don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    We will release a tech demo once we at least somewhat complete the layout to the first full area.

Which will take a while. Be patient.

2. Tidbit

Tidbit

Yeah its cool Azu no pressure. A good game takes a long time to make and produce.

3. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Personally, I'm more hyped about the prospect of an FR demo than either Sonic game coming out this year (that we know about).

4. Because they don't have Tails amirite?
    I still think they should perfect Sonic's gameplay before venturing out with other characters. But thats for another day.

This game is looking rather good, I must say.
    I want a demo.

5. Volpino

Volpino

I don't really understand why it's such a bad thing that Tails makes or breaks an official game for me, but actually it's because the project makes Sonic's gameplay sound fun. I mean, he could do most of the crap they talk about in the first post in the cartoons and OVA so why not finally add it into a game?

Plus it's 3D, it's got talk of multiple paths, three playable characters, it's fuckin' CLASSIC style (And good looking classic style at that) and its writers are the shit. (:specialed:) There's only one other fan game that's got me this excited, but it's not really very much like FR.

By the way, sorry to pester everyone about this, but would it be easier if we (the writing team) named the levels while you guys are working on all the technical stuff? Only asking because sometimes not being able to come up with names for areas in my stories has actually got me stuck in some places. (And I'd like to be more help in some way that I'm able to.)

6. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Tails lost my rings on the Special Stage of Sonic 2, that's why I hate him. ):
    I'm not so sure about that. Making levels on 3D is something freaking hard to do. Just go on Youtube and look for Sonic Blitz leves. In the most of the videos you'll see a linear level, with stupid alternative paths and parts where you can't use Sonic's speed, you have to carefuly turn your mouse to do curves. And parts where all you do is use Sonic speed, in biiiiig empty fields. The other thing that make me think about this game is the AI of enemy's and bosses. Different of 2D, on 3D you have to cauculate the X, Y, Z positions, make him detect Sonic and follow him, etcetera.

But anyway, I'm excited about this project, you guys have something great on yours hands. Don't blow it all, and try to not make the mistakes that I've said. Good Luck on the project.

7. Volpino

Volpino

Well I never meant to make their job sound easy... It's not, I don't know very much about programming but I do know the difficulty jump in making 3D games, but I've always got faith in a promising looking fan project if only because it loosk like the fans concentrate more on important details than official devs, but then again, fans don't have deadlines to make and an overall target audience to dick around with. :v: (I think I'm rambling, but I'm tired.)

8. I haven't done 3d related in weeks so I decided to make this Knuckles model Azukara gave me info on a while back. I made it pretty fast, roughly 15 minutes, and I think it turned out really good. I also think it fits the style you guys are going for with the model. I even gave it the hat Azu said to put on. I also tried to keep it as low as possible.

Please give it criticism and tell me what needs to be improved on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Subsurfed/ High Poly/ Subdivide Smoothed
    [​IMG]

So what do you guys think?

9. Tidbit

Tidbit

I can't really say alot about it, since its still earl in dev, but dot sub divide the faces yet, it ruins the model. For now, I would just work on manually smoothing out faces.

10. Volpino

Volpino

The hat's way too tall. He was talking about the hat from the OAV, right?

The eyes look connected on the high-poly version, hands are too small, body is too rounded, hair looks a bit thick and the legs are a little short. The body and legs blend together on Knuckles. He's got a bit of a funny shape to him for a Sonic character.

It's still better than anything I could do though and it's a nice attempt.

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    To quote me from the SFR forum:

12. For me, reference is only needed for complex/complicated character models. For a character like Knuckles, using a reference would only make the modeling process go by faster.

13. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    Why does Knuckles need a hat?

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Why does Tails need a plane? :colbert:

15. Volpino

Volpino

I laughed. Best post ever.

A good reference is the OVA, we probably have some screenshots on the wiki if a reference is needed...

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The hat is wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Needs more of this. =P

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Then why does Knuckles look like Sonic in a wig?

Look at the shape of Knuckles' muzzle. His nose. His eyes. His whole head shape, for that matter. And his torso, and the size of his fists.

Knuckles the British Gentleman made my day, though.

18. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Basically this;
    [​IMG]
    +Slightly longer snout, darker/more saturated red, shorter head, different shoes and hat.

19. Volpino

Volpino

Why different shoes? Those are the ones he had in the classics, unless we're counting the yellow socks he had before...

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Lol, basically what Mr. Mash said.