don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

The fact that scripted events still happen in such heavy use in the first place is still a sore point for me. Even new cyberspace level designs are filled with dash panels, boost rings, springs, and rails all to control exactly where Sonic moves and how fast, while all of his momentum is completely lost the instant he so much as leaves the ground in anything but a spring.

This was the kind of game that you'd think would've toned that back, yet the footage Sega sent IGN blatantly showed otherwise, and then Cyberspace just doubles down on that mistake. Sonic Team still can't trust players to handle Sonic themselves in any capacity, though the controls don't look all that great in the first place anyway.

2. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Scripted events will always be in Sonic, especially if you count boost rings, springs, and rails as scripted (I don't; I believe there's a difference between bouncing on a spring and being forced into a loop. I don't know how you can make springs not "automated" besides not having them, which is not an option since they exist for a reason) because Sonic is just as much speed-as-spectacle as it is speed-through-skill.

Being open world doesn't change that--what it does change is that you don't have to interact with those things if you don't want to, and if you do, they're short and minor and not, like, 10% of the level. Take climbing the tower--there are "scripted" elements, but there's a variety of them, and there is definitely a path you can take that is purely based around your own skill, i.e. running up and climbing.

And the unfortunate truth is that there are players that will not have fun if they're forced to have to "earn" their speed all the time, because Sonic is still a difficult game to play and understand if you don't. A streamer I've watched played Mania and she barely made it as far as Studiopolis because she just couldn't handle things like needing to Spin Dash up a ramp, spending an hour in that infamous section in Chemical Plant.

She never played it again, despite--no, because of Mania being more "skill based" than not. I feel like for the same reasons, she would enjoy Frontiers, if she ever plays it.

Automation-free Sonic is good in theory, but only theory. There's always going to be automation, the question is how much, and for Frontiers, it's not a lot.

On another note, Sonic's jumping momentum is something we can't be sure of because there is many instances of Sonic's momentum being carried while jumping. There is also a mechanic where running off of ledges definitely carries momentum too.

And finally, the controls look the best they've had in decades and feel the best they've had in decades according to the show floor players, so I can't possibly agree. What do you think is bad about them? EDIT: Also, "Sonic Team still can't trust players to handle Sonic themselves in any capacity" is a really weird take, when there are sliders that allow you to change how to handle Sonic.

Whew.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  3. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    How did the goal post get moved from "Why would they let you modify the same settings in a completely different game play style?" To "Should the cyberspace levels have automated sections or not?", again?

I still feel like those are entirely different things.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Going against the Mario grain by making a Mario-like.

5. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member

some pretty cool stuff in this trailer.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Lol

I don’t know this streamer, but did anyone tell her that she needs to spindash? Because needing to get up some speed to make it through a loop or up a ramp is not a hard concept to grasp. Nor one difficult to do

Loops and other momentum based obstacles don’t need to be automated. Obstacles such as ramps I don’t even think I need to explain why they don’t need to be automated because we freaking have examples in the games showing this. There’s a really simple one in City Escape off the top of my head.

As far as loops, not only do we have a number of fangames but also

No automation there.

I play SRB2 a lot, and can’t say I miss a lot of this “speed through spectacle” stuff you’re talking about at any point. And it’s springs aren’t “automated” as well, influencing your trajectory rather than completely changing it. Works just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    What the--

Oh my God, YES

9. I found it very funny they used the ending theme rather than the game’s actual theme. Almost says self-awareness if I didn’t know any better.

And oh yeah. Super Sonic exist. Free.99, too.

Only things that really stand out to me.

10. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    A lot of people do, but she does not want to be backseated. Being told how to play the game by random people is not fun. Actually, there is a separate argument that the classic games in particular are not good at actually telling or teaching you about a mechanic. I don't recall a single mention of the Drop Dash in Mania.

The fact remains that there are people who do not have fun with the more skill-based speed. You can dismiss them but they are people that SEGA and Sonic Team want to play the game.

Loops definitely need automation, and almost all of them do in some way. The S-loops in the classic games are automated. The Adventure games have automated loops.

The ending theme fits the... theme... of the trailer better than the main theme. That's also why they use the slow, melodic themes for other trailers.

11. S loops? Does that even appear anywhere besides green hill? I can’t recall off the top of my head….

….which tells me they aren’t essential.

I just provided examples showing loops don’t need to be automated

And again, this “skill based” speed stuff is not hard to understand. I’m sure if someone simply knew that this is a thing they need to be concerned about, needing momentum to overcome certain obstacles , they’d be able to figure out how to conquer such obstacles pretty quickly.

A simple tutorial would work just fine if they are really struggling. Which they shouldn’t be, but whatever.

12. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Them needing to be "essential" seems like goalpost moving. They are precisely an example of "speed-through-spectacle" and they are as if not more iconic and memorable than standard loops. And there are lots of S-loops.

The truth is that Sonic and automating is one in the same.

You seem to feel pride and superiority over playing a Sonic game right--I'm not telling you to not be, I'm telling you that some people have different ideas of fun. EDIT: Also, it's pretty funny to talk about knowing how to play Sonic but think S-loops are rare. That's not including set pieces that are clearly just made to show off, like the long stretches of running down slopes in Chemical Plant.

The mark about tutorials is especially heinous--people do need tutorials because "hold down and press the jump button several times to get a burst of speed" is not at all inherently intuitive.

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    New trailer looks pretty good.

14. Flare

Flare

That trailer actually has made me... excited. Darn I am in the cycle again.

Also, I can't wait to visit Death Mountain

15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member

this version of the trailer has sound effects, which they removed from the other version for some reason lol

• Informative Informative x 9
    • List
  16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I find it really weird that the U.S. version took out the sound effects because I feel like the sound effects add so much to the trailler. Like hearing the sounds of the environments and Sonic's interactions with the environment makes the trailer stand out way more to me. It feels like a more immersive trailer when its sound is more than just music.

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    [​IMG]

What is going on here?

I assume we're seeing Island 3/5 at the start, but this looks like something else entirely. Most interesting part of the trailer for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I know this is kind of a nothing trailer but I don't care I'm a dumb monkey and the synapses are firing. It's so nice to see HD versions of some cutscene snippets and Super Sonic popping up is always hype. If it weren't for the systems specs I'd have already preordered this on Steam by now.

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This game's two months til release and the trailers are still full of nothing but boss battles and quick cuts of things they want to hide. It's really starting to feel like there's not much more to the game than any of what we're seeing. And if there is, then they've done a really bad job advertising the game, thinking all this secrecy was worth it. lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. I love how the desert island has a lot of variation. Also, finally SEGA is making more effort to market this game, it's not perfect, but still way better than what we got before.

And I definely wasn't expecting seeing Super Sonic in this trailer.