don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    If they merged, this would be the most incoherent thread on the board

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Bold of you to say that with the continuity thread sitting in plain sight :V

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Yeah. It's a little thing but keeping them separated will keep both threads easier to follow, should anyone ever choose to reread them someday. For example, someone wanting to look back at launch timeframe impressions years down the road. It's smoother this way long term, and honestly there isn't a benefit to merging them anyway.

So uh. Frontiers.

4. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Frontiers was the most memorable game I played in 2022, solely because of the Titan fights. I had spoiled myself on the shakycam footage from September, but it absolutely did not effect how it felt in-game.

The combination of spectacle, fantastic and completely out of left field music, solid gameplay mechanics, the surprising length, and combined with the knowledge that this was only the FIRST major boss? It all added up to become my favorite Sonic boss, ever.

I feel confident in saying that Frontiers has the best bosses in the franchise. I don't know how the next game is going to top this. Save for if they for some reason announce a new 2D game lol.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    If they won't continue combat and giant bosses then I demand Shadow the Hedgehog 2 that continues the spirit.

6. Fadaway

Fadaway

I think there's a disparity between the tone of the game and the tone of the cutscenes that really takes my enjoyment down a notch. The game has a fantastic tone (or atmosphere), especially with the BGM and the big, lonely environments. I love that. The cutscenes, conversely, have the mood of a Saturday morning cartoon. It is like, “Hey Scoob. Hey gang. Let's go explore over here.” It seems really mismatched.

That is just my opinion, however. The western treatment of Sonic as a comedic “cartoon” thing (edit: mainly from goofy voice acting in this instance) has never sat right with me so I should have expected I'd feel this way.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  7. Fadaway

Fadaway

The game itself, though, is really, really good. A bit too derivative of BotW at times, but I dig it because Sonic works well in that type of landscape. I'm optimistic overall.

8. With Sonic Frontiers, Sonic Prime and Sonic Movie 2 being good, I think it's really safe to say that (2022) was really The Year of Sonic.

I mean, yeah, Sonic Origins was kinda mixed, but honestly I think that was fine as well. It's great being relevant again.

Really a good time to be a Sonic fan.

9. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Avatar by... well, myself. Member
    I really hope that 2023 will be as good, if not better than 2022 in terms of Sonic content. I actually have high hopes right now.

10. I think Origins was pretty satisfactory for everyone except us. I bought it with the sole intention of supporting the new cutscenes and, except for the noncanon parts (let’s not trigger @BlackHole too bad), they were pretty enjoyable.

This was definitely a good year for Sonic. Probably the best since 2003 at least. 1992 would be a stretch, but only Sega knows the real figures.

My gf saw a Sonic balloon in my neighbor kids’ window on his bday earlier this year so that’s a good sign (in Denmark people put up a bunch of Danish flags on their bdays so that’s how you can tell).

11. ELS

ELS

While good for the brand's profitability and merchandising I really don't like the direction the brand as a whole is taking. I suppose it beats the "comedy" of games from Colors onwards (though it did have more bright spots like Gens/Mania). But I don't like the movies, the comics don't feel right and the new characters in them do nothing for me. Frontiers also has left me feeling pretty hollow. Even those little animated cutscenes in Origins I don't know, feels different somehow. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe we grew apart but that old spirit that I felt had evolved pretty well from the start to about 2008 really never came back and each new thing just makes it feel further and further away.

I'm not trying to be negative or assert I alone know what's "right" and I'm positive I'm going to be hit with "why" or even a little nitpicking but my middle of the night thought on reading the last few posts is kind of grim. If what Sonic is now passes for "good" in the mainstream I'll never really get what I loved back. I'll just check in every now and again when there's a new game and be left with that yearning yet again, to feel something the way I did back in the day.

On reflection after finally having the nerve to type that thought out, coming to the realization I did. I think it's the people behind it. There's been a definite voice change. I haven't had time to keep up but it feels more different, more detached from that difficult to define spirit than ever before.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    It's been the same key people for the last 10 years. If it took you 10 years to realize this, I don't know what to tell you. Find another franchise.

13. ELS

ELS

Some of the same people, there's definitely some new people. Like letting Ian Flynn have as much control as he has and I forget his name but the artist that does all those animations that while well done and charming in their own way feel more like fanart than Sonic. Also the comic and movie are basically all new elements too.

14. MH MD

MH MD

Also the comic hit it’s stride with the best chapters yet, even the “spin off” comic this year have been extremely good

15. MH MD

MH MD

16. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Avatar by... well, myself. Member
    Coolest art I've ever seen, period.

17. MastaSys

MastaSys

Do you really think that everybody is fine a contemporary character Retcon the fact that Knuckles was alone in Angel Island, a established fact from the 90s game canon?
    Making a Knuckles like a dumbass for all of his life not noticing another anthro lived in his home turf where it's safety it's his whole responsibility?

I guess lots of english speaking folk had Archie and Fleetway to soften that blow, but not everybody else, myself included.
    And I'll bet Sega will avoid (or should IMO) challenge Angel Island lore when there's Mr. Penders in the corner.

I might be on the old fart side of the fanbase, but i like Sticks enough that i think she should have a proper introduction without riding Classic Sonic lore coattails

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Penders has nothing to do with the games or IDW so I don't even get what you're saying here.

19. MastaSys

MastaSys

I think all the drama that Penders did with Archie and Bioware still has impact on Knuckles and Angel Island story / lore direction by those who veto it, regardless on his current employment, his status, or Sonic Medium.

And as far Sega is concerned IDW and the games are pretty much the same thing in how they want the fans to perceive canon these days, so "It's just on IDW" doesn't even matter.

I might be wrong, i might be right, but that's how i feel currently.

20. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    https://twitter.com/AllCristina2/status/1609010079499534337?s=20&t=nI_RbHADFuCSoJdKSgloqg

Apparently Sonic Team are expanding and have opened up 9 new positions. It's going to be a couple of years before the next Sonic game even begins development but I'm interested to see where they go after Frontiers. It seems like Frontiers has had really strong financial success, so I'm hoping that means good things for the next game. There's no way they could possibly get worse right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List