don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    This is awesome! Loving classic Sonic's section.

Slightly edited generations level assets? Amazing.
    Another Greenhill ripoff? Awesome.
    Boost before a loop? Great!
    Boring section of no input other than direction epic section with fish on bridge? Wow.
    Uncanny valley "classic Sonic" physics remaining? Perfect!
    "Classic Sonic" limited to 2D only still, wasting potential? What a well thought out idea :)
    Not fixing up the 3D gameplay and keeping 'get to the end with one button enemies don't matter just boost also you can only go one direction' gameplay? No issues there!
    The fact that they are still relying on "modern" and "classic"? Incredible.

This is absolutely awful.

2. Felik

Felik

Speaking of the OC character being the third playable one.
    The "join the resistance" tagline got a whole new meaning.

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Sonic Forces...
    Nintendo Direct is the very first to tease new character...
    A Nintendo character joining the party?

As for Green Hill Zone, this tweet sums up my thought...

4. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    As far as theories go, this ass-pull is like trying to tickle one's own stomach from the inside.

I do wonder who at SEGA keeps deciding to force GHZ down everyone's throat, though. It's not an homage if it's done every time. That's as if Star Trek only ever focused on the original series, or Power Rangers never did anything with material after MMPR anymore- ohwait

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So it's GHZ in a desert.

Oasis Hill zone?

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Thinking about it again: I expect that Classic Sonic in this will be alright. Aside from the graphics, it doesn't really look like it's any worse than Classic in Generations. It's just that now with Mania releasing in the same year, Classic in Forces is gonna look way worse in comparison.

7. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Gfycat of the Classic gameplay

Redid this to clean it up and remove the leading and trailing extra stuff, just in case anyone wants it.

After the general outrage of yesterday I'm feeling generally more optimistic about this today. We really haven't seen enough to judge it fairly. The leg blur looks way better than it did in Generations, so that's neat.

8. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The classic gameplay looks exactly the same as Generations, which was fun. But everyone's complaining now so I guess I missed something?

9. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    But, what if... the third character was actually Green Hill Zone?

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:( The downgrade is real

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    It's kinda cool that Classic Sonic twirls off a spring this time, like in Sonic CD.

I pretty much had the same GHZ reaction as everyone else. Hi again, Green Hill. Long time no see. :v:

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Yeah, art style shift is disappointing. But if it saves time/budget that means they can make more content for the game.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can get why they downgraded it a little bit, if only to clean it up. GHZ Generations was a very busy looking level and a departure from the very geometric iterations of GHZ we've seen prior to it and since. This seems to be a middle ground between Lost World style and Generations style. Like the first level we saw was definitely detailed, so we know they're capable of doing levels like that. They just made a decision not to go with that style for this GHZ.

It's funny. We've had a consistent Sonic model for years yet they can't seem to figure out an art style. We've gone from realistic to super cartoony to this, and all the while Sonic's looked pretty much the same. I guess if this is a step to find some cohesion then by all means, go forth.

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Now this is the Sonic Retro I know and love. :v:

Not gonna add much to what has already been said, but I'm not too optimistic on their reduction on level creation time if the design is going to be anything like what was shown. Level quantity does not really matter to me if I hardly want to play the levels, which was my worst problem with Lost World and the reason I haven't finished it to this day.

15. Chaud

Chaud

My god, I don't even know what to feel. It looks like Sega (Sonic Team) doesn't even know why people like some Sonic games. People say: "Generations was cool", and they hear, "I NEED MOAR GREEN HILL ZONES".

What the fuck. I'm sad. And the saddest part is that I'll probably buy it someday when we have some good Steam Sale, and play it.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    For whatever it's worth, the graphical downgrade seems to have made it possible for the game to be 60fps, assuming the footage is representative of what the game will be like on consoles anyway.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Well, that was the Switch version, anyway. I hope the make the PS4/PC version better looking.

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'm now realizing that if the new character really is a Character Creator, people will just make it into Bubsy anyway. :v:

19. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    if we are getting a character creator, any idea what templates we'd be getting? I'd like to see ones for Fox, Squirrel, and Jackrabbit (or just rabbit) along side the revealed cat(?)

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Why would anyone even know that