don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    As someone who took approximately 30 minutes to beat the first boss in Generations last night, I am ok with this extended length.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    yeah like, I honestly kind of dread picking up games like Persona 5, no matter how much I'll enjoy them, because that game is 90 hours long even if you're good at the general MegaTen mechanics. when the original version of that game came out, it took me roughly a month to finish, and that was with playing it every single night from release. I'm not a student anymore, I just don't have the time to sink time into games like that regularly.

Mind you, I also approach buying video games differently from most people because I have a significant backlog...generally I buy new games so rarely at launch that a $60 once or twice a year is fine for me no matter how long the game is, because I view them as individual experiences that I'll hopefully enjoy and then will go into the list I have of "games to replay" over the next few years.

3. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    That's fair I also rarely ever buy new games. I bought Mario 3D World new, but before that I think the last new $50/$60 game was Sonic Heroes. With a toddler in the house now I also don't have much time to play video games.

4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Sonic Frontiers = 3 hours of Sonic's campaign + 17 hours of that fishing mechanic mentioned in the Nintendo Everything preview.

5. Taylor

Taylor

Apologies if this has already been posted, but:

If there's a chao garden in this game, I'll take back the last 5 bad things I've said about it.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Those things are called Kocos, I don't think they're chao.

Anyway, dunno what to think about that length. Mostly I just disagree. I don't think it will take me that long, Mr. Kishimoto.

7. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Maybe there's a new raising simulator, just not with Chao.

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    yeah, there'll be a Wisp garden instead

actually now that I think about it, this might be the first Sonic game directed by Kishimoto without any Wisps lol

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Well don't count your wispons before they're hatched, the team has every chance to spam them in the action stages. Probably not though.

10. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    You joke, but I wouldn't mind a Wisp Garden, in fact I like Wisps.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I mean, that thing would get modded into being a chao garden either way.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Add the time length to finish a standard playthrough to my list of worries. It takes months for me to put 30 hours into a game.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    See I actually like the length, ffs Forces took 3 hours and offered no incentive to go back. Even if this doesn't have the full replayability of the classics, if it's a fun ride well great I don't want it to end in 5 hours. I put 100 hours into Horizon Forbidden West and enjoyed it. 30 to 60 hours sounds like the amount of content I'd expect from an open world game

14. Remember it took me 180 hours to beat vanilla Persona 5 back in 2017, which was over the course of three months.

Final Fantasy VII remake took me roughly two months.

A 30 hour Sonic game will definitely take over a month for me. Long games are a commitment.

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. VenomTH

VenomTH

It's no surprise that the first open-world Sonic game is longer than the others. Overall, I'm happy with this length. The last game with a decently-sized story was Sonic Unleashed and I fondly remember being invested in that story. The only question is whether the game will offer engaging content from start to finish or be filled with mindless platforming, puzzles, and combat. As noted in the interview, completionists can expect to spend upwards of 60 hours to complete everything. I'm cautiously hoping for the former but I'm sure it'll be a combination of the two.

17. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I'm doubtful the Wisps will return, due to this game seemingly being a departure from the goofiness of recent modern Sonic games, plus the more realistic-looking world and art style. Wisps are ostensibly The Minions of Sonic. Plus there's Kocos now, so we've moved onto another new Sonic creature. I would actually be at a loss for words if they find a way to inexplicably shoehorn the Wisps into yet another game where it would not even remotely make sense.

Speaking of power-ups though, this does make me wonder if things like power-ups and item boxes will still exist. I've seen what appear to be green capsules in the overworld, and if you look up in the first IGN footage when Sonic climbs the tower you'll see some floating green boxes. But I would assume those are some kind of... xp capsules, or something? I don't see how power-ups would fit into the open world, but maybe they exist in the action stages.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Various things:

1) I finally have managed to read the about 75 pages this thread has grown since the videos started at IGN. 25 of them appeared while I was reading the stuff already here. Right now I hate you people. :argh:

2) Also, half of what I read if not more were the same kind of stuff I'd already read when discussing any previous game that wasn't Mania. Sometimes you make me feel like I'm no longer a Sonic fan because I haven't feel such passionate negativity towards almost everything announced or reviewed since long ago (to be fair, I don't feel the positivity that much either).

3) I want to play this game. First time saying this about a main game since generations, generations being the first time I said that since Sonic Adventure 2. I seem to have a keen eye for the games I'll really enjoy. Sadly this is so subjective I can't foresee if you'll like it too.

4) A lot of people say this isn't a Sonic game, that it is a game with Sonic on it at most. I'd say it's a half-brood game, it's indeed a Sonic game that went out of bounds to the realm of some other. No surprise it looks like it's PSOnic2: New Dream Cast when NGS already looks a lot like a Sonic game. And yes, the CyLoop looks a lot like drawing circles around Pokémon in Pokémon Ranger, I said that already with the first reveal and here we are exposing the weak points of these Ultra-Beasts (yes, those ultradimensional alien Pokémon) Sonic fights.

5) People complain about Sonic fighting stuff with too many HP, and I get it, so I'll just look to Super Mario 64, that game that defined the transition of Mario to 3D by punching Goombas, among other things. Yes, Sonic is not Mario, but, by that metric, Sonic isn't Sonic and Mario isn't Mario either. Let's dance around, everybody's kung fu fighting.

6) In any case, this is kind of what I expected from an open world game for Sonic; some stuff better, some stuff worse, but kind of predictable besides the resident robots.

7) I find this game can sort of redeem Sonic from Sonic '06 and Rise of Lyric: shares a lot of concepts with those, but looks like it executes those concepts much better this time.

8) After reading so many text walls in this thread, I'm glad I've written one for you. Here's my revenge, mwahahaha! (Ok, sorry, I know where's the exit).

20. What I'm curious about is how you even make a Sonic game that long to begin with? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. If it's 30 hours I'd be shocked if even 50% of the playtime involves actually running.