Sonic game for 3DS Announced

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RGamer2009, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=468194:date=Jun 16 2010, 11:06 AM:name=Blanche Hodapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blanche Hodapp @ Jun 16 2010, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=468194">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And to those calling Sonic Rush 3D, look at the gameplay footage for Colours and tell me we haven't already got that :V<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, we don't. The boost is minimalized, there's a higher emphasis on platforming and exploration, and although it's by no means "classic," it doesn't look like Rush, either. In fact, the most Rush-like part of the Unleashed formula—the mindless boosty-boosty-SURPRISE MEMORIZATION JUMP 2.5D sections—have completely changed their gameplay focus. So no, not Sonic Rush 3D. Not quite.

2. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Well, you know, it just seemed that way because of the "GREAT AWESOME BRILLIANT" cries when aerial stunts happen.

If anything I'm glad this isn't really Rush 3D because, you know, I really dislike Rush =P

3. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    Rush 3D wouldn't really make use of the 3DS's features anyway.

It could be an Adventure style game. I mean, that would actually work really well with the new 3D.

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I think the game should be from behind, it would make the most use out of the 3D screen with things coming at you flying past, from the side you just for a more fancy parallax scroll and that's about it.

Will be interesting, the old sonic running test for the DS is still one of the better DS "games" out there in terms of visuals, sega should have done something with it.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    <!--quoteo(post=468173:date=Jun 16 2010, 06:59 AM:name=Tails4ever)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tails4ever @ Jun 16 2010, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=468173">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic Rivals <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">3<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->DS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't even joke about that man.

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    Hey, fuck ALL of you, Rivals was awesome. Moreso than Sonic <strike>LOLBOOST</strike> Rush IMO.

Especially Rivals 2. Drop the racing aspect and tweak the physics some, and you've got your Sonic 4 right there.

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    If by tweak you mean completely scrap what they have now and start over, then sure.

8. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Y'know what would be an interesting Sonic game to see on the 3DS?

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: The Complete Collection. No lie. Just imagine playing the tilt-able special stage with the 3DS's gyrometer controls. Heck, if Episode II does have Collect the Rings stages, imagine how badass a 3D halfpipe stage would look! In fact, the entire concept isn't so far-fetched; just imagine running through Splash Hill in 3D -- the waterfalls feel closer to the player, corkscrew paths pop in and out at the player, parallax backgrounds actually have depth to them, and whenever Sonic busts through a breakable path, the blocks will actually look like they're flying toward the player! Also, 3D ring loss, while one wouldn't want it to happen while playing, might be cool to see. In fact, what if Episode III has Blue Sphere stages? What might that look like in 3D?

Overall, I would really like to see that game on the 3DS. :)

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Misfit
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    <!--quoteo(post=468415:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:42 PM:name=Moonshadow Caz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moonshadow Caz @ Jun 16 2010, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=468415">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If by tweak you mean completely scrap what they have now and start over, then sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you mean speed up the game, make the gravity heavier and have jumping more powerful to balance it out.

Yeah, that's about the only problem with Rivals, other than the focus on racing.

10. GoGoThursday

GoGoThursday

One of the preview 3DS games available at E3 is "Nintendo Classics Collection", as mentioned by <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/15/nintendo-3ds-in-depth-preview-it-works/" target="_blank">Engadget</a>:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nintendo Classics Collection: Something we wouldn't expect, but a round-up of a few of Nintendo's classic titles (Super Mario Bros., Yoshi's Island were a couple we saw) is actually served pretty well by the 3DS, with those familiar pixellated backgrounds given just a bit of depth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "Sonic 3DS" could therefore be a 3D update of Sonic Classic Collection, or, as speculated before, a stereoscopic Sonic 4 or Sonic Colours.

I definitely think Sega will eventually re-release the classic Sonic games on the 3DS, but perhaps not as a launch title. I can just imagine the breathtaking depth of Green Hill's lake, or Aquatic Ruin's dense forest. The foreground parallax in some levels (such as the "bars" in Star Light Zone) would almost pop out of the screen!

11. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    As someone who has stereostopic capability with my PC, this is interesting, but if they did do the classic Sonic's, I'd be a little underwhelmed. I wouldn't be surprised if particular depths were applied to all objects (brought forward) and the background layer pushed back. Seeing as this is Sega, I wouldn't be surprised. Saying that, I doubt there is much you could do with the classic games in 3D.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=468657:date=Jun 17 2010, 11:23 AM:name=Ell678)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ell678 @ Jun 17 2010, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=468657">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As someone who has stereostopic capability with my PC, this is interesting, but if they did do the classic Sonic's, I'd be a little underwhelmed. I wouldn't be surprised if particular depths were applied to all objects (brought forward) and the background layer pushed back. Seeing as this is Sega, I wouldn't be surprised. Saying that, I doubt there is much you could do with the classic games in 3D.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There're multiple layers in the background, so I'd be very much surprised if they didn't take advantage of that with 3D display.

Hey, it is SEGA, but SEGA does love them some graphics-whoring.

13. Skyler

Skyler

Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    <!--quoteo(post=468551:date=Jun 16 2010, 11:21 PM:name=Lobotomy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lobotomy @ Jun 16 2010, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=468551">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=468415:date=Jun 16 2010, 04:42 PM:name=Moonshadow Caz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moonshadow Caz @ Jun 16 2010, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=468415">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If by tweak you mean completely scrap what they have now and start over, then sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you mean speed up the game, make the gravity heavier and have jumping more powerful to balance it out.

Yeah, that's about the only problem with Rivals, other than the focus on racing.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not to mention the deceleration while rolling and the fact that everyone has the Homing Attack.

14. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    I demand they make this game a reality.

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0bCefT3uKHs&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0bCefT3uKHs&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

Everyone will be graced by their wonderful screen rubbing in 3D!

15. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    You know, that game was released. It's called Sonic and the Secret Rings. :v:

16. Skyler

Skyler

Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    <!--quoteo(post=471961:date=Jun 25 2010, 01:57 AM:name=Hayate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hayate @ Jun 25 2010, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=471961">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, that game was released. It's called Sonic and the Secret Rings. :v:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh, you. :rolleyes:

17. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=469193:date=Jun 18 2010, 10:47 AM:name=Dusk Golem)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk Golem @ Jun 18 2010, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=469193">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I demand they make this game a reality.

[video]

Everyone will be graced by their wonderful screen rubbing in 3D!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Wow... It's just me or the Sonic Model looks more well detailed than any other model I never seen before in the Nintendo DS? :ohdear:

18. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Actually, Sonic DS literally looks like a tech demo of the DS, it has much better graphics than any other DS game. Except it was actually meant to be a game, so it means it would have been realistic to have more games with this kind of graphics.

EDIT: which in turn also means that developers are lazy bastards who wanted cheap power rather than actually bothering to put effort =P

EDIT 2: actually, checked some Sonic DS screenshots, and shit, there's some major texture abuse in the scenery there. Yes, it's made out of 3D meshes, but these guys sure knew how to make them look more detailed than they actually were. The Sonic mesh is better than anything out there, though >_> (and has gouraud shading o_O)

OK, I'll stop being off-topic :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.