don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Are you sure about Unleashed? My recollection is it was $30 on PS2, $50 on Wii and $60 on PS360.

2. My walmart has unleashed hd rn for like, $15. Too bad I already own it lmao :D

3. This is correct.

Nintendo games went for $50 at the time.

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I I’d say $50 games are in the same ballpark of being a “premium” price tag for a video game as $60, especially given how Nintendo’s major releases of that era (as previously mentioned) retailed at that price. The production values and content/scope have steadily declined since Unleashed (or even Black Knight); but I’d say we only started getting “budget” titles in the sense of major titles being light on content and heavily reusing assets in 2017.

Generations and Lost World I’d describe as transitional games between Unleashed/BK and where we are now. With Gens having an edge with its production values (not as good as Unleashed, obviously; but I’d argue it remains the last Sonic game that was a visual showcase) and Lost World having an edge in content and and asset reuse (heavy reuse of assets and level design across the board, but mostly limited to assets/levels made for the game itself).

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    My memory's foggy on the Wii version, but I remember very distinctly that the 360 version was $50. I asked the GameStop clerk why it was cheaper and he said, "I think they're sorry for the last one (Sonic '06)."

The fact that I don't remember the Wii version being $40 leads me to believe it was also $50. That transaction didn't stand out as unusual to me. The two versions actually came out a few days apart (Wii/PS2 on Tues and 360/PS3 on Friday), so I purchased both separately.

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure. ;)

upload_2021-6-14_19-58-51.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Got a bad feeling this means “see you in nine months” just like it did for Forces. :x

8. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    If that. I'm expecting this to be November of 2022

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Azoo means that the teaser trailer is the only (official) info we'll have for nine months at an event like SXSW, which was more or less the time span between the Project Sonic 2017 teaser and the full reveal of Forces.

10. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Ah, that makes sense. You're probably right about the 9 months guess.

11. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    yeah, if we don't hear anything by June 23rd this month then I'm convinced we're gonna be waiting a looong time for news on this game :shobon:

12. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    Sonic Team hasn't done a game play reveal on the 23rd for a long time now. I'm fairly confident they're following their reveal plan that Forces had- which is the 9 month wait between teaser and gameplay trailer as others have pointed out.

13. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Well, shut my mouth!

I do remember buying the PS2 version for $30 because hey, 30 bucks. Then I sold it on eBay for nearly that amount and got the 360 version later on a sale.

14. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I watched Nintendo's BotW sequel trailer today. This is what Sonic 2022 trailer should have been.

Even the first teaser of Zelda BotW sequel showed more.

Damn it, Sonic Team. Damn it.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I mean, we literally already said this right back at the start of the thread.

Colours is this year's game, I'd forget about Rangers for now.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think that's true only by the slightest of technicalities and it's an unfair comparison. It's officially being referred to as a BotW sequel. The gameplay is a pretty well known quantity. Besides that, all we really knew from the teaser was that Link and Zelda were underground on some new mount and Garon's up to shit again.

Not to mention, it has been two years between that teaser and today's. At least we'll only be waiting about a year to hear more about Rangers.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  17. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Comparing Sonic games to flagship titles developed and produced by the largest gaming company on the planet is just asking for extra disappointment. Be kind to yourself. And also, like, realistic. come on.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  18. Well...not for nothing, but Sonic used to be a flagship franchise itself, and even that legacy still lingers to this day. It's kind of hard not to compare the two given that.

You can't...forget that Sonic is in fact an icon, and the fact that Sega refuses to treat him as such is what's frustrating to so many people.

19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    That would be great, but it’s hard for SEGA to justify throwing a huge budget at an icon that‘s widely considered to have a fairly poor track record in the past few decades, especially when the last times they did it resulted in 06 and Unleashed. And as much as I love the latter, let’s not pretend it was received much better than the former.
    There’s also the fact that SEGA is no longer anywhere near as big as Nintendo. They don’t have the kind of money that Nintendo does.
    Trust me, it pains me to my core, but Sonic‘s days of being a major icon are over.

20. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I just meant to compare the amount of material shown. Agree, Sonic won't be technically like The Legend of Zelda, but that doesn't change the fact that the first Zelda BotW 2 Teaser came out about 2-3 years ago, and now we've got a more specific teaser for the game, which is scheduled to be released next year.

Meanwhile, Sonic Team remains completely silent and around a year before Sonic 2022 premiere, it shows an enigmatic teaser - instead of shedding a little more light on the new title.