don't click here

Sonic Fighters Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Dec 2, 2012.

1. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
  2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Doesn't hurt inquiring, doubt hes in any rush to sell them as of yet.

3. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Actually, if people were so inclined to help me out somehow, having the actual hardware the game ran on might be more useful if the there were some unemulated calls or whatever in Sega's conversion on the 360. Although burning new modified roms for the board with the new data might be a challenge in an of itself, I figure the hardware to run it at a reasonable price might be a bit harder. A preconverted to JAMMA will give me a greater likelyhood of actually getting the damn thing running in my house.

Blowing a lot of hot air here because this is all in theory. If anything I could send the vipers chips to be dumped to see if it's a different revision.

4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Been thinking about a different approach to all this madness since I lost all my notes and I think I need to throw this out there to get some opinions:

StF is emulated in both the Gems Collection and 360 (I don't have the PS3 files to analyze) and both use separate sound banks to handle the music data. I assume this is to handle the music at the native machine's DSP level instead of emulating the music, because it obviously is not saving any disk space. The thing is, are all the components for the Model2b hardware present within the files to essentially be ripped out and thrown into it's own self contained emulator? Could the chips from the very hardware itself be in some kind of encrypted format be waiting to be discovered and rebuilt into a new emulator? I honestly think ElSemi's emulator is garbage, but it's the only thing I currently have access to, so I am wondering if the emulator could be re-written from scratch using components extracted from official emulators on other hardware.

Any thoughts?

5. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Some interesting things are in store for this thread in the future.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Whats the deal with what looks-like 9-pin controller port in the front?

7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Back in my day, we knew what serial ports were. :specialed:

I'm assuming it's some kind of console output trace debugger kinda thing. Haven't read all the manuals yet. Gonna get them scanned first, I do not wish to risk damaging them in the "learning/reading" process before they are archived.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    this kind of thinking is what leads to fried components, lol. 9-pin port != serial port. It's far more accurate to call it a db9 connector than to refer to it as a specific type of port, especially when you haven't identified it. Note I didn't call it an "atari joystick port."

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    reserved

10. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Popping in this topic, been messing around with Sonic The Fighters for Hedgeblog.

Got your script working BSF, but it seems to work for every character bar Super Sonic and Honey? Was able to get Rocket Metal and Egg Robot, just not those two?

Also a request if you keep working on it at some point - a way to remove the in-game HUD (Both during the fight and the "REPLAY" text during replays). For my Fighters Megamix posts it's quite easy since you can turn off the layer, but not so easy on Fighters. Even the Gamecube one via Dolphin has the HUD stuck to the Camera, so I can't just zoom in a bit :P

11. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Not sure I fully understand what you mean by "every character bar Super Sonic and Honey?"

Making the HUD disappear has been done by me in the past, but really it's not as wonderful as you may think. Full widescreen hacks have not been successful yet either, it's just a stretched background layer and would require a lot of work to keep everything proportional.

Unfortunately, StF has been put on the back burner right now as I have other things going on in my life. So if this is to be added, it's gonna have to be a little down the road. I'm also a bit wary of StF uploads to sites like Youtube is that there are a million versions of the original trainer with no citations or credit. Feelsbadman.

12. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Going through the cheat and options menu in Sega model 2 emulator, I see the drop down for selecting characters, and every character will switch to that character bar Super Sonic and Honey. Maybe I have the wrong rom or something?

Not asking for elaborate widescreen hacks or stuff like this, just wanting to make stuff like this:

[​IMG]

Sans "REPLAY" flashing every half second :P

13. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    The game won't load if you have the incorrect ROMs. Also I just checked the last script I uploaded and it has actually been completely reworked but is still not ready for a polished release.

There are several ways I could go about this, but I need to know a little more. Do you want all of the visible HUD to disappear, or just the "REPLAY" gone? The latter might be easier but the former might make videos proper.

I'm sure there is a HUDless flag in debug mode. I am also looking into how the Replay Banks work, in which case TAS fights may be possible. But this is perhaps one of my bigger speculations of how the game works without having looked too hard into it, so I can't promise these features in the next script release.

But for now, backburner. :(

14. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    tfw you are defeated

15. If anyone wants to try it out for themselves, here you go.

16. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    You did in 2 posts what I couldn't do in 11 years. :(

17. Honestly though, finding it was a complete accident. I thought I found something related to the game speed, and I just shrugged it off. It wasn't till I accidentally pressed Start on P2's controller a couple hours later, and saw the Debug Menu that I knew, that what I had, was infact a Debug Menu toggle.

18. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    If researching this game's code and memory has taught me anything, everything found for this game was complete accident. I couldn't get the table to work but I will try adding the code to LUA file later.

19. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member

Never forget the original debug mode. (Happy April Fools)

As hype as I have been for this I am surprised I am not jumping on this harder. I can't get the cheat table to work.

Steve, can you make an unlisted video showing the steps you took to find the variable and PM that to me?

4/2 edit: Got it working! I would like to broadcast a retrospective live on Twitch.tv so we can go over the findings together before a cheat script release.

Anyone down to schedule this?