don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If you trust me I would be glad to give it a try. Alternatively you can ask Mercury (or myself) to crosspost the beta in the Tech Lounge, in this way you could get detailed feedback from the (supposedly) most experienced users on this forum.

2. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    IMO asking openly on a forum is not the best way of getting beta testers. Most of all people want to beta test just so they can get their hands on the game faster, without having much to say other than "Its fun". It would be better for you to shoot people that you trust PMs asking, but depending on how long you have frequented the forums, you may or may not know who are the right people to chose. Generally Tech members would have the best idea of how your game would compare to the classics. People that have studied the movement engine would be even better since the level design you have showed is just Emerald Hill, and unless you have extra levels that are all custom, you would not really need people that would critique the level flow.

Either way, it is your choice, but I just don't want this project to go on with bugs that could have been ironed out in stages like this.

3. I've got a pretty decent computer and some experience with Unity. I might be of some help.

4. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner

Hi there.
    I think I'm not the first one to say: this is a really promissing project. The graphics are just awesome and the gameplay looks cool. I also love your level design.
    The only thing I dislike is the sound Sonic makes when stopping. Sounds like a wheel or something alike. Not that it's a bad sound for the sneakers, but in my opinion it doesn't fit between all those original sounds.
    There also was a discussion about the background here. So I compared the versions. No matter if fogged background, or not, or overall blueshaded it looks pretty awesome. People just love to complain and stuff, so you will always find someone who isn't happy with your solution. Just pick the one you like best . If you want to do something about it one option would be to make a point in the options where players can choose betwen background fog, shading or whatever else might come up.
    So that's all for now. I'll say something more to the project once I'll play the demo. ;)

~Cheers

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    ... just wanted to say that this game looks even more awesome at 1920x1080:
    [​IMG]

Either way, if you think your computers can't handle this game, here is a screenshot of the lowest resolution available (512x384) with the minimum quality:
    [​IMG]

My laptop can run this at full speed at 1920x1080 with maximum quality. My main computer struggles a bit more, but it can reach 1024x768 or so with the maximum quality, or 1600x1200 with lower qualities. Any computer from the past 1-2 years should be able to run this with a good resolution and a high enough quality level.

edit: almost forgot... I was allowed to post these screenshots publically, as long as I mentioned that these are from a beta version. So here is your little disclaimer :v:

6. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Whatever you do, please make it possible to add levels in the release, I'd go nuts making stuff for this and might even bother getting good at 2d level design if it's easy for me to make stuff. That being said I can hardly wait for this, keep up the good work. =]

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I'm with Dude, custom levels would be BOSS.

8. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    I'll check it out if you like. I've got a pretty good rig so I'll be able to see if there are any performance issues. And since physics are a hot topic what with Sonic 4's release and all, it wouldn't hurt to make sure everything on that end is done properly :P

9. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Well color me interested... which is a first for a Sonic game in this decade.

10. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I wanted to ask, what's going on with the rings counter? I mean there are so many awesome things done but not even a proper rings counter? :V

11. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner

What should be going on with it? I mean it has a ring counter and it's working fine. So in this state of developing I'd say functionality is more importan than the look for such things like the ring counter. Don't you think there are more important things right now? I'm sure they will work on it as well once the more important work is done. Just be patient.

~Cheers

12. Felik

Felik

How did you manage to select this resolution?
    Maximum I can select is 1280x960. Does it depend on video card or something?

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It does depend on your video card. So that's likely the limit for yours.

14. Felik

Felik

Oh I see. Thanks!
    Gotta test in on different computer!

15. Tidbit

Tidbit

I wouldn't mind giving the beta a shot, I've got a good eye and a good computer.

16. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    You'd be surprised at the quick and dirty hacks programmers make in development just to get something that works.

As the game progresses to a complete state the more detailed UI/presentation elements should slowly inch in.

17. pelikan13

pelikan13

ok, there are around 25 people playtesting it right now so I guess that's enough for now, thank you all for helping out, I have already fixed plenty of bugs..

18. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Pelikan, quick question. I understand why you have your PMs disabled now, but where should we direct feedback to you? I would ask you personally but with PMs disabled can't do that too easily. If you don't want to answer here that is more than understandable and hope asking on the public forum isn't any trouble.

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Hopefully he will get member status shorty so we will be able to talk to him about it.

20. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I'm confused as to why he hasn't got member status already. This stuff has been hugely impressive since it was first posted.