don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Well, I was wondering, is it possible to edit the Generations Demo (Steam) with SonicGLvl? I'd kinda like to try Generations modding until I can finally get the chance to go to Gamestop. I was going to open Green Hill Zone 1, but I couldn't find the stage's data file, so is there something I'm missing or is there just no support for the demo?

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    It should be the same in theory. Did you unpack the CPK files it has? I'm not sure if SonicGMI will work with the demo though, so you might have to do CPK Repacking manually to test out the level changes you do.

3. That must be why I didn't find the stages, is there a seperate tool for unpacking the exe, or does GMI do that automatically when you run it?

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    This is a great birthday present, having the Unleashed Renderer almost working. :v:

5. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    You think I didn't tell them that? :P

It's basically what you said, except what Generations does is more akin to screen-space light scattering lol

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Yeah, not to mention of all the stages that may benefit from god rays, Speed Highway is last on the list. The sun isn't even up, for fuck's sake.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I did like god rays on in Crisis City just because it made the sky look like it was on fire. Playing with the setting to make it more subtle should yield very nice results.

8. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Is it just me who loved the light shafts in Speed Highway? I mean at 1:30 of the video it gave me a massive bonner. I think that even if it doesn't have a sun high up in the sky, it fits perfectly for the stage and helps to give that urban neon look that the stage demands. Also the sun is setting like in 1:30 wich makes it even prettier imo.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

Would anyone explain to me why all of these lighting and graphical features were removed from Generations? Sonic's light-dash, wall-kick, and other moves are limited to context-sensitive areas in the level, some of his animations have been stripped, and the strength of his air boost has been reduced. It seems that the only thing Generations did better was make Sonic's slower-speed controls tighter and re-map the homing attack to X/A.

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I actually turned god rays on in Crisis City just to see how it looks. I haven't messed with its settings yet, though.

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=100302543
    http://steamcommunit...s/?id=100302521
    http://steamcommunit...s/?id=100302432

I took some more screenshots, but they didn't show much of the big part of the new atmosphere they give off.

EDIT: According to what he told me over IRC, Twilightzoney's got me beat in this department :v:

11. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Sorry to sound stupid, but where do you find #stage.ar.00? I've depacked bb 1-3 and I can't seem to find it. Which file is it in?

12. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

There isn't actually a file with that name. "Stage" in this case is where the 3-letter stage name abbreviation would go; #ghz.ar.00 would be Green Hill Zone, and so on.

The full list of stage abbreviations can be found here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=28723

13. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    replace "stage" with a level's 3-letter initials, like so

GHZ: Green Hill
    CPZ: Chemical Plant
    SSZ: Sky Sanctuary
    SPH: Speed Highway
    CTE: City Escape
    SSH: Seaside Hill
    CSC: Crisis City
    EUC: Rooftop Run, I believe.
    PLA: Planet Wisp

Also add a 100 for Classic's main Act, and 200 for Modern's main Act. 101, 102, etc. and 201, 202, etc. are their missions.

14. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Yeah, Generations feels a bit like a downgrade from Unleashed in that regard. I don't know why they did it. Maybe to simplify things for both the testers / quality control (less complexity = fewer possible problems) and the players.

Replace "stage" with the code of the stage, e.g. #ghz200.ar.00 for Green Hill Act 2.
    Edit: too late. Aren't we a helpful bunch! :)

15. For those you that don't want to take the time to enable the LightShafts on your own, here you go: http://www.mediafire...nt80cm0kbstkqoc

Also, is it just me, or did does the game run faster with the Unleashed Renderer? I noticed a slight FPS increase.

I would like to suggest a few things for SonicGLVL if possible:
    1. Undo and Redo functions. This would be really handy.
    2. A "make object look at point under cursor" function.
    3. A "Boot Sonic Generations" function where it detects what stage that you're modding (ghz, cpz, ssz, etc.) and automatically boots up into that level.
    4. An improved snap object to nearest path. If there's two splines close to each other, it'll snap the object right in the center.

16. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

It should work perfectly. The demo is pretty much identical to the complete game. Infact if you place the full game CPK files in you can play the entire game just without saving. It's how I played through it on my PS3 without ever buying it for it.

17. Welp, I spent a good amount of time unpacking Green Hill Zone and got the stage to load and render...only to find out I can't use the editor because I lack a middle mouse button...that really sucks...

If anyone knows of a good key mapper that works on Windows 7, please let me know, until then, I can only assume it works...

18. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    From what Lobotomy told me, these shaders are a lower resolution. That, plus lack of anti-aliasing, and the common shaders not having any gloss map recognition (for WHATEVER reason) and other problems, accounts for less calculations and, therefore, less framedrops.

Hopefully in the future we'll have Generations run at complete 60FPS all day erryday. I also hope that day isn't in 30 years.

19. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I don't suppose anyone still has the Logo Removal mod? I searched a bit but the primary link to it seems to have become inactive.

20. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hw66beaod69ct4d

Reuploaded for ya. ;)