadows?)

I have a question though: will the general public get the Christmas version of Sky Troops?

7. I seriously hope there's a longer version of that song, or at least one without the sound effects playing.

8. Third'd, that song is great! I wouldn't mind putting it on my phone and listening to it while looking for presents or something.
    Also, I added my puns in the comments. Already have Generations, but I could always gift it away to my friends or something.

9. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPnByC6E8w

So yeah, seems the uploader of the Modernized Classic Wave Ocean mod video decided to get with his cousin (the uploader of this video) and just remake the whole stage from scratch.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    From scratch? Doesn't look from scratch to me...

11. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Any idea why Sonic is upside down?
    [​IMG]

12. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    If I had to hazard a guess, you may not have set the first vertices as such at the beginning of the spline. Select the first vertices on either side of the spline's starting point and select "Make First."

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    a screenshot of your path setup in 3ds max would help as well.

14. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Well, I have the first vertex as "Make First".

[​IMG]

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Man there is just so many pages for this thread, its hard to go back and read threw them all.

Besides porting levels to Generations, who is working on custom zones?
    Sometime in the future I may have some questions in regards to porting over a project.

Right now I'm working on prject AXSX (Sonic Xtreme) for UDK threw custom build of Xak's GDK. (XGDK)
    I'm edging closer to a release, hopefully end of next month.
    After that I'll be switching back over to my Sonic CD remix project.
    At that point I'd like to finish up a zone including all of its time periods.

Now here is where you guys come in. (If there are any takers that is.)
    My scheduled is so full that I don't think I'll have any time to learn all the ins and outs of Generations, and or how to use all the tool sets you guys have made.
    However, if you are up for working on porting CD remix over as a sort of team.
    Than I'd be willing to work closely with you in regards to the assets that I've created, and make sure they are fully compatible with generations.
    and perhaps even port some of the advanced shader technologies I've created over. (some of these will blow your mind)

A few concerns and questions:
    Besides tweaking existing code in Generations, Can custom code be written for the game?

#2 are vertex shaders and or any type of vertex world space positions changeable during gameplay? (could be a morph targets type setup)
    (this would be used for real time in your face time travel without the intermission screen)

Can custom shaders be written for Generations ? and if so what Language? HLSL? also what shader models are supported?

Can Sonic's 2D gameplay be made to match the Genesis Sonic in terms physics?
    ( I think that I've read somewhere that was already done) sorry can't remember clearly if it was successful lol

P.S.
    This is what I have as far as the engine goes using a custom version of Xak's Sonic GDK. ( ClassicGDK)
    Its not perfect but I'll also be working on CD Remix in ClasicGDK at the same time,
    (its not hard to make assets for both engines as many of them will be exactly the same) :P

GHZ is a placeholder for the CD remix HD levels.
    (basically this sort of gameplay would be what I'd be hoping to see in Generations)
    There is a lot of advanced crap going on in this simple level that would need to be programmed into generations from scratch
    check out the depth changes for the platforms, and watch how sonic hits his head on the ring monitor in the background platform as a few examples.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9KSi8bFpo

16. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    1: Far as I know, it's only possible to edit the lua and xml. files, however they are encrypted with something.
    2: Not sure. I do know that the goal sign has morph targets. As far as editing the materials, you'd have to do that using SonicGLVL.
    4:Yes, you can by editing Sonic's physics files.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    #1 is a real downer for the classic sections.
    I guess the CD Remix assets could be used for some modern gameplay sections as well. Everything is Highly detailed and modular.

18. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Well, the XML files are XMLfiles and only the lua files in the #application.ar00 is encrypted. However, those files can allow you to have so you can progress levels in the classic way instead of going to the hub. If you have access to the XBOX360 version, you can use the xbox360 version of the lua files in the PC version. Those are not encrypted and is just plain Lua files.

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Making custom shaders is possible in theory since I was able to disassemble/reassemble them just fine for fixing the directional shadows, so I assume that using proper HLSL should do the trick as well. The thing is knowing the right registers to use for each element(which are specified in binary in the .psparam files)... so if you can get a basic template running and compatible, it should all work out smoothly.

The other pixel/vertex shaders related files are just a bunch of easily-crackable binary files specifying different relations between them(like inheriting parameters, setting custom material parameters, etc.), so anyone who wants to get custom materials in just needs to do some good research. Vertex Shaders is another story I haven't bothered to look at yet, but it seems to be about the same system.

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I guess I'll wait and see if the generations hacking scene gets a little deeper than where its at currently.
    Although I must say its grown so much since I first started this topic. never expected it to go this far.

Since you guys have done so many interesting things already, and....
    This is wishful thinking , but I have faith that you could eventually go as far as making a completely custom hack down to bare bones raw coding levels.( to add new coded content to the game at will)
    Perhaps making some tools to go along with it, like a nod based shader editor or something.

Basically reverse engineering the game into maybe the Ultimate Sonic Fan Game Creation Engine. (not just a mod) USFGCE for short lol .. man thats a tongue twister!
    ( sorry, I'm not really being serous with that last part)