don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    EDIT: For posterity, our spoilers thread from around the game's launch: The Sonic Frontiers *SPOILER* Thread (With Unmarked Spoilers) | Sonic and Sega Retro Forums (sonicretro.org)

Story penned by Ian Flynn, Morio Kishomoto directing.
    Sonic Frontiers Drops The Blue Blur Into His First Open World Game - Game Informer

First revealed at the end of May 27th's Sonic Central 2021 broadcast by Iizuka.

E: Here's the 4k trailer, by the way.

And, as expected, your typical 4chan gameplay leak.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Sonic 'zap
    Sonic 'vg
    Sonic 'uiO
    upload_2021-5-27_16-31-20.png

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Honestly, I don't think we should even bother discussing this game until they actually show something. It exists, that's all that you need to know right now.

But the thread was gonna be made anyway, so =P

4. Sonic looks a bit shorter.

His face is obscured for some probably relevant reason.

The tone of the trailer is different than the 2016 Forces one, which also showed no gameplay.

Not advertised as a spiritual follow up to Colors/Gens in the way Forces was.

Reasonable chance that some changes have been made to Sonic in 3D. The question is how fundamental they are. I think development of this game started in '19, so the betting money is on them not being very drastic, and moreso subtle changes to the basic boost mechanics. But more significant changes are not yet ruled out like they were for the 2016 trailer.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, this trailer shows nothing really, butttttt it's not completely useless. It's a more realistic environment, so hopefully Lost World's/Forces' art direction is officially dead. It's a cg trailer, so you can't make any real direct comparisons, but the animations had some bounce and fluidity to them unlike Forces' reveal trailer which had a very stiff animations from the get go (like slightly more movement than the in game animations).

Then there's that aesthetic with the logo and the Sonic Team logo. It's almost like ruins or alien or Horizon Zero Dawn esq. It almost gives me SA1 vibes for some reason.

6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    The phantom ruby will presumably make a return based on the pink squares surrounding sonic. So maybe infinite will return as well. I'm interested whether the avatar will return I think so based on the cosmetic skins and items in ultimate.

Honestly different skins is a realy good idea no more different continuities just designs that can be unlocked.

7. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Further down the chain is the actual filepath, including the folder structure. Wow, that's a slipup.

9. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Google definition of ranger is as follows:

1. a keeper of a park, forest, or area of countryside.
      "park rangers"

2. a member of a body of armed men.
    So I think a new set of antagonists will be introduced based on this. (Byeeeee infinite) and they will protect some place like the babalon garden or sky sanctuary.

That would be interesting I can't remember the last time they added to sonic's lore in a meaningful way. Maybe we will finally meet the South Island bird people!

10. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Zap!
    [​IMG]
    Sonichu Game Confirmed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Rangers makes me think there's a chance we'll be able to play as others besides Sonic. This doesn't seem to include Classic (which thank God he can do his own thing), so who knows?

Either way, please no Forces method of random characters existing for the sake of existing. If they're just going to talk my ear off and I can't play as them I don't want to see them.

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Sonic's shorter proportions look very SA1, and at 0:08 can you see one of his shoes bent upwards just like in the SA1 box art. I don't think they were ever depicted like that outside of SA1 art. Hmmm...

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya his shoes appear longer and less stiff/tall. It's definitely slightly different at least. Will this apply to the other characters though if there? Because while Sonic often is changed in small ways, the rest has been the same since 08.

14. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I've been wondering if this and anything else that was revealed today was supposed to appear last year at SXSW until it got canned due to Covid.

15. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Apparently, the 4K version of the teaser was leaked and metadata suggests the game is called "Sonic Rangers". Source

Edit: Whoops, seems someone already posted as such, my bad.

It's certainly a strange name. Curious to see what the context is.

16. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    The trees have 06 levels of realism, that's exciting

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Someone pointing an interesting thing out to me. You know that 4chan post I linked earlier? Seems pretty unreal, open world, the "Ghost girl" and the spincycle move. Posted a few hours ago.

However, what I did not know is that another leak of a very similar nature was posted back in January. It has the exact same beats - open world, spincycle move, and the mysterious "ghost girl".

It also mentions Sonic Rangers by name, something we now know of due to the metadata. So this is either an elaborate hoax, or we have an actual leak on our hands.

• Informative Informative x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. I will bet $100 right now this game has nothing to do with Sonic Adventure in any substantive way. Like, there could be a nod here and there, but, like, the game won't be trying to be a SA successor.

It seems possible though that it could be trying to redefine 3D Sonic. Not from the trailer clip, but in the name Rangers (if it's true). That to me implies a large territory for Sonic to explore. But we have no idea how it will manifest itself in gameplay, unless something else is shown or leaked.

19. This is getting juicy.

My only concern is that the leaker didn't seem to enjoy the open world gameplay.

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    This seems credible enough to me. Fascinating that such a large shift for 3D Sonic had such a standard CG teaser trailer. Very, very curious to see more now.