don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Well, we may end up moving to C++ anyway. Ogre would be okay. I'd much rather see this move to C++ than UnrealScript, because in a few years UnrealScript will follow Blitz3D and become just another obsolete language/engine. Another concern is where in the hell are we going to find someone who can code all the new shit we have added? I think SonicGDK looks great, I just don't see it lasting much longer than BlitzSonic. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. All I know is we will need new coders if we make the switch, and we are more likely to find new coders if we use a well known language.

As for that render, it uses ray-traced lighting effects, which enables light bounces to take place, which is why light on the wall appears green. This makes the scene a little more realistic, but it can be faked with the techniques I suggested (light map). The other effect is glow. The glow effect is added after the render is complete. I have an idea as to how glow can be faked in BlitzSonic, but it may slow your computer down a ton, and it would be best left to a new engine. I think we can manage to make a great looking game without it, though.

Edit: And fuck cell shading.

2. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    It might be a bit too much work at this point, but for graphic issues, you could just have something in the options that turns off some of the graphical effects (Like glow or bloom) that take up a lot of resources, for less powerful computers, of graphics ever become a major concern. But it sounds like you've got the lighting effects thing covered and I'm excited to see the effect of that.

='(

3. Updates:
    I am about to make changes to how Freerunner is organized. Azukara has put me in charge of this, so hopefully all will go well and our team members and future team members will accept these changes. Our team members will be required to complete one task per week to remain a team member. This does not mean our team members will be removed from the credits when they are unable to complete something. It just means they will loose the ability to download game content when they do not contribute.

Instead of having to merge two or more engine edits together, we will be posting modified functions instead, which team members can download and use in their own projects if they would like.

OzCrash has completed the base for Splashing Springs, which I will refine with smaller bits of scenery and then apply light mapping. I cannot say for sure when it will be completed, but I am working on it a little bit each day.

Speaking of light mapping, I created a little demo video showing a log tunnel with colored lights inside, and global lighting outside.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yes siree, 8-Bit Dragon now has control over management of work with the game while I control the creative department (how everything is going to work and play out). We both side-by-side are producing this game.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
  6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sounds Mario Kartish. Also sounds like beach music.

I like it.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It's the steel drums. That's what gives it the Super Mario Kart vibe. I do like the song, though.

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    That, and the overall progression, and the drum beat. As a whole it sounds like Mario Kart, with a twist of Sonic CD.

This is a good thing, though.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member

Decided to put it up here because I heard people liked what was shown.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Tighten up that camera and the controls will follow. That is...if the controls are still relative to camera orientation, which I assume they are.

11. Felik

Felik

Wow a Blitz Sonic Engine that doesn't suck donkey balls (by that I mean engine that is not 99% Damzien and Larkss engine with random character model swap). I'm impressed!
    Are you planning to add gimmicks and enemies?

12. Tidbit

Tidbit

Im sure he is, Sonic games wouldn't be the same without them.

13. dsrb

dsrb

Well, it is meant to be a game. The wiki article linked in the first post has a lot of information about planned features.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow that is one of the first Sonic 3D fan engines I've ever seen that actually seems to be pretty good. Also one of the first times I've seen a 3D model in a fan game with some fluid animations. Nice job.

15. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    It seems like you're still suffering from BlitzSonic's horrible "momentum can carry you miles across a level through the air just by getting a running start" problem, and the camera system still hasn't been implemented at all. Aside from this, I'm very impressed with the rolling physics and I think the colors model was a good choice.

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yeah, we are currently fiddling around with changing the way movement is coded into the engine. It's all made of constants instead of variables, which is making the controls rather messy and with no sense of the laws of friction. We'll keep everyone updated on fixing that, but in the mean time Merry Christmas to all.

+ - You may all get a (somewhat late) Christmas present while you're at it. All depends if we could slap it together or not. Who knows though.  

EDIT: If there are any questions, then I am willing to answer them at any given time. :)

17. Felik

Felik

this
    Sonic Colors' animations seem to be rippable. Can't you use then? (just asking)

18. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    It's good to see progress being made on freerunner. I'm looking forward to seeing a scripted camera utilized. And I second the use of the Colors animations being used. Using the drifting animation for those tight turns would look much better in my opinion.

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    We are a step ahead of you regarding the animations. Couldn't you guys see that in the video? :psyduck:

We're still implementing animations like turning, leaning, drifting, and among other things. Were also gonna completely redo the running animation in a more classic style (not like Sonic 4's shoddy attempt), among other animations as well.

20. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Do you have a decent level editing pipeline yet? How is that handled atm?