don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I’m seeing crash bandicoot personally, but I can always appreciate good art

2. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Even if it's tepid, it's nice to see Retro excited for a Sonic game.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm seeing Spyro.

4. RikohZX

RikohZX

If the leaks of tackling the origin of the Chaos Emeralds in some fashion is true, not to mention Amy losing her memories as our first game objective to really resolve, maybe they want a high stakes mystery that is less about yet another villain to fight and day to save but something more integral to Sonic's "lore" going forwards with real risks to the cast.

But that's all theory and conjecture at best and hopium at worst. Could just be that Sega saw the backlash and doesn't want to risk getting ganged on, or some contractual coverage thing with IGN that makes them want to prevent having anything leak to mess with the exclusive info agreement.

5. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I always thought with her low-key tarot thing, Amy might not be a bad choice in exploring some of the more mystical stuff in the series. Even for Knuckles, it seems like it's more culturally-important than anything else.

But I'm gonna be honest, I don't think Amy has a specific significance in this one, since Tails undoubtedly has his own challenges and collectibles, and no doubt others will too (Eggman?). This feels like a story about the islands, the civilization that used to be there and what they left behind, while a Generations-style "Sonic saves his friends" plot is going on in the foreground.

6. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    If that's really what they're going to do with this game, SEGA's got some balls tackling lore they, historically, have been very adamant about not explaining. Especially since if the story (or game) is bad, it's going to retroactively sour the plots of previous games. It's like how Skyward Sword tried to explain the origin of the Master Sword, but it was such a waste that it retroactively made the MS less cool.

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    That is because somewhat recently Ian Flynn told in his podcast he knows things about the origin of the Chaos Emeralds he obviously cannot talk about. I doubt Sonic Team had ever thought about that before, and since now they have, and Ian is involved in Frontiers, it kinda makes sense.

8. Snowbound

Snowbound

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
  10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I feel kind of bad for the guy. He just answered a question and it was made to look like he was promising something he probably doesn't even get to decide on.

11. Snowbound

Snowbound

Agreed. I do not envy Iizuka lol

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Seriously for as lovely as his job sounds or as lovely as even working with Sonic sounds sometimes, ughhh the fans and the clickbait and the bad faith journalism must get exhausting.

13. It took me a while, but I finally caught up here- gotta admit it was very amusing to watch everyone go from doom and gloom to “hey, wow I can dig this” over the course of a few hours, quite the emotional whiplash lol.

Just want to touch on a few topics then (attempt to) make one thorough argument:

I don’t buy that this game was ever truly delayed- ie it was originally gonna launch in 2021. Unless there’s evidence to the contrary, I really think SEGA is just spinning that yarn in a bid to garner a little more credibility in the eyes of skeptics.

I can accept that there won’t be physics akin to the Adventure titles, but I really wish they went with the spin dash and roll opposed to the boost. All this sprawling and vertical terrain, and you’re telling me the spin dash wouldn’t be better suited for traversal? I really hope the rumors about the spin dash being there are true. For what it’s worth, I believe the boost functions different in this game. Maybe the reason we’re not seeing a HUD element for the boost gauge is because it can’t be preserved- I’m thinking it serves more as means to quickly accelerate and reach top speed, but the barrier and preservation of it from all the other titles are gone in order to accommodate the exploration and combat.

Speaking of combat, I am glad to see some actual depth here. I never liked it when enemies served as straight up cannon fodder, it just made everything too easy IMO. At the same time, it doesn’t need to be Elden Ring or Kingdom Hearts with a shit ton of options. I always wanted a reasonable common ground and so far it looks like this may deliver.

My last point here lies with the automation. This was discussed more
    a number of days back before the better footage came out, but I want to offer an insight:

I believe most of us actually want a healthy degree of scripting in 3D Sonic games- it’s just that we want it to be way more cleverly disguised than the way it is and has been for years.

I think about Sonic 3&K- that game is considered one of Sonic’s best 2D outings and for good reason. But actually think about how “automated” it can sometimes be. Zone gimmicks such as the hands in HCZ, the boosters and spinning cups in LBZ, the loop things in DEZ, (I’m sure there are better examples) essentially throw you for a spectacle ride with barely any input needed from the player, with the key difference being they integrated so effectively with the momentum based physics and level design that you barely notice. Plus, the gimmicks varied in how they looked and function from zone to zone.

I wanna say that since 06, these kinds of gimmicks that helped define Sonic’s gameplay have been almost completely neglected- and in their place we’ve had the same dash pads, springs, pulleys, rails, etc with a different coat of paint every time. The point I’m trying to convey is that I don’t think we would mind some automation as long as it’s implemented more creatively and organically.

That’s my biggest gripe here. It’s gonna be the same boosters and springs and jump pads from hour 1 to hour 10. This “open zone” philosophy should have lended itself to getting away from that repetitive crap. But they’re all just prevalent as ever. Hopefully there are enough unique puzzles and other interactions to distract from that, but I won’t hold my breath.

14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I'm honestly disappointed he even has to say that out loud lol. He never explicitly said he was going to make Adventure 3, just that he would like to do that someday. I'm not sure how SonicTubers and Twitter ppl got the impression that he just announced SA3 and just started making all these videos about it.

I think a lot of people just think it's harmless clickbait and don't realize there is an actual human being - love him or hate him, doesn't matter - who has to deal with this mess and the inevitable rumor mill that is generated pretty much any time he opens his mouth lol.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  15. RDNexus

RDNexus

You think they care? If they did, they'd either treat it accordingly or tread through it carefully.
    Some only care about hyping and enjoy the fire, others only care about click and view counts.

16. Frostav

Frostav

Frankly, the fact that he even is interested in continuing Adventure is already news on its own, even if he didn't specifically promise a new one. I don't think he's ever so directly stated "yes, I do want to make SA3 one day" in an interview before.

17. MH MD

MH MD

Pretty sure he did, he also said he would like to make SA1 remake someday

18. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Ordinarily I wouldn't think much of this type of thing if it wasn't for the fact that this tweet went pretty viral on twitter.

Not to diss the guy who made this edit, but it looks a bit stupid lol

I think there are a lot of valid critiques of Frontiers going around and then are some that are just surface level.

My worry is that the surface level problems kind of muddy the waters in terms of how SEGA are meant to respond to criticism because they never really get to the heart of the problems.

I can't blame Iizuka and co. for not wanting to delay the game further in response to criticism. When the most vocal point of critique is just the people saying "this game looks like an Unreal Engine tech demo" how the hell are you actually meant to respond to that? It's not very constructive lol

I feel like this may also be the reason why they shy away from other playable characters. The surface level critique of "sonic's shitty friends" never really got to the real reason why they weren't liked in previous games.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. He literally said in the IGN video, “I would like to return to SA one day… I don’t know what our next game is yet…” and this basically says the same thing. Idk why any clarification is necessary.

Anyway, to any potentially disappointed SA-fans (though I doubt anyone here was dumb enough to really think Iizuka confirmed the game), pretty much all of these games people clamor for eventually get made. Crash 4, a new classic Sonic game, Shenmue 3, FF7 Remake, etc… it’s just a matter of when.

20. VenomTH

VenomTH

Not sure if anyone posted or noticed this, but we seemingly got confirmation that the stamina bar used for boosting is the same green stamina wheel icon that appears above the character in Breath of the Wild and that it depletes at the same rate, according to the Kotaku article.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List