don't click here

Sonic Fighters

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by grap3fruitman, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Someone forgot about this game:
    [​IMG]
    Would still be interesting if there ever is a new fighter, though more likely than not that would be an addition to the All Stars series rather than solely a Sonic cast based game. Still, wonder what the price tag on this'll be like if/when it eventually releases?

2. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Oops, heh heh, slipped my mind there. Agreed that it would probably be an All-Stars game, I swear to god though if they don't add any SOR characters in that game I'm gonna be pissed.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    If they made another Sonic/SEGA fighting game, I would personally want it to play more traditionally (except with the more 'fantasy' extras that a Sonic game would naturally have), like Sonic the Fighters did, rather than how Sonic Battle plays.

Heck I think it would be pretty cool if a Sonic fighting game was made in a similar style to DBZ Budokai 1 (maybe that is just me though). Powerups, transformations and other add-ons would be available and purchasable via rings (earned through story modes, challenges etc), each character could have somewhat unique combos and specials (at least to a Street Fighter III/CvS2 level of complexity).

SEGA has shown the ability to make competent traditional fighting games, so why not make one for their most popular franchise? I just really don't want to see a Sonic Smash clone/Multiplayer Beat-Em Up made.

4. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Like Budokai 1...I think that would work, including having to set skills so that you wouldn't end up having some characters heavily outclass others due to sheer amount of abilities.

5. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I'm pretty sad I wasn't informed about this until last night. Sonic the Fighters is pretty much my main forte. May be prudent to dig out my old notes and start hacking the game again now that the emulator's finally fixed and displays things properly.

I wonder if it's sparked Sega's interest to revive re-release the series after being approached by Disney for Sonic's inclusion in Wreck it Ralph.

[​IMG]

6. Wow, nice find. What's the source on that screenshot?

7. BluGenesi

BluGenesi

Canada, eh
    Making films
    I think this is a good reason to say this was real, if this Is from wreck it Ralph. The film comes out in late December, and if this "release date" is real, its cheap advertising for Sega. It just makes sense.

8. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Yes, it is real, Blue. In fact, we've kind of known for a few days now. It kind of goes without saying that it's advertising for Sega's XBLA titles. Which also means keep an eye out for Altered Beast. WHOOPS, that's already on XBLA.

9. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Virtua Cop and the original House of the Dead also shows up in that Wreck it Ralph trailer, so with any luck...

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Those games are in that arcade because it's an arcade and characters from those games appear in the movie. I highly doubt they're meant to advertise the XBLA re-releases.

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Though, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Fighters' inclusion in the scene was to time it for its digital release. That's actually a pretty typical Sega move, even if the scene is in passing glance and Fighters has lost most of its cult luster thanks to the Gems Collection. Segasonic now firmly holds that spot.

But seriously, SegaSonic Popcorn Shop or bust, Sega. I'll even buy an adapter to wire up to my PS3 so I can make popcorn.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Always thought it was fucked up that that thing made you choose between butter and salt.

13. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Of course not, but being asked for permission from Disney to use those in the film might also make them think they are worth re-releasing at some point..who knows.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The arcade machine next to Sonic the Fighters is our good friend Tapper, the original sponsored by Budweiser, real acoholic version. Every version released since has been re-branded "Root Beer Tapper", and features... root beer. Can't be advertising acohol to children (even though Super Monaco GP and a bunch of others liked to advertise cigarettes).
    [​IMG]
    (left Tapper, right Root Beer Tapper)

one slightly fascinating thing about this is that Warner Bros. own the rights to Tapper and most of Midway's back catelogue. So Warner Bros. stuff in a Disney film.

It's not completely bonkers to expect a release of Virtua Cop (there's a PS2 version), but I don't think this is hinting at future releases. My guess is that some of these games were chosen by the artists for the sake of variety. It's coincidental that most of this stuff is already on XBLA - Root Beer Tapper was released on the service back in 2007, and I don't suspect Wreck-It-Ralph had anything do to with that.

oh and coincentally Sega had the license for home ports of Tapper for a while. Along with Frogger... and Spy Hunter

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Cool news, Fighters was an okay game if kinda limited. One thing I hope they do is fix the Death Egg Hangar music glitch present in both versions (none of them use the kickass theme music for the level). Putting Honey back in or remaking the lost Sunset Town would be cool too, if far less likely.

As for other games, SEGASonic Arcade would be nice to see, but I understand the problem with the trackball controls. Chaotix wasn't terrible but it's limited and repetitive levels cost it a lot of points. Even if Taxman could do a good port he likely couldn't fully fix it without completely redesigning some stages, which would likely upset a few fans of the original.

16. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Still, it features the true first appearance of the Chaotix. Also, it didn't sell well not because no one was interested in it; it was that no one was interested in forking their money for an extension to a game console that will be outdated soon. 32x was destined to fail thanks to Saturn's upcoming release.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The butter flavor was apparently nasty and greasy. I'd be more curious to hit that Curry flavor, but apparently the only place that readily has a machine available for use is in the children's section of a zoo in Japan.

I'm not that desperate for machine curry popcorn.

18. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Yes, but as I recall, Iizuka retconned the original Chaotix, character-wise. He might feel that some fans will be confused about why that other character isn't in the current Chaotix group. Sonic Team seems to be much more concerned about continuity lately.

19. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    I don't know about that, especially with Sonic 2006 was retconned at the end, yet he still goes to crisis city in generations.

I'm not just taking about chaotix, but the 32x have some great games that're worth porting:

The problem is that they don't know if those will sell well, since not many people bothered to buy the 32x as opposed to the upcoming saturn.

20. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    That, plus the fact that Blaze apparently had recollection of it.