don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    How many speed boosters are we expecting? :v:

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Maybe some in the city/highway areas (near speed limit signs for the lulz), and that's it. Keeping it like the classic Sonics and only putting them in environments where they'd make sense. And even then, there wouldn't be much.

3. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    He had to ask for the standard question of it.

The speed boosters are a fun addition when not used in excess, I think, I thought Radical Highway from SA2 actually played well with them, but if you're including them, won't this somehow encourage people to go in one direction only?

I understand the game is built around a 'Go from point A to point B' formula which is fine but in regards to multiple paths, how will you use speed boosters? Will they be set along the easiest path or will they only be used to gain speed along routes that are like highways (Go straight) and used to speed up the travel along those routes?

I was actually thinking of discouraging traveling along them constantly by putting other routes near them that contain no speed boosters that might lead to some other part of the city that might either make getting to the goal faster, lead to a potential other reward in the game (like secrets, if you ever saw fit to add them as optional goals) or just lead to an area that looks really awesome (like a dance floor with glowing tiles lol)

Another question is, would it ever be considered to add secrets into the game? Maybe ones that unlocked something like a Sonic museum, and the artists working on the project could contribute some art that could be unlocked like in Sonic Gems, or some concept art from when the game was being developed, or maybe even some cheats to turn the characters different colors (though I think that would be a little hard) or just things that increase your score? Just a thought, since it would make multiple paths have more appeal without making treasure hunting mandatory.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Not necessarily. If there are two separate paths in between point A and point B, you can have speed boosters going in one direction on one path, and in the other direction on the other. This would work especially well on a highway, as traffic on each side of the road only goes in one direction.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The dash panels will most likely function like from Stardust Speedway, where whenever you come in contact with them they speed you up, and it doesn't force you in a certain direction. Instead it just speeds you up in the direction you were going.

And I wouldn't mind little secrets thrown in. Although if they were to be, we should worry about all that after production on mostly everything has happened.

6. Tidbit

Tidbit

Lets go ahead and post what we came up with, I don't think it matters if we post the start of the story line on here, but of course the rest of the story will be withheld.

7. Volpino

Volpino

Building off Tidbit's story he started...

Shortly after sonic had made his way through the dense forest, he heard an odd sound. He looked up into the ever darkening sky, as he saw a glider being attacked by what seemed a hoard of buzz bombers. He tensed as he saw a bright green bullet "Emerald" fly across the sky, lighting up the clouds.The Buzz bombers shot after it and left the glider to plummet towards the ground. Sonic raced off to save the pilot. Sonic quickly sprinted up to a high enough cliff, and jumped over to the glider. He effortlessly landed on the wing, swung over and landed next to the cockpit. To Sonic's surprise, an unconscious fox was the pilot. Sonic grabbed the controls and pull up just in time to pull of a rough landing.
    It was night when the fox woke up, with a yelp of surprise he jumped from where he was sleeping. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Sonic across a campfire.

That was what we came up with together, though I wouldn't call it finalized.

Edit: Just realized Tidbit never posted his story in this thread. He can add his piece to it since I can't find it in my notes anywhere. :specialed:

8. Tidbit

Tidbit

Thanks for posting that Volp, msn is currently not working for me, so im glad you still had in your notes =P. Personally I like this story, though its open for critique since we basically we came up with this pretty easily.

9. Volpino

Volpino

Yeah but I dunno how Impish feels and I can't seem to contact him, I thought posting it here would at least get his attention so he can still be included.

I forgot there was something important we were supposed to hear though, so I'll stop slacking and go to the SFR board now. :v:

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    So I see you guys are building in scenes that happen to work along with the day-night system. :eng101:

11. Tidbit

Tidbit

wait...there's a day and night system?! O.o, what we did was completely by chance XD. Oh Azu come on over the the irc, and volp and impish as well, it'll be easier to discuss things that need to be talked about.

12. Volpino

Volpino

Right, coming. I just got back to check this. :specialed:

Edit: As soon as ProBoards stops being a fagot and loads the fucking screen.

I hate ProBoards. :argh:

13. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    One thing that's always bothered me with the BlitzSonic engine, is that the walking animation starts off out of sync to the way Sonic's actually moving, and it it seems just a tad too floaty, especially when falling, are you guys able to fix it?

But aside from that it looks amazing! Keep up the good work!

14. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yeah, we'll be able to fix both of those things. That's a problem with the animations, considering that their speed is changed depend on Sonic's movement speed. It was okay for the Genesis games since they were all sprites and all, but it doesn't look right now and I understand that. Also, floatiness is something I thank you for mentioning, since I just noticed that's what it was that was bothering me so much about the jumping.

15. Volpino

Volpino

Just a suggestion of mine but about the animation thing, what if you increased the animation speed? It would make Sonic look less floaty in all areas I think, if that's possible.

I'm not really an expert though. :specialed:

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That's what's planned, and that's what I was just talking about. We are going to edit it where the animation speed is at a constant, no matter the movement speed of the player. It makes things feel much faster and natural, actually.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That already sounds like it's going to look awkward.

Making the character start walking from a faster animation might look more natural. Why not try that first?

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That's exactly what I just said. :psyduck:

I guess it just didn't come out right.

19. Volpino

Volpino

Well in that case that sounds like it might be less awkward.

I think as long as there is a gradual transition in movement (as in, it just doesn't instantly switch to running animation and Sonic actually looks like he's performing the action) it will look fine. (They did this in Advanced 3, maybe look at the sprites?)

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yeah, the animations will have decent transitions.

Now I just gotta convince Jeztac his model is coming out good enough for SFR. :psyduck: