don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Miki

Miki

I wouldn't want the story to me so minuscule that you could say "what story?". Besides, I would like this game to have a more adventure packed story, draw me into the game like the way the Adventure series did so.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Gonna have to agree and disagree on that - I really want a story where there's always some sort of conflict going on, pushing the game onwards. The environments should play a big part in telling the story too. If the story calls for Sonic to escape from a city, it should end with him running over a bridge, dropping down into a sewer or something to show that he's escaped. Likewise if he's searching for some ancient temple, it should end at said temple. Cutscenes are cool too though, so long as they're more involved and eventful than anything we've had since Colours. I don't want dark and edgy, just an enjoyable narrative that gives the characters and levels some purpose and context.

Basically everything Lost World didn't do. Levels without an ounce of context, an incomplete story and awful jokes throughout.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    New character + new element confirmed by Iizuka recently.

New Element:
    https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/791821656377270272
    https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/791822790269685760

New Character:
    https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/792004664317194240

Hoo boy.

4. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Well, without context that could mean literally anything. Doesn't inherently mean playable, or necessarily bad.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I wonder if the new mechanic will be shooting or fishing this time.

6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I always get nervous when Sonic Team try something "new"* because it usually ends up being bad. After how disappointing Lost World ended up being, I kind of wish they would just make Generations 2 (as long as they didn't re-use any stage types that were in Generations 1).

*By new I mean like a new game play style. I don't mind new level themes.

7. Guys... I'm not so confident in these statements... New for Sonic Team hasn't fared well recently... :ohdear:

8. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

This is what I was afraid of and more. Bringing back Classic Sonic was worrying enough, but some new third element? Do we really need another Sonic game to divide itself up like this?

9. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    With Mania coming out, I'd have expected Sonic Team to bring their full A-Game and play it smart and safe, so as not to look worse by comparison. Guess not. :specialed:

I mean, "new component" could definitely be something harmless, or even good, but this isn't a developer who has a good track record with "new components".

10. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    Let's hope the "new component" is something they can work with, or make work well and have it be fitting for Sonic.

The closer it is to the Sonic formula, the better in my opinion. We really don't need another close-combat or firearms-based game again.

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

YOU WERE DOING SO WELL. WHY. WHY NOW.

THIS IS LIKE WINNING AN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL AND PAWNING IT FOR A FUDGESICLE.

12. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    lmao project 2017

13. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Let's be frank. This wild ride wouldn't be the same if Sonic Team didn't try some new futile and stupid gesture to innovate every now and then.

Who knows, if we're lucky, we'll get yet another TV series out of this! + - SatAM 2!  

+ - Or more mercifully, it'll be a one shot character like Chip.  

Man. I never beat Chronicles, so I have to say now that that ending sequence was straight out of Newgrounds 2002.

I lost my shit when the "Cyclone" space rocket ship VTOL'd right out of the panel.

14. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I'm always incredibly apprehensive whenever we hear the words "new character". I personally think this franchise already has too many characters as it is, without adding any more to the mix.

Hopefully, as others have said, it's just gonna be one of those "one-off" characters. And hopefully not playable. As we've had confirmation of the game utilising both the Classic and Modern gameplay styles again, there's a very real danger of the game becoming a massive clusterfuck if a third gameplay style is also brought to the table, particularly given how badly Sonic games have been panned in the past for this very reason.

We could all be getting worked up over nothing, though. It's a little bit too early to tell, but I totally get why everyone's immediate reaction is to be somewhat concerned about this (believe me, I feel exactly the same way).

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I would be surprised if the "new character" wasn't Adventure Sonic.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean "new character" could be along the lines of the time eater. We have no idea about this game still though so I have no real opinions on this.

Plus this is iizuka, the world's worst pr man. Guy just says crap through his crooked teeth.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Or it could be Boom Sonic...

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    So I've been out of the loop for a while. Could someone explain to me why Sonic Boom exists?

19. Darth Taco

Darth Taco

So the tweets seem to be deleted now lol. It was Iizuka so maybe take with a grain of salt I guess.

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Maybe I'm under a metaphorical rock when it comes to Mario games, although I never hear complaints like this when Nintendo adds a new character. (Usually one with less personality in their design than most new Sonic characters we get.)

So personally, it's less that there's a new character at all, and more what this new character is in the first place. Are we getting some fresh blood worth keeping around, or a forgettable one-shot we all love to hate? I loved Blaze and Cream when they were introduced, but cared little for for Silver or Shadow. (The latter two being the biggest running jokes in the Sonic community.) We'll see if it's worth getting uptight over.