don't click here

Sonic Generations CG Cinematic Compilation (Best Quality)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by AstroSeedP, Nov 28, 2022.

1. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

[​IMG]

Hey all, some of you may know me from my work in regard to the Sonic Video Archive project. Today, I bring y'all a high-quality compilation of nearly all CG cinematic footage made for Sonic Generations. There have been many uploads compiling the CG used in trailers for this game, mainly this one by SEGAbits, but most of them are old, missing parts, and of low video quality. So, I decided to make my own version using the highest quality sources I've come across. Below is a YouTube upload along with a Google Drive link to both an MP4 or a MOV version of the file for download:

Here's the breakdown:
    I began by looking through as many pieces of promotional media for the game. The majority of the footage was taken from hi-res trailer files meant for the press. These required the least amount of edits, mostly just splicing scenes into their correct placement. I then moved on to looking through official social media channels, Sonic JP's and Marza's YouTube channels, for any additional scenes. For any other cuts I was still missing, I referred to the reel uploaded on Marza's website. I also replaced the SEGA and Sonic Generations logos with much higher-quality images.

After compiling all the footage, I went in and began to make adjustments to any parts that required them. This mostly involved color-correcting scenes in order to hide cuts or parts where I had to splice in any frames. Lastly, a very slight sharpening filter was applied to all the footage.

Video Sources:
    SONIC_GEN_US.mov
    Sonic_Trailer_040711.mov
    SonicAndGenerations.mp4
    『ソニックジェネレーションズ』プロモーションムービー [YouTube].mp4
    ERA_MODERN_UK.mov
    SG Gamescom Trailer_ALL-H264.mov
    MARZA ANIMATION PLANET Demo Reel 2015 [YouTube].webm
    sonicgenerations_bosses.mov
    SG_Launch_PR-H264.mov

Image Sources:
    SEGA Logo.png
    Sonic Generations Logo.png

So, what's missing?
    Well, despite my best efforts, there's still some low-quality footage included as they were just what I could find. I would love to get better replacements for these scenes. Most importantly, however, we're missing a few frames from both the "Time Eater" and the final "Modern Sonic in Green Hill" section at the end of the video. For "Time Eater," one video source has hard cuts, while the other video source fades between two cuts. This means there are a few frames in between that are either missing or obscured by the fade-in. The final "Modern Sonic in Green Hill" scene has a few additional frames missing at the end, however, the only video source has the Japanese Sonic Generations logo over it. Below are links to examples for both:

All in all, I had fun working on this. Hope y'all enjoy!​

2. Turbohog

Turbohog

Nice work. I've always thought not including these in the game itself was a dumb move by Sega. It would be neat if we could find a "natural" way to mod some of them in.