don't click here

Sonic Game and Watch

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by EnterTheHatrix, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After I discontinued my last project (see the trash forum) I decided to start something that was a little easier to chew and less time consuming, so I decided to start a new project.

I had the idea of making a Game and Watch style Sonic 1 game (basically, Sonic 1, but it looks like Game and Watch) limiting myself to only 3 colours, black white and a grey shadow.

I started to tinker around with changing sprites and palette colours but I haven't been 100% successful so far with the tools I've been using, so I might end up hitting the community guide and start from scratch.

Based on the limitations of the console, I've got 2 things which I could do.

1. Black and white only, Sonic runs along a black line. This would look crappier, but would be a lot easier to do.
    http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5356/soni...ndwatchnobg.png

2. Whiten out most colours so that it has a game and watch style background. To do this though, I need to be able to alter the palette colours significantly to make them lighter, which I've had little success with so far using the tools I've got available. But it looks awesome
    http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/198/sonicgameandwatch.png

Basically this involves redrawing all of the enemies and things that move. I could also look at changing the music to make it a bit more... G&W ish?

Suggestions? Ideas?

2. Tidbit

Tidbit

You keep saying what tools you have. the way I see it, with SonMAPED, sonED2 and of course some asm knowledge you can do any thing. What progs are you using?

3. Well I tried to use ESE2, HivePal and fatilety. I didn't try SonED2 because I thought it was just level only (I haven't found a way to edit Sonic or Badnik sprites in it yet)

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Go with this for sure. This is such a fucking cool idea. I attempted it a few years back, but to no success. Looks like you've got a great start though, best of luck!

5. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    Definitely choice 2, because that's how the watch games worked: super light "painted background" with LCD movement

love this idea

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If you're going to do a painted background sort of thing, it's probably a good idea to disable background scrolling entirely if it's possible; painted LCD backgrounds didn't scroll, and they certainly didn't have any parallax effects.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    You would be better setting up a split disassembly, it makes life easier.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Go for option 2. Dude, this idea is awesome.

9. dsrb

dsrb

Trying to make it too G&W will raise all sorts of issues. Wouldn't a static background entail converting the level layout to B&W? We could be really absurd and suggest that he restrict all character, enemy and layout art to a fixed set of sprites in fixed locations (which, if at all possible, would look worse than the game.com version of Sonic Jam! :O)

Silly extrapolations aside, I agree that option 2 would be interesting to see implemented. What objects will you render in B&W? Obviously the level layout would entail far too much work, but what do you think about including objects like spikes, swings, pushable blocks, etc.?

10. Glad you all like this idea.

Building the sprites for all of the badniks and Sonic, etc, is no problem at all. My real issue is with whitening the actual levels themselves so they retain their colour, just washed out. I went on IRC to ask some guys how many colours Sonic could support, and I got an obscure answer of 16 bajillion, so I know it's likely to be only around 256 if not less, I haven't really played with colours much. Ideally I could do with a tool to automatically adjust the level palettes to about 25% of their original darkness.

Objects that move or are destroyable or dangerious will be rendered in the black and grey style to make them obvious. This includes spikes, swings, blocks, breakable walls, Monitors, Posts, bridges, fireballs, etc. I had toyed with the idea of disabling the background scroll to make it a bit more static, and dumbing down animations as well as replace music with some very retro sound effects.

The only level I can see I might have problems on is Starlight as it has a black background.

SOTI, I'll take a look at it. So far my hacking works have been mostly ASM based. I'll check out the tutorials for editing art though, I'm flying blind for the most part. I know the one tutorial for Fatilety left me with a problem where I couldn't use black for the SCORE TIME RINGS (which, by the way, I couldn't edit E in SCORE for some reason) and the grey I used from the default palette kept changing colour in game, most likely to reflect on the switching of colour between red and yellow when there were no rings. Hopefully another program or tutorial will fix this better.

11. Tidbit

Tidbit

Use SonMAPED for your art stuff, its the best tool for editing mappings,sprites, and even palettes. And the E in SCORE, is (if your using a disassembly) under the nemesis folder, in one of the number bin files, if I remember correctly the debug numbers.

12. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    Requires re-emphasis.

Use the background from option two while implementing the mobile/level art structure from suggestion 1. This will simultaneously give the authentic 'static background' of G&W/Tiger games while enabling you to easily convert the levels into the format of suggestion 1. You will only 'struggle' in creating a new background for each Zone if you follow this plan.

13. Ralbalboa

Ralbalboa

Fucking awesome!!! I would love to see this game & watch version of Sonic. You should try as "Mainman" said. Good luck with this project.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Whatever the case, background can't scroll. It's gotta be static screens like so.

15. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I don't think it should get rid of scrolling. Static screens make sense for that game but this game will still be fast paced, unless he intends to make it animate like a G&W game.

I think all of the backgrounds should be got rid of and turned into white while the foreground should be whited a bit (as shown in example 2). I don't think it should be as white out as shown in the example, though. Also, all objects should be in front of all foreground tiles, no matter the situation, just like the G&W games.

Just my two cents, though. If you like them, that's great! If not, well, doesn't matter at all! :P

16. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
  17. Ralbalboa

Ralbalboa

Incredible, I didn't know those Sonic Game & Watch exist. I made a little research and it turns out Tiger Electronics made a Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball and even a Sonic R handheld version. Too bad they are too expensive for my pocket right now, they are now collectors items.

Edit: There's also a SONIC UNDERGROUND one!!! (Yes, the TV cartoon!)

18. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Just have the GHZ background/Foreground snapshot in the real background and set it to never scroll. The actual foreground would be the black game and watch stuff.

19. Bluetension

Bluetension

New Jersey
    Sonic Blackout (fangame)
    That second screen looks amazing! Will the background be stationary? That would give an authentic feel for the game and watch games.

20. dsrb

dsrb

I also was unaware of the existence of those handhelds. I guess I was over a decade late when I said:
    And it does!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.