don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Hey, you can’t rush art. Big’s Big Fishing Adventure will come out when technology can handle the full scope of the team’s vision and when the world is finally ready for it. Right now, it’s just too ahead of its time for us peons to truly appreciate.

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Agreed. We're not seeing Big's Big Fishing Adventure until home consoles can handle advanced raytracing at upwards of 130 fps.

3. For now, I'm only expecting content coming from Sonic Central (c'mon, it would be weird to SEGA create it and then simply don't use it again). But I guess through TailsTube they could announce a upcoming Sonic Central (because SEGA loves doing a announcement of an announcement).

4. Snowbound

Snowbound

9AFD7168-9A51-473D-A161-CBADC5E04D5F.jpeg Make of this what you will

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Wasn't that for a post talking about a game event in June? I mean, I'd have to imagine we'd get our look at how it plays then, if ever. lol

6. Snowbound

Snowbound

9BB12C64-F679-4BF6-8F0F-7972BCF1034F.jpeg
    So far this style has all been for frontiers promotional art right? Given that it’s interesting and exciting to see Knuckles here. I’m not saying this means he’ll be playable but with Flynn doing the writing if Knuckles is just in the story he will be written well

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Well I don't know if it means Knuckles will be present or not but thanks for making me aware of this, snagged one of those sets for myself :V
    It's so rare to have cool Sonic merch ship to Europe, I wasn't gonna let this opportunity pass (pretty sure it even comes from Europe too, since I paid in pounds)

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Really? I found that he wrote Knuckles as a complete joke in the Forces prequel comic. Almost like his Boom counterpart. Not to mention that Knux's outlook on life was a 180º from before, going from "I don't like having to live in isolation on Angel Island, but it's my job" to "My life on Angel Island is so lovely".

Haven't read IDW, though.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Damn it I was too slow this would have been perfect for my office wall

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

I haven’t read all of IDW but in the battle for angel island arc Flynn does an excellent job rectifying the mistake Forces made with his character... namely that they completely forgot that he’s the guardian of Angel Island.

I wouldn’t judge Flynn’s characterization of Knuckles from the forces prequel comic. He had to set up Knuckles and Silver for a game plot he had no involvement with that mistreated both characters. The Knuckles I grew up reading in his Archie run was definitely not a joke. Or at least I didn’t think he was a joke as a kid. It’s been so long since I’ve read the archie comics that I confess I’m going on vague memories for em. But Knuckles is good in IDW

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

Those illustrations are a couple of years old at this point by the way. I think they showed them off in 2018 or 2019 for canvases that you could buy. There's a Shadow and Tails from that set as well.

That style has been used for merch that is sold in Japanese video game events.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'll take your word that he wrote Knuckles better in IDW, but I don't think Forces can be blamed for the way he characterized him in the prequel comic, seeing how he was much more goofy there than in the game. In fact, I felt that Forces was the first game in over a decade that didn't treat Knux as comedy relief. For once, he actually acted serious and didn't get made a fool out of in every scene he was in.

13. Snowbound

Snowbound

Opps, never mind then

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Three words: Operation Big Wave

15. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Hey, I didn't say he was perfect in Forces. Just an improvement over the complete doofus from previous games :V

16. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I'd argue it was less an improvement and more overshooting in the other direction. Instead of flanderizing Knuckles they gave him such generic dialogue that it would fit just as well if not better coming out of any other member of Sonic's entourage.

I haven't seen much of IDW besides the side-character spinoffs and random snippets here and there, but I liked Knuckles during the Archie reboot stretch. He got to be a competent defender of the Master Emerald, utilize his knowledge of Angel Island against an opponent, and they introduced that archeologist character hanging around to give him someone to bounce off when he isn't fending off unwanted guests or shattering and subsequently hunting down green rocks.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  17. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    If you're talking about knuckle's Dialogue in forces, I would think Sally would be one of the better characters for it. After all, she's had Knuckles' position before. (and I'm disappointed no one modded her into forces to take Knuckles' spot yet)

18. Ian Flynn definitely understands that there's a balance you kind of need with Knuckles; he can be serious, but you can't really forget that he's a bumpkin who lives on a remote island. The problem with most of Knuckles` recent appearances is that they veer too far into either side, on top of just overall not having much of a purpose. He only really shows up nowadays due to his popularity, but Sega don't have much interest in using him for anything interesting.

Even in Forces, his overall role as Commander gets no further elaboration. Even in the prequel comic, he nominates himself for no other reason than just because he could and in the game proper, the focus is on the Sonic's and Avatar, so Knuckles is just tossed to the wayside again.

In the pre and post reboots for Archie, Flynn had much more flexibility in how he was able to write Knuckles due to Sega's lack of involvement. In IDW though, since they're meant to reflect the games, Flynn has to adhere to them now, and since Knuckles doesn't really have much to do in the games at the moment, he's stuck on Angel Island until Sega says its ok to use him again.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. No matter how well Flynn can write it won’t matter much if all the characters who aren’t Sonic just exist to stand around in shot/reverse shot cutscenes delivering expository dialogue, hopefully he’s been given enough reigns so we can at least avoid another round of Tails being a defenseless coward.

20. I don't think the story is going to be anything to write home about, but at least the dialogue will be serviceable. I'm fully expecting Sonic is going to be the only playable character in this game, and maybe Shadow but only in the same context as Forces of being basically a reskin of Sonic.