don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Pretty sure I saw people like him crying foul that Lost World was Nintendo's fault too. Best not dwell on it.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Fair points. But it worked with Blinx because his gameplay wasn't character focused. He could do the things he could do because he had the equipment for it. A purely cosmetic character creator fits right in.

This isn't a purely cosmetic character creator though.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That one might have some grounding to it, but it could have been Sonic Team trying to Mario Galaxy on their own and it just happened to be on the Wii U at first.

4. RikohZX

RikohZX

Which is funny, since one of the first things I thought of in the back of my brain when I saw the Wispon and grappling hook was Blinx given that you're essentially some OC running around with special gear and power-ups, and can even be a cat.
    If my time hijinks jokes turn out to have a solid basis, that's even more on the nose than intended.

5. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    If Nintendo had that much involvement in it I doubt it would have ever made it to PC. But now we're just getting really off track.

So do you guys think this is going to go an Adventure Style "choose your character and play them from beginning to end" or the Generations style of play as whoever in whatever order you want? I have a gut feeling they'll spring for the former, and we'll probably get some true ending garbo.

6. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    This sums up my thoughts on this more perfectly than I myself would be able to.

7. ancara

ancara

So, until SEGA/Sonic Team give us a confirmation, why don't we give Original the Character a name then to work with? I mean, Buddy is nice and all, but I feel we can do much better for future use. Any suggestions, lads?

8. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Bubsy.

This is still the correct answer.

9. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Oh, I have no doubts that we'll also be able to give our created character their own name too.

I figure they'll sidestep it in 'creative' ways in voiced cutscenes by not actually using said name and just a vague 'you', or 'friend', but it'll certainly show up in text-related dialogue.

No way they'd leave out that kind of simple-but-powerful tool to connect with your CAC.

10. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    I second this notion.

It's too Purrfect.

Actually this brings up a good point... I wonder if they'll pull a Fire Emblem and have a 'canonical' version of the OC. Seems to be the case with Glasses-mc-scouter over there.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    You know, actually choosing some gender-neutral, Sonic-like name (i.e. not a name but a noun) to call the thing during cutscenes would cut down a lot on the "muh deviantart" factor of criticism. Because then that's just their name. No "Spank the monkey" or "Jump the Shark" jokes included.

Not that I know such a name, of course. Sonic as a series is already weird with names, and they'd be hard-pressed to pick a word that's interesting, but not edgy, and also not directly masculine or feminine.

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    [​IMG]

13. ancara

ancara

I watched the trailer again, and after I looked at the dog, it hit me why this all felt a bit too familiar: This is Toontown Online all over again. Had it also had horse species too, I would have fully lost my shit over this entirely. :v:

14. Turbohog

Turbohog

There's no way I'm reading the last 20 pages of discussion about this. I just want to say that as usual, Sega/Sonicteam seems to always feel the need to reinvent the wheel with every game. I would be embarrassed to own this game.

The game was already looking like more of the same boost to win / pretend you're playing the Genesis games crap anyway. I'm out.

15. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Hello, Little Stinky Whiskermuffin!

It's inevitable I suppose. Toon animals will be toon animals. :V

16. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Well shit, that's just smart marketing.
    Give the retro fans their classic-style game, and give all the kids with Sonic OCs a game to have their OCs be canon.

17. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Well from the Gameplay trailer, the create-a-character is just named "Hero". Might as well just go with that.

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

clearly they are Hiro, or Budhi

19. JigenD

JigenD

Running the risk of being deemed as unnecessarily "hateful" or "not constructive" or anything along those lines, I do feel the need to state how I feel about this latest trailer.

Regardless of how the final gameplay ends up (most likely more of the same "boost-to-win interactive-cutscene modern" + "poor physics classic" formula, with 10 or less levels which you can run through in a couple of hours + a few collectibles and badly implemented gimmicks to artificially extend the game's length) the whole custom sonic idea in itself is one of the most immature, profoundly derivative and uninspired things to ever come out of this franchise officially. I'm totally out of this game, and the only way I'll ever touch it will be by either borrowing it or pirating it. If a mod which totally eliminates this shameful autistic crap ever comes out for the PC version, I may consider buying it, if the game is at 20 or less dollars by then.

I'm completely out of this train. On the plus side we'll still have mania. Let us hope that at least that game will show SEGA and Sonic Team a different route for the franchise.

20. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Cant wait to make my new sonic character, I'm gonna cuuuuummmmmmm