don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I'm doing the same thing. I'm letting my opinion be formed by good word of mouth and positive perception of the games by people who played it and have an idea of what a Sonic game should be.

Pokemon Legends Arceus was sort of like this game. The footage didn't look appealing on it's own but with good word of mouth I checked it out and had the best Pokemon experience in YEARS. I will trust in the people saying the game is worth playing.

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    No you weren't, actually. You didn't say anything about your own opinions, you only pointed at others opinions and lightly implied that their criticisms aren't valid if they haven't played the game personally. If it were so simple as "having an opinion", you wouldn't have needed to make the initial post.

Even now, you're saying that the people who agree with you are the ones who "have an idea of what a Sonic game should be". Who the hell decides that? Are people not allowed to be skeptical of a game if someone who plays it thinks it's good?

3. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    As a certified Frontiers dickrider, people are completely allowed to not like the game. More power to you. But you can't ignore the myriad of people who played the game in-person and have positive things to say about it.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. I actually like the way Sonic seems to control at high speed. The most responsive he's been. Wished the open world design was better to take advantage of it.

5. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I'm gonna cum. Pre ordered 10 copies on each platform for both the NA and JP releases.

The game is officially going to surpass any other game in the franchise and if you don't agree, I know where you live.

6. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    This is why despite my many concerns I am actually paying attention to it. Before recently I had completely zoned out.

But keep in mind that the general public like Colors and were not completely against Forces either. Depend upon your expectations and preferences.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Mana

Mana

I've stated my opinions on the game several times on here, I didn't see the point of doing it again. I was skeptical but as more word of mouth came in I got excited and now I can't wait to play it myself in November.

When I said they "have an idea of what a Sonic game should be" I meant a lot of actual fans who have played multiple Sonic games have came out and said good things about it. Not casuals who haven't played Sonic since Sonic 2 and would be fine with it as long as it was functional and not buggy, genuine fans who have played multiple games and have an idea of what the average Sonic fan is looking for in a Sonic experience.

You can be skeptical, there's nothing wrong with that. But to see people nitpick about things like the length of the cyberspace levels or them copypasting the TUTORIAL level of Unleashed into the TUTORIAL level of Frontiers is a bit silly to me when I haven't heard any negatives about how those play.

I just also feel like some people being negative on social media would be parading the WoM if it was bad and using it to further their opinion but now that the WoM has been generally positive they still criticize the game rather than now giving it more of a "wait and see" point of view.

If it comes out and you end up not enjoying it, that's fine, no one says you have to agree with the majority opinion. I just think it'd be nice to just give the game a chance because almost everyone who's played it says it seems like they really are trying to make something special here and I think whatever they have in store for us will be great.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  8. Linkabel

Linkabel

This game sure does have a lot of tutorial levels then considering Sky Sanctuary and Chemical Plant also have layouts from past games.

9. charcoal

charcoal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Mana

Mana

I was talking about GHZ vs Windmill Isle. I don't think reusing parts of layouts from past games is inherently a bad thing, Mania did it to great effect, and Gens did it to a degree as well, I just don't think any other will be exactly copy pasted but that first one.

Also, I know this is a different debate, but will most people know or care that Frontiers reuses some level layouts? Generations is a 11 year old game that isn't on any modern platforms except for PC. I doubt most people playing will even notice and for me who hasn't touched Gens in 2 years it'll be a nice way to revisit these levels again.

Again if the game turns out being seen as bad by the large majority of people please feel free to use all I said against me but until then I'm still excited.

11. Its important to note that Generations is over ten years old (ugh.....) so most people outside of the Sonic fandom circle probably don't even remember its levels all that much, hence why most the impressions seem positive.

The reused levels is annoying to me strictly as a longtime fan who wants new content, but that doesn't really matter to someone who doesn't follow Sonic.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I feel like there's an atmosphere here that people feel like if they like it then that's bad somehow. No it's not. I'm very sceptical about the game so far, but it could turn out to be good. And even if it's bad, you can still like it. God knows I like bad games. I like Sonic R for a start! And I'm covertly a Lost World apologist.

So yeah, if you think it looks like something you'll enjoy, don't feel pressured into being cautious in your praise. Just say what you want.

13. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
  14. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    You say that but it's incredibly tiring to be told why you're wrong for liking a game by random fuckwads on the internet lol

15. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Agree, imo the new open zone footage only confirms what people have been saying about his controls. I've seen what appear to be footage of a couple of different "slider" settings (in one video I they accelerated very fast from a standstill), but I generally love the way Sonic turns tight circles at pretty much any speed, how easy it is to turn mid-jump and maintain your speed, in one footage they were using the dropdash, zipping around the opening area, etc and it looks genuinely fun to explore the open world and find new ways to get from Point A to Point B. I would much rather play a Sonic like this where you have the freedom to maneuver around and boost and roll over the terrain.

But Cyberspace is honestly disappointing so far. Not because the bridge from GHZ is back or whatever or because they reused a tutorial stage layout from Unleashed (as a tutorial), but because it looks very stop-and-go. It doesn't help that the player keeps running into walls in some of these recordings, but it doesn't always look like there's ample room to use Sonic's full range of movement abilities, and there is just too much grinding when I would rather be messing around with Sonic's ground controls. 2-2, 2-3, and 2-5 are starting to look a bit too much like 2D simulator / hallway simulator all over again, and nothing seems super creative about the level design so far, *except for the 3D city stage which looked more interesting in the trailer.

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Are there any "leaked" cutscenes?
    I know it's silly to try and form an opinion after one line in game, but Rogers voice somehow feels... less annoying in the latest trailer.

I hope it's improved voice direction and Ian's writing. He's no Drummond or Griffith, but maybe I could finally accept him as Sonic VA after Frontiers, if his performance is good.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That playthrough shared on Twitter (the one that features the drop-dash) actually makes the game look like it controls pretty decent. Guess that's what happens when someone who actually plays Sonic picks up the controller. The titans stuff still looks mixed and the cyberspace levels seem lazy as fuck, but the main open map gameplay might not be as bad as I'd expected. I can dig rolling and boosting around the maps.

If this game plays well then I guess it would be like Pokemon: Legends Arceus, a game that plays pretty alright and shows future promise, but has caught a bad case of ugly bland game disease.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. VenomTH

VenomTH

I feel like we've come so far from Naka's insistence on a one-button layout.

19. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    It's no longer if we should, it's about if we could.

20. charcoal

charcoal

Whoa, thats cool. Are they capped in a way that you cant have every stat maxed out at once or is it just whatever you want it to be?