don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Super Sonic, as the skill rather than the playstyle, could be forced by using the skill's internal name like how challenge missions can force endless boost, ring time, etc.

I'm more surprised that using Classic Sonic doesn't crash the game right at the beginning cutscene.

2. Heh, thats awesome! Wonder how Classic would work versus the Egg Dragoon...

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    You can force a skill?

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I already answered that in IRC, but not everyone goes there so:

Yes, you can force a skill, at least that's how it works in the mission acts, the MissionScript.lua file contains mission-relevant data such as the type of mission, skills to be used and the time limit for it.

5. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    It's been awhile since I've shown any progress on Metal Sonic Generations.
    As of now, I'm almost done with Modern Neo Metal Sonic's model. Unlike the Classic model I've shown, I actually included the belt, crotch plate, cape, and shoe spikes this time.
    The arms and legs are the only parts I need to alter. Everything else is already done (though some parts may need rig fixes...)
    And yes, the ridiculous amount of shininess is intentional.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As DustArma said, missionscript.lua is a pretty neat thing to edit. The boss battles also support those files (You'll need to add them in, though.)

The internal name for each skill are usually the English translation of each skills' Japanese name with no spaces. (Such as PowerStomping instead of Power Stomp.)

However, the Super Sonic skill cannot be forced using this method (Trust me, I've tried...)

The only skills that can be forced are ones that were already used in missions(Endless Boost, Power Stomp, etc.) , and Classic Sonic's "item" skills (skateboard, barriers, etc.)

6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Ah. Well, that sucks. Well, I can try to Cheat Engine it I guess.

7. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Okay, so the Windy Valley mod I previously mentioned has been moved over to Speed Highway, but there's still a problem; the Goin' Down music that'll be replaced by The Air doesn't loop... is there a way to force it to do so?

EDIT: Nevermind. City Escape's second BGM loops, so I'm inserting that into Speed Highway and editing the Stage.xml.

8. On the subject of LUA files, where would I find missionscript.lua? I looked in #Application.ar.00 and found some LUA files, but I can't find missionscript.lua specically. I'm interested in what I can do with these LUA files (even though I have no clue how they work).

9. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Look in one of the mission #zzz00.ar files. They are in some of them.

10. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Okay, so me and Sky are putting Windy Valley over Speed Highway to fill the SA1 slot and also take advantage of the BGM change trigger, but the Going Down BGM doesn't loop. Upon digging in the files, I noticed that the Mad Convoy Race BGM of City Escape does loop. I replaced the music in City Escape and changed the Stage.stg.xml for Speed Highway to play City Escape's music, but... it crashed. I tried going into City Escape, but it crashed too and I'm 99% sure I didn't do anything wrong with the music, so... any ideas?

11. Paraxade

Paraxade

I have not touched custom music in months so forgive me if I have a couple details wrong, but do you have two .adx files in the AAX? The songs are expected to have an intro and then a main looping part, so if you only have one then it'll just play once and cut out. IIRC I just added the same track a second time and that fixed it, though you'd probably want to add a blank track or something instead to keep the size lower.

If that's not the issue, then I have no idea.

12. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I have had previous success with music replacement, which is why I'm so baffled by this. I'm pretty sure I handled the music correctly, so I'm not sure what it is...

13. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    If you're talking about music like the title screen, you can just make a single ADX file and reformat it to AAX. It'll stop once it's done playing.

14. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I got started on a White World mix for me and Sky's Windy Valley mod today. It's mostly done, let me know what you think!

https://www.box.com/s/ylf3tw29tms6o8xrmf97

15. KuroBit

KuroBit

Sounds great! Though, it might just be me but... maybe it's ever so slightly too upbeat? I'd have to directly compare it with the other songs though, and right now I'm in school, so I'll have to do that later...

16. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    To be fair, City Escape's White World music is rather upbeat, or I would say so anyway XD

17. Felik

Felik

Dear hackers! Since with Lua scripts you can make any stage load at any time please make something like Sonic Colors' "Shuttle mode". It would be so great just to play Sonic Generatin in progression without interruption that is hubworld.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Please note - friendly warning - this is not a request thread for Generations hacks. I don't want this snowballing into ZOMG MAEK LOST COLNY GENRATNS PLOX.

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Funny you mention that. :v:/>
    Code (Text):
    2. -- SonicGMI Bootscript v1.0 by Dario ff
    3. -- Configure the variables below
    5. global("SONICGMI_STAGE_BOOT", 1);        -- 0: Regular game
    7.                                          -- 1: Boot into Stage directly after first logos,
    8.                                          -- then return to Title Screen
    10.                                          -- 2: "Classic" level progression mode
    11.                                          -- goes through the 9 main acts depending on the
    12.                                          -- character selected.
    14.                                          -- 3: "Classic" level progression, but uses both Sonics
    17. -- Used in Boot Mode and Classic Mode(not 3)
    18. -- Irrelevant for the other modes
    19. global("SONICGMI_SONIC", 0)              -- 0: Modern Sonic
    20.                                          -- 1: Classic Sonic
    21.                                          -- 2: Final Boss Super Sonic(crashes if not in last boss)
    23. -- Only used in Boot mode
    24. global("SONICGMI_STAGE_NAME", "ssz200"); -- 6 character string of the stage to play.
    25.                                          -- Missions need to be played by using the next variable
    27. global("SONICGMI_STAGE_MISSION", 0);      -- 0: Regular stage
    28.                                          -- 1-5: Missions
    I extended a bit the LUA scripts with those capabilities. I was planning on releasing them soon, but I was waiting to see if I could somehow implement it into SonicGMI. I think I'll just let people play with them later. Or maybe now. The scripts go into #Application.ar.00, if I can get SonicGMI to support them later in a user friendly way, I definitely will. Keep in mind it might override your save file though, so make sure you have save file redirection enabled, and with another save file I guess just to test.

20. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    Thanks for that! Gave it a try myself, and for some odd reason the controls don't work until after about 10 seconds. Also, Red Rings aren't showing up for some reason either.