don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Kampfer

Kampfer

Joe, great work on the Super Sonic Generations mod. I'm really digging it, but 2 bug-related notes:

First, on the Sonic Generations Hyper Sonic Edition (the download that only has hyper Sonic and not the rest of the mods), the slide is messed up. I loose all momentum whenever I have to slide under a small gap. Slide works properly when I'm not in Hyper Mode, though. Also, the water slides in Chemical Plant also kill my momentum in the same way if I'm not boosting.

Second, when I'm playing Super Sonic Generations, it will randomly crash for no apparent reason. The first time it crashed was in Green Hill Modern on the first rails section right before the loop. The second time was in the hub world with Classic Sonic near Chemical Plant. The only other Mod I was using at the same time was the logo skip.

2. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    So yeah, I'm doing some more work on my other mods now that Super Sonic Generations V5 is done.
    Here's some stuff I did in the last 24 hours for Sonic Simulations (Clever name, amirite?)
    [​IMG]
    I managed to make the robotic parts look a lot better. The spheres on their chests and hands got the biggest improvement, with a good shader and texture combo. The antenna light also looks a bit better.
    I also simplified the eye textures and modified the fur colors to look similar to the Sonic Colors hue/brightness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The antenna still casts its shadow in an odd way, but everything else still looks a lot better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I applied all of those same fixes to the Super forms.

As for Metal Sonic Generations, I'm still working on making a completely accurate model for (Modern) Neo Metal Sonic.
    Here's what I've got thus far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The arms and legs are placeholders, the cheek bolts and the blue parts of the head in general are likely to change, and I haven't completely finished altering the textures yet.
    I've studied footage of Neo Metal Sonic's cutscenes from Sonic Heroes, and noticed quite a few aspects of his design that most people probably never noticed. One example: the part above his jet exhaust is actually ridiculously long.

And yes, the belt and cape are the same ones seen in the Super Sonic Generations version of Classic Neo Metal Sonic (I actually made them for the Modern model, BTW.)

1. I haven't encounter too much momentum loss if I slide without stopping the boost.

The likely problem is due to how I set up Hyper Sonic's boost (If I have my facts right, it has no limit to its max speed. It just gets faster and faster until the boost is stopped. When he boost stops, he instantly slows down to the skill's original max speed before naturally slowing down as normal. I based it off of Lobotomy's Fixing Sonic forever mod.)

To fix it, I'd have to remove the "no max speed" bit. However, that's the only thing separating Hyper Sonic's gameplay from the non-modded Super Sonic (not counting the different graphics and lack of boost-flying.)
    Or, I could apply that Hyper Sonic's other actions, though doing so affects Normal Sonic's physics.

2. I know that the game seems to crash when Classic jumps after a spin dash in the HUB, regardless of what other mods are in use. I've never had the game crash outside the HUB world. Regardless, I literally have no idea what is causing those crashes.
    If I do figure out the cause of those crashes, I'll update the download.

3. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    For anyone else who is playing with the ghost files, I've updated my analysis of the format:

Code (Text):
    2. Ghost Data Files:
    3. long - ActionCount
    4. long - GPS Node Count
    6. ActionArray[]
    7. GPSNodeArray[]
    9. Action Definition:
    10. string (padded to 0x20)
    12. GPS Node Definition (0x28 bytes):
    13. 2 bytes - delay timer (does not exceed 15900 if viewed as a single integer)
    14. 2 bytes - unknown
    15. vector3 - position
    16. quat - rotation
    17. 4 bytes - unknown (almost always 0)
    18. float - unknown (these increase sequentially, then resets)
    21. examples of '4 bytes':
    22. 00 07 00 00 (happens alot in cpz)
    I'm still trying to find out where it sets the animation, and if any of this data is bitwise I'll never figure out what it means, but with the delay timer you can now adjust the speed of the ghost run.

4. Kampfer

Kampfer

5. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Hey guys, guess what we did...

[​IMG]

:3c

....Okay time to clarify. We FINALLY got diffuse textures working, thanks to DarioFF finding out that common materials have this variable called mrgPlayableParam. What does that do? Well it apparently defines if a stage is played or not; as in, wether it gives the white world effect to materials applied or not. Those who used the Unleashed renderer will notice the white diffuse was quite literally the white world effect, confirmed more by the fact any completed stage had color. How was this fixed? We simply removed the white world effect entirely! (Might not be the best desicion but for NOW it's the best thing we've got.) We could possibly change the default of that effect to true, or whatever, in the future, but as of now that's not going to happen. Regardless, here's a download link for a patcher.

Speaking of changing defaults...

[​IMG]

Yes, we want you, the community, to help out. Why? We don't know shit about shaders :v:

Anyway! Problems with this renderer that persist include pitch black shadows and the shadow buffer being completely terrible, but the latter could possibly be fixed with some EXE tweaking. The former, however, is handled by shaders. Luckily, there's a shader similar to Common_d that allows for non-black shadows; FadeOutNormal_dn.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the shadows all blend together nicely (also ignore the island being broken over there). We're not sure WHY this happens, but we're sure that it's because of the shader itself. Dario theorizes it might be because it has a shadar parameter in it called g_VerticalShadowMapSampler. We don't know that for sure, or how to apply that and its function to other shaders, but we do know that's our only lead and may very well be the only way to have directional shadows that aren't pitch black.

If any of you can help, we'll greatly appreciate it!

Last thing: a video showcasing this renderer with COLORS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxIOEpw7MoU

EDIT 0.5: Ok, I think I should clarify how to actually ENABLE directional shadows for anyone interested.

Go to the #stage.ar.00 's SceneEffect.prm.xml and you will find this somewhere:

<VerticalShadow>
    <Param>
    <ms_IsEnableLambertShadowObject>true</ms_IsEnableLambertShadowObject>
    <ms_IsEnableLambertShadowTerrain>true</ms_IsEnableLambertShadowTerrain>
    <ms_IsEnableVerticalShadow>true</ms_IsEnableVerticalShadow>
    </Param>
    </VerticalShadow>

What you're going to want to do is replace true for <ms_IsEnableVerticalShadow> to false. This will make the shadow direction angular. Only problem is now the shadow has that whole bias-ignore thing. If you guys can fix that, we'll be one step closer to making this the superior rendering engine! :3

EDIT: Also gloss is broken ;_;

6. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Sky The Destroyer had a weird experience while messing with the files of Sonic Generations...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gShrpuiLLnE

I think he would've posted this himself, but he's still waiting to be validated as a full member.

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Really hope you guys don't overdo God rays :v:

They were only ever used in a small handful of Unleashed stages. Or, at least, they were only setup to be noticeable in a small handful of Unleashed stages (I can almost count them on one hand, in fact).

But every single screenshot anybody has posted of the Unleashed renderer has them enabled and in your face. A little more restraint, please. :ohdear:

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Of course they won't be overdone, the whole point of enabling it is to show off it can be done in the particular stage and how they look in a Generations stage. :v: If the Unleashed renderer works correctly, the stage that will only use God Rays are the originals that did so(Cool Edge for example really has the most benefit out of it, since the ice shaders aren't glitched as well).

Personally I'm more interested in the directional shadows, since a lot of the Unleashed stages use a big amount of breakable objects as decoration(Empire City), and the perspective can look quite jarring when half the decoration in the stage has vertical shadows. Problem is, it's almost impossible to show off correctly if even ONE shadow in a screenshot is pitch black and not blending, it really breaks the scene. If anything, this will be all optional anyway.

9. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Hey Dario, I think I may have a problem. I installed it correctly and instead of looking like Unleashed, it looks like this:

Sonic becomes incredibly blurred and the blur flickers on him when going at full speed. The stages are also really blurred, as seen in this photo.
    Image here. (sorry for the huge image)

I'm not really sure what I did wrong. :ohdear:

10. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    How to enable Light Shafts

Because people won't fucking stop asking :(

• Open the SceneEffect.prm.xml file located in your #stage.ar.00 file.
    • CTRL + F for "LightShaft"
    • Go to the parameter "ms_IsEnable"
    • change "false" to "true"
    • Save your SceneEffect.prm.xml file.
    • Replace the SceneEffect.prm.xml file currently in your #stage.ar.00 file with the one you just made.
    • Save the #stage.ar.00
    • Use the Unleashed renderer.
    • Play the game.

Not that hard? Good.

Seriously guys x_X

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRSav5zP1f0

12. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Uh...
    [​IMG]
    Is this going to break modding? :/

13. No, it's just something most games on Steam are required to do. It will re-download your EXE if you have it patched though, but all you have to do it just patch it again and you're cool.

14. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    Here's the Light Shafts and Directional Shadows for Rooftop Run who can't see it for themselves:

15. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works

Since someone was bound to ask for it. Figured I show it off right, like Chimera told me how to do it.

16. Faseeh

Faseeh

Wow, that is a big improvement. Now, I shall wait till I get to see all of the stages done with that... and why isn't Crisis City done yet? Isn't that the one that looked awesome before we even learned about this new thingy?

Can't wait to see Cool Edge too. :3 Hopefully, the shadows are fixed as they are really disorientating.

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Yeesh, it's like when you wipe down glass and don't use streak-free window cleaner.

18. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    It isn't that bad, even so you can tone down the multiplier easily this is just set at 1.0. I think this makes it much more dynamic. I've never seen streaks that are colorful like that, guess I have to play more Just Cause 2 and Sleeping Dogs, oh well.

19. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Should I feel stupid for asking what light shafts are?

20. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Yeah, even though I explained it two months ago already.

Well, light shafts are shafts of light. ;)
    It's a pretty generic term. See google. Oftentimes, crepuscular rays are meant (please don't call them god rays!).
    Sonic Generation's implementation seems to be a simulation of crepuscular rays. It's a postprocessing effect that blurs bright lights in a specific direction (depending on the "sun position"). Objects such as Sonic (and even stage geometry, I think) can also cause streaks of shadow.
    Maybe someone here can give a better explanation of what the effect actually does.