don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    • Informative Informative x 10
    • List
  2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. upload_2022-10-14_11-45-51.png

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Bizarre that they'd even have to clarify that. Are people really so impatient that they think the animation had been cancelled? At any rate, I find it ironic that, on the game where Ian Flynn is the scriptwriter, the tie-in comic is being handled by Evan Stanley.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I certainly didn’t think it was cancelled just curious where it was lol.

6. Snowbound

Snowbound

There are also folks who don’t live and breathe sonic who may have forgotten about the animation. Those folks could’ve seen the announcement for the comic and been like “oh yeah that was the frontiers tie in thingy”. Sonic fans can be really fucking obnoxious so I’m sure what you’re saying is a factor… but part of a good marketing campaign is clarity so I wouldn’t read to much into this

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I hope they'll make more of an effort to connect it to the game this time around, the Forces tie-in comic was so weird with its continuity I'm not even sure it's supposed to be canon lol

8. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Sorry I took so long...

A few points before you watch.

1: Absolutely no story content is in the video!.
    2: Absolutely no gameplay footage from the unauthorised leak is in the video.
    3: All footage was filmed by me at EGX, or is trailer/livestream/B-Roll footage from Sega prior to October of this year.

Hence why I'm posting it here, I don't believe this falls foul of spoilers.

Stuff you'll probably be interested in,

• Combat design, there's a lot of potential here, and some cool stuff which Sega haven't really demonstrated yet, but could be showing off since it's there from a fresh playthrough.
    • Level design in the overworld, it's good, but it has some really bizzare problems that I frankly don't understand how Sega missed them. The issue being pathways preventing fun backtracking to comical effects.
    • Titan fights are... quite the let down.
    • Cyber Space stages wacky comical problems.
    Any questions I'll be happy to answer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    IDW made it from what I recall and the comic follows up on it I think. Someone who reads IDW will have to confirm.

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

Forces tie-in comics were made exclusively with Forces in mind, and it's mostly the first issue having weird phrasing about how long Sonic and everyone else have been doing their thing for, or how certain things are a little awkward with it and Episode Shadow. IDW's own stories were made post-Forces and their stories act as an immediate continuation from it.

Honestly it seems like no one proofread much of anything with all the different Forces addons at the time and you got weird inconsistencies between all of them.

11. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Yeah, the Forces tie-in comic was just something that went straight to social media. It was put together by talent now working on the IDW book, but it predates the IDW book altogether. Though yes, the IDW book took post-Forces as a base for the setting, but has been steadily been moving away from it since then.

12. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Y'know what I just realized?

....that purple-haired character they showed during the first Tailstube is nowhere to be found.

13. The tone of this video is so funny because I agree with most of it, but its going to piss off so many people lmao.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I’ve been thinking about that. The game was at one point called Sonic Rangers. Maybe she got scrapped in a rewrite?

15. MH MD

MH MD

Could simply be a new piece of unleashed concept art that we haven't got in the past yet

16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm not sure I like the ideia of tie-in comics. If the story is relevant, it should be presented in-game. If the story is not relevant, well, it's not relevant.

Maybe I'm biased due to Forces prequel comics, that had some continuity issues with the game itself, which was already a mess in terms of plot.

17. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    We’ve really not seen that much of the game officially. She could be an explorer who’s also ended up on the islands, she could be the voice directing Sonic, etc. If I recall correctly, we learned of her existence after Ian clarified the synopsis that featured SAGE as a creation of Eggman’s as being outdated, so I don’t think she’d have been included if the devs weren’t sure she’d be sticking around.

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

The way the comic cover shows for me, I feel like it's basically just leading up to why Sonic and co are on the Starfall Islands to begin with. The story of Frontiers is heavily centered around the discoveries you're to make there, so how Eggman discovered it or how everyone tailed him there only to get locked up in Cyberspace is presumably fluff they can use to hype up kicking off the story, via usual Sonic vs. Eggman escapades escalating heavily with some foreshadowing.

I'll be surprised if they're actually all that plot important whatsoever instead of just trying to close giant obvious gaps in the plot logic poorly like Forces did.

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Couldn't be, her design wasn't consistent with Unleashed's art style.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    We've gone through this conversation like three or four times lol

Flynn #knowingsmile'd the pink hair girl back when the Tailstube video came out, but we never had any confirmation what she was part of. She's obviously not an unused concept for another game, but she also definitely hasn't been scrapped in just a couple months.

Frontiers is promising a lot of stuff we haven't seen. I see no reason this would be any different.