don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Honestly now that the internet thinks that's Bubsy, anything other than Bubsy will be a letdown.

2. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Bubsy? That silhouette looks more like Felix the Cat to me. :v:

In all seriousness though... Yeah, that classic gameplay does not leave a good first impression. I'm still keeping an eye on this, but only for the modern gameplay, methinks.

3. IndyCotton

IndyCotton

The Bubsy-discourse is hilarious. Who would have thought that there'd be such a day where people would even bring up that name again? But I'm kind of leaning on the OC-creation thing here, since it seems the least of evils so far suggested.

On that end, Classic Sonic now does Sonic CD-esque spring jump, if going by something else than what has been said already. Hope the zone's still W.I.P as the Lost World-vibes are already imminent... in fact, I mostly do hope there's possibly for mashup-styled zones - or at least a new take on the classic ones if going by the now sandy Green Hill.

4. Jelq God

Jelq God

wow this is bad.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I guess I have to get working on Sonic 1 Dimps Edition this year. Nearly been seven years since Sonic 2 got that treatment...I'm getting old.

6. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    "Okay, how bout we use Green Hill Zone again... But since it's the shitty future, it's dry."

I think Sega vastly overestimates how iconic and popular GHZ is. Sure, it was the first Sonic zone, but it's not it's World 1-1 from Mario, no one is getting excited seeing it.

From the looks of it, the new character is going to be original. But if it is Bubsy, I will both simultaneously buy this game, and then never buy any other Sonic games ever again.

7. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    So not ONLY does this game's classic stages look aesthetically inferior to Generations in EVERY respect, and not ONLY is this Green Hill... again... but the 3 first-look clips they provide us are the most barren goddamn clips of level design you could possibly show.

No wonder Classic wasn't shown at SxSW and Modern looked like straight line zone to a lot of people. If this trend keeps up, this game has very little actual level design to offer.

GG Sega. All that PR work only to tank yet again. Mania will make people believe in the series again until Forces confuses the hell out of people.

God if Modern and "Bubsy's Adventure in Sonic Land" don't blow this game out of the water, this thing's fucked, calling it now.

And they were doing so well :(

EDIT:

And what really disappoints me is the stage looks like they came from and are going to areas of level that aren't THAT bad, but the 3 show pieces they provide...? They're THAT? Really? Ok then...

8. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    I can't unsee it now xP

But that would be the best crossover ever

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    My God, they are not learning from Lost World level design, but embracing it. Stop with the fucking boost pads and GHZ and let Sonic happen ffs.

10. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

It'd be a dead ringer for Blaze if the figure had that tuft of hair in the middle. Either Blaze is getting an altered design or this is someone new.

Also, I must wonder how much more they can keep refreshing Green Hill. The well's run dry Sonic Team.

I am not sorry for the above pun.

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

This isn't so much Lost World as it is Generations. Remember how sluggish Classic Sonic was in the air, how boost pads were liberally placed before scripted loops and so forth? This is looking a lot like that.

12. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I really willing to give Modern a chance since what we've seen is probably just the opening level straightaway that's present in every boost title, hell I'm willing to hear out a third gameplay style. But Classic Sonic? With that 10 seconds of stage design? There's pretty much no redeemable things that stick out and only bad things to extrapolate. Not with Mania standing right there next to it for direct comparison.

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I don't even need Classic Sonic to play like actual Classic Sonic. I don't need 1:1 classic physics. But seeing that boost-pad right before that loop makes me incredibly wary.

14. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Honestly? I'd be completely okay with Blaze making an appearance. She's easily one of my favourite modern characters. The thing that's curious to me, though... Didn't we already hear that "only Sonic" would be playable?

I mean, yeah, "only" is kinda nebulous when we've got both modern and classic Sonics running around, but they're still both Sonic. Was "only Sonic" something that was actually said, or did I hallucinate that?

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well, that's Adventure Sonic out.

When I saw it was cat-like I was hoping for Blinx, what with being an Oshima creation and having strong ties to time travel. But the ears are the wrong shape and he doesn't have a fuzzy face like that. He could've been slightly redesigned to fit the current Sonic aesthetic, but while I'd love it to be him, it's Bubsy.

I mean, the outline is just Bubsy. There's no mistaking it.

16. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I like Blaze a lot myself. I think she has a lot of potential to become a popular character in her own right but Sonic Team has shied away from her after Sonic 06 was a dumpster fire and Rush Adventure undersold likely due to 06 being crap. She is the closest to Sonic gameplay-wise and she can throw fireballs around, what's not to like?

... If it is only Sonic, and it is someone unexpected, then there is only one option left.

[​IMG]

Y'all can revoke my Trial Member status now. :p

17. VMordecai

VMordecai

Sonic 3 & Babylon Rogues
    At least the third character is not Boom Sonic, good heavens. XD I like the silhouette so far. Can't wait to see him fully revealed. Wonder what's his gameplay style is gonna be.
    Gosh, I hope they will at least make an attempt to develop the characters this time. Haven't seen it since Boom show Adventures era.
    On the other hand, now I want it to be Bubsy, it will be so hilarious! This game seriously needs a Bubsy mod, and it's not yet out. I'd buy it only for that.

And I think I'm fine with GHZ. Even though it's overused. Maybe, too much. Still, good to know that at least not everything is to be in ruins and with red fire-apocalypse-ish filter applied. So it will at least bring in some color and mood variety. I hope... Because everything they show so far all mostly looks the same to me. I know they only tease an itty bit of content and there ought to be more to see, some places to rest the eyes upon, and yet I somehow brace myself, for the worst might come.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So, how about that Classic Sonic in Green Hill from today's Nintendo Direct?

19. RikohZX

RikohZX

Bubsy jokes aside, it's too generic beyond the head to probably be a distinctly new character in their own right given that they essentially look like Antonie's head from the comics pasted onto a red, spineless Sonic body. But he doesn't match up with any pre-existing character in the games, either.
    Considering the Nintendo info says an "unexpected character," it just creates more worry that it's a create-a-character thing, though I guess 'worry' is probably the wrong word to use if we discount the swarm of OCs that would result.