don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Finally...sand. I guess we'll see snow and lava as well. So creative.

2. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Triumphant return of Sand Hill

3. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    After listening to it again it sounds less and less like Nate. Sounds more like Vic Fuentes, the lead singer of Pierce The Veil. His voice is a lot more high pitched.

4. SAGE is voiced Megumi Hayashibara, wh famously is thevoice of Rei Ayanami of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

If this game starts delving into existential shit like in Eva, then its going to simultaneously be the best and worst Sonic game in recent years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Ah, no, see, these are huge mechas, but for legal reasons they’re not E.V.A.s. Instead, Eggman will engage in mech-mech combat with S.A.G.E. in his latest creation, the Kevin Eva.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Just kind of nitpicking here, but just for the record the “meta era” games were also written in English first. (Well, outside of Forces which was originally written in Japanese but rewritten in English then localized back into Japanese.) A lot of people complain about the “English localization” taking liberties with those games’ scripts, but the final Japanese versions are actually based on the scripts they take issue with and not the other way around. Ian is just filling the shoes of Pontac+Graff this time, though Frontiers appears to be narrative-heavy so his workload is probably significantly larger than theirs.

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

I said "Meme Era", but wanted to say "Meta Era" xD

And yes, I know SA1&2 also had their localization pearls.
    But I'd rather not compare their plots and the Meta ones.
    Each era had different tone and goals, separate beasts.

8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    fuck it the last two lines in the dialogue are really cool to me, the undertone of wonderment/tragedy to Sonic's whole nature by an outsider who isn't used to his borderline Trickster God nature is neat

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Its always fun to get an outsider/newcomer perspective on Sonic, it helps things stay fresh. Its why I never really understood the complaints about too many characters back in the day. I mean, I understood it, but still didn't really agree with it.

10. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Fuck it. I'm going to Gamescom.

11. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Oh come on. It's hard to get away from the basics of mother nature.

12. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I've listened to them since middle school and I don't hear any resemblance at all. He's just got a high voice, the tone is completely different. I don't think it's Nate either, but it's really hard to even make out what they're saying.

13. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    First island is Aelio, then you go to Retem, next is Kvaris and we don't know the name of the volcano region from NGS yet or the hi-tech thing above, but essentially Air/Wood > Earth > Water > Fire > Void/Metal. Not just unoriginal, but self-plagiarizing too this time.

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

Unoriginal? Self-plagiarizing? Why?

15. MH MD

MH MD

it's an open world game. check any open world game out there, no matter how good and well-recieved it is, it always boils down to grass-snow-fire etc., or cities.

Like just look at BOTW and Elden Ring, two of the most received open world games ever, they all have grass.

like....what people do expect to see exactly?

Since Sonic 3 had grass\sand\snow\lava zones, i guess it wasn't an original or good game :V

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah being mad there's grass, sand, typical level tropes is less "being mad for a valid reason" and more "being mad because I'm looking for an excuse to be mad"

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

How could they be more original or creative?
    Only if they went a more unorthodox path...

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Also people seem to be very quick to forget we’re going to be getting traditional level tropes in the cyberspace levels.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean they could have made the environments a little more Sonic-y, but overall ya basic tropes are to be expected.

Sonic Colors, Unleashed, and Generations all have environments I'd love seeing expanded to open world, but some levels translate better to open world than others (Sky Sanctuary would make a bad open world level, so would Seaside Hill, and Crisis City would get real old real fast. Most of Unleashed would work for open world locales, probably in part because the tropes are more grounded, much like this game. Tropical Resort and Planet Wisp would be nice environments too)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Ooooh, if we ever got an open-world, seamless version of something akin to Colors' interstellar amusement park, I'd be so happy. xD Maybe next time...