don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    A normal, healthy reaction. I don't think Iizuka is responding to folks like us per se, who are forming more nuanced opinions about what we're seeing and understanding that most of it is extremely isolated footage with no context. Like, for instance we here can form negative opinions and rag on the game but we generally understand we need to see more to confirm certain suspicions. But your average LittleTimmy98 or JonnyHasNoCuts on Twitter will tell you - in completely absolute terms - that this game is garbage because it doesn't play like XYZ game. He probably sees so much "this isn't Sonic Adventure 3, send it back!" on twitter that anything else gets drowned out.

Also edit: TheGamer's article claims that the NDA they signed says they can't talk about the action stages until June 29th.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    This footage is disgustingly better than the other stuff lmao

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Does it look graphically better than it did before? Yes.

Do I still hate the entire upgrades and every-enemy-is-a-slog aspect, as well as the open world aspect? Also yes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Man, I'm just... so happy

The more we saw of Sonic Forces, the more worried we got

The more we see of Sonic Frontiers, the happier and more excited everyone feels.

Can we just talk about how wonderful that is?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Game looks cool, I suppose. I'm convinced it will be okay-at-worst at this point.

Obviously the technical stuff is a work in progress, but we're seeing improvements here already and I hope those improvements continue.

Sonic's animations still aren't great and, checkmate reddit tweens, it's not a different model. Honestly? This is the thing I most hope/worry about being updated. It's clear the rest of the game has a roadmap laid out, but this part still looks rough.

The idea of freely customizing Sonic's physics is...fucking crazy. Is there ANY other game franchise that has you alter the controls of the main character with a bunch of goddamn sliders? This sounds like something one of the leaks would make up just to convince people the game would control the way anyone reading it wanted to. I guess I'm not really against it? You only have to figure out the right setup for you once, but what an absurd decision.

Story is...nyeh, I have to actually see what it's doing to judge.

Combat looks fun, but similarly, there's a lot of stuff I'm seeing that I don't quite understand, and I don't think I'll be able to make a judgement without either playing it myself or a lot more footage.

I think if this game just manages to make boost stages more interesting than Forces, it'll be a good game. That doesn't feel like an incredibly high bar to clear.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Guess this one won't be for you then.

The fun of a fragmented series, you're never going to please everyone

7. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Poor IGN. An "exclusive first look" at footage that got outclassed in under 2 weeks.

Game's looking cool, though. Let's hope the upward trend continues.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. MH MD

MH MD

Maybe IGN really wanted to sabotage this game marketing after all :V

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Nah, we know the footage was provided by SEGA. Not that it excuses the shoddy marketing, but I think there was a desire to ease everyone into this shift in gameplay rather than throw too much at us at once.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. I mean, Iizuka did emphasize quite a bit that, for the most part, you get to choose how much you want to engage in combat. No one is forcing you to interact with those systems much. Plus, I am pretty sure any upgrades would mostly have to do with that so maybe you can ignore the skill tree a little bit, too.

As far as open world Sonic…

I used to be pretty strongly against this. I still feel conflicted at times. But the bottom line is this:

The main purpose of level design, correct if I’m wrong, but It’s to make you come into situations to deal with. And level design in a platformer is there to make you use your movement mechanics in a certain way to deal with that situation.

if those mechanics are fun (which is a different argument if they are In this case) and the world provides a reason to use them challenging and engaging way by it’s design…

I don’t think that it REALLY matters if it’s open or linear. I mean, I guess pacing is a thing. But even a linear level can have crap pacing and thus feel empty and boring.

As far as speedrunning…

yeah. That is just asking you to use your mechanics in a certain way. And perhaps they can make it to where you have to use those same mechanics in the same way exact with a different purpose. Instead of going fast to a goal, it’s reaching a certain area in the world. Which is what Frontiers appears to be trying to do….

however poor it’s attempt May be

11. MH MD

MH MD

i meant it as an obvious joke, just thought it was funny how different the build IGN have and the gameplay today was, which was ALSO sent by SEGA, all different sites use them.

12. I don't think Frontiers needs to be a "masterpiece" or a "goty"; I think I can be pretty happy with a "it's good enough". I think that's what Sonic need in the end, a game to have fun. It seens this time Sonic Team really are putting a lot of effort on the development. Maybe after all, this game can open the doors for a new "Adventure" game, who knows.

Crossing my finger to the Cyberspace level be consistent with the rest of the game.

13. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Oh, sure, I expected it was, but I do think there's gotta be something up with the huge shift between the initial footage and what we're seeing now.

14. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Damn, actually looking better. If this trend continues, we'll have a good game on our hands :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    ...I don't think there is a huge shift. There's significant technical improvements, that much is true. But the core gameplay is not demonstrably different. All we're seeing here is that they're working hard on polishing it. Yes, the videos IGN showcased look worse, but has a lot to do the person playing the game in them is playing significantly different than we're seeing now, not because the game itself has gone through a revolution.

I think people are more positive now because we've confirmed that the game has always been capable of looking better than what we saw, not that the devs changed it into something better between then and now.

16. Taylor

Taylor

The aesthetic is very sterile and doesn't feel very "Sonic" at all, but the gameplay does look better. Having two different control styles is is a really good idea, because the idea of using boost-style controls in an open world game sounded horrific to me. Still not digging the combat much, leave that shit back in Sonic 06 :V

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The adjustable control values seem more like a debug thing than an actual in-game option, honestly. I don't know why they'd be in the demo, but who knows

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    The shift I was referring to was in the quality of the gameplay featured, i.e. snappier demonstrations of the combat and such.

19. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Well, I think whoever they got to do the first one wanted to show the game off slowly, or possibly had webbed fingers, and the new footage is either from someone else playing or the first guy decided it was time to play differently/remove the webbing from his hands.

Sometimes you just have a bad showcase.

20. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Meanwhile, in Brazil...
    Actually not Brazil, just a Brazilian who's present at SGF.

Not sure if anyone here understands Portuguese, but there ya go. Another person who played it and claims it has serious issues.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List