don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Probably rough as in what you’d imagine would happen if the team that worked on Forces tried to make a open world game with free 3D movement while still trying to make it as automated as possible.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Open-world Sonic game with Generations-style levels?

Fuck it I’m buying ten copies.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Here's the timeline as I'm seeing based off what we know so far and leaks:

- So the video has a create date of 6/15/2020. If I had to guess, this game probably started development around here
    - This leak comes in January. That build was very likely alpha, pre-alpha?
    - We get the teaser today with a release date of 2022, with very little info provided there's a good chance this game is still being heavily worked on

So if this guy played in January and this likely doesn't come out until next year, possibly late next year, they probably played a super early build. It might have been glitchy or unpolished but what game isn't at that point?

You know what I bet the build played was the equivalent of the realllllyyy early Sonic 06 demo, the one where you could change the lighting on the fly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I'm on record saying open world design is the telltale mark of a boring game, and that's PROBABLY going to be the case here, but I'm super glad they're giving it a shot. Getting an open world to function at Sonic speeds means having to solve a novel problem for the industry. It's a level of ambition we haven't seen from Sega in a decade, it'll be really cool to see.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Open world sonic with lock on? Sounds pretty Adventure to me.

7. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    TIL GTA V, Spider-Man PS4, Super Mario Oddyssey, Breath of the Wild, and Ghosts of Tsushima (all games from the past 10 years) are boring games.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
  9. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

If this game really is open-world, then I have no idea what to expect.
    Open-world is literally the exact opposite of Boost gameplay- considering how Forces turned out, I don't have a clue if that's a good thing.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think open world can be great. You get to pick your route, explore, in their very nature you'd have to imagine less automation, the crutch of 3D Sonic games. About time they've tried it.

Also I wouldn't call Mario Odyssey "open world." It has big worlds, but they're essentially just giant Mario 64 levels (that's not a bad thing mind you). Bowser's Fury THAT'S open world and it's fantastic

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    They have to absolutely nail movement and level design for open world to be fun. That's a daunting challenge for any developer. Let alone current Sonic Team. If they pull it off, it could be rad.

Too bad Switch hampers that possibility.

12. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I've been ogling UE5 all day. Nanite is a godsend. The open world paradigm is certainly here to stay, but the good news is the lower the barrier to asset creation becomes, the more elaborate actual, functional level design is going to get. It just doesn't solve the problem that it's difficult to craft a landscape with authorial intent that cleverly accommodates all of a player's abilities when the player's route is impossible to predict. It makes empty space a necessity.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wouldn't it be amazing if this game played like Sonic Utopia? It won't but that'd be so fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    If it's good maybe we'll stop getting all these shitty open world fan games.

15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well I mean, we're all opinionated here, maybe he thinks those games ARE boring. I certainly can't be bothered to give a shit about GTA, and I think Mario Odyssey is still worse than Galaxy and maybe even Sunshine.

16. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Even if this ends up terrible, a big open world game sounds like the most ambition they've put into this franchise since Unleashed.

17. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Okay that's cool but he made Open World games seem objectively bad when there are a lot of amazing games in that genre for those who enjoy it. I'm here for it.

18. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    My gut feeling when I hear "open world Sonic game" is that someone played Sonic Utopia, and is trying to Sonic Team their way into a game.

19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I've had enough of boring boost gameplay and linear level design. So an open-world game at least sounds like a more interesting direction for Sonic Team to try.

Liking Sonic's slightly shorter looking proportions and I'm so happy classic Sonic didn't show up, lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What this doesn't look fun :eng99: