don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I thought 1841 was some year of witch hunt, I was very confused with this discussion.

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    This discussion has a lot to do with Frontiers

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    And just to be clear, I never stated fantasy cannot co-exist with sci-fi, or that fantasy should be removed from Sonic, or Sonic Frontiers. I said the opposite precisely. What I said is that I didn't want to see the sci-fi elements continually eroded, but preferably increased, in Sonic Frontiers. Also, that I wish Sega, and fans, took more interest in Sonic's foundational elements, rather than treating these aspects as merely a means to an end, and unimportant. I did not say this was more important than the gameplay, or that it should be given preeminence to the gameplay. Both need work, but only the gameplay and other inconsequential quibbles get attention (generally speaking).

I for one can say that Sonic appears to have made a profound impact on my development as an individual. I've always been concerned about the environment. Technology, computers and robotics are a strong interest. I am fascinated in the advancement of society and our trend toward dystopia. I enjoy aesthetics, aesthetic themes and electronic music. All these things appear to have been initiated by Sonic. Coincidentally, my Dad was even a squat man with a mustache, and vice-president of a mining implements and mining company. I used to walk around the industrial facilities and pretend they were Robotropolis. My dad collected and built cars and our home garage was its own little shrine to machinery and beautiful machines. If I became a fan today it's hard to say how the experience would color me and my development, because I really don't see anything meaningful. No significant narratives or social commentaries. No identifiable art direction, music or signature style (it's beautiful, but not identifiable, like generic Pixar models). No dialectics... Just a boilerplate good v. evil story that gets washed out in the noise.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    807A23D0-A3AB-4191-BE86-F53D476DEFAD.jpeg Has it been confirmed that this little thing mentioned on Sonic’s Japanese Twitter will have some more Frontiers info? Or should I not expect anything else?

5. _Sidle

_Sidle

Other than "hey these trailers came out recently" with some discussion on what's been shown in them, I wouldn't expect anything major regarding Frontiers or Movie2/SvK.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Don't the community managers in Japan do regular Sonic themed streams like the American ones do? It's typically the same sort of thing as those. I wouldn't exist any news there and if there was going too be news, I'd expect it would be announced globally.

7. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Who' going to rock the place? Sonic Team will with Sonic Frontiers! I'm telling you there is a very slim chance Sonic Team would mess up a game like this because if they do then that will be the END of Sonic as everypony knows it.

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Oh Jesus

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I mean, you get told this in ARR by Midgardsormr when you first meet. I think it gets said again in Heavensward.

10. So how about that Sonic Frontiers, right? :eng99:

Really though, to bridge these two now completely unrelated topics back together as they were, I once heard it said that "magic is just science that we don't understand yet".

I feel this especially rings true in the Sonic franchise of all places, but I do have to say, I think Sonic does more with the supernatural rather than just "magic" (black knight notwithstanding). So it'll definitely be interesting to see what kind of plot Frontiers is going for.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    No it wouldn't. People say that every game, and the franchise has definitely been in worse places than it is now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Another bad game wouldn't kill this series. The only thing that could possibly kill this franchise is a great game. Just look at how Mania killed the 2D series!

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    The end of Sonic will be when these games stop selling. As long as there's an audience, he'll continue to exist.

Also I don't think this has been mentioned here so I guess I might as well share it

Frontiers has been shown off behind closed doors and according to one of Jeff Gerstmann's sources, apparently the game managed to be quite impressive. That's pretty neat.

I wonder if they were impressed just as a Sonic fan or in a more general sense? I'd love it if Sonic could appeal to more non-Sonic fans while still retaining the series' core identity.

14. One of my friends that usually don't care about Sonic got interested on Sonic Frontiers, just judging by the trailer.

15. Pengi

Pengi

Even if the games did stop selling, it wouldn't take too long for someone to bring it back. A once hugely successful IP that declined as a result of bad releases is still a valuable IP, with good releases it has the potential to be successful again. We've seen this with Mortal Kombat, Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider.

16. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’m not familiar with Gerstmann at all. Does he have a good track record in terms of his “sources” info and views panning out?

17. My Sonic hating older brother actually expressed interest in giving this one a shot if it plays well. Seems like it's going around.

18. Nope

Nope

I'm glad normal people are finding this brand new open world entry to be interesting and I hope they're happy getting bored with this one and just turning on a more fun open world game like Assassin's Creed instead.

19. When can we get a dislike button lol?

I've seen two kinds of people voicing against this game- those with legitimate concerns, and those who are solely in here to try to ruin everyone else's joy because they have nothing better to do with their life. Those of you who fit the second category...

Get out of here. Really. Many of us are sick of you guys adding nothing to the otherwise engaging and thought provoking discussion around this new game, only coming in here to needlessly bitch about how hopeless you are and how no one else should be happy either, with the greatest extent of your reasoning being nothing more than either "BOTW ripoff" or "it's just gonna be bad no matter what".

And far be it from me to backseat moderate, that's the last thing I'm trying to do here, but it's quickly gotten grating over the past few months coming to the site, seeing a new notification on one of my favorite threads, only for the new post to be another variant of "I'm not happy, so you can't be either". I guess you could consider this a plea from a community member more than anything, but really- when I come to a thread for a good discussion, how miserable and hopeless you are should not be the hot topic of the week.

(For real though, maybe I'm alone in this, but I think a dislike/downvote button would be handy- people could quickly express disapproval of someone's statement (or just bitching, let's be real) and not have to write walls of text attempting to counter in a place not fit for petty arguments).

But I digress. Just wanted to say that a good few Youtubers I watch who aren't into Sonic anymore (or at all) are expressing interest and intrigue in Frontiers. Looks like revealing the game at the game awards was the right move- people are talking.

• Useful Useful x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. MH MD

MH MD

I doubt you would find many journalists who are hardcore sonic fans, to my knowledge, many journalists got to see it behind the scenes and were impressed
    Jeff Gerstmann is one of the most respected game journalists out there, he founded Giant Bomb after famously got fired from GameSpot in 2007 due to him giving Kane & Lynch a bad score, while it was advertised in the same site, he refused to give under the pressure of the publisher and their marketing.

and Giant Bomb has one of the most known and long running podcasts out there, so long story short, yes he is trustworthy, especially given how he is actually the sort of person who would just make fun of the series and be brutal -and i think he did in the past-, for him of all people to actually go out of his way to say that people he knew thought it was actually good...is interesting to say the least

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List