don't click here

Sonic Engine help

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Neoblast, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neoblast

Neoblast

Hello there, I started a sonic game project on Dreamcast ( using C/C++ and SDL ) a few months ago, I have nearly all subsystems ready, vmu saving and loading, storyline and even some artwork of it. Point is I don't know much about sonic engines as there are not a lot of info on the net. Could anyone help me finding a basic sonic engine in C/C++ or help me build the basics of it?

Thanks in advance

PS: all sonic games I've found aren't open source so it's a bit difficult, I've looked everyhwere

2. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    I can't help you building a Sonic engine (I dunno how to do it), but I searched for the same thing as you (open source Sonic-like engine) some months ago, only to fail miserably. You're better off writing it yourself.
    Starting points, you'd want? The collision arrays of Sonic 1 and 2, will get a good idea in your head when it comes to collision.

It's nice that you're trying to do a Sonic game for the Dreamcast. I'm actually trying to port Sonic 1 to the PSX.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Maybe this can help?

4. GIHunter

GIHunter

Here is a good Sonic engine for Game Maker, made by Dekoldrick.

5. Neoblast

Neoblast

Thing is I don't use game maker nor multimedia fusion. I'm talking about a full fledge game made in SDL and C++.
    Hmm anyone can help?

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    If you're looking for a simple copy&paste job, no. If you want to do things properly, go look at a disassembly and work your way through it chunk by chunk.

7. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Ugh. You don't want "help", you want someone to do it for you. I got both of your PMs, and that's exactly why I never responded to either of them. Your first was in May, for god's sake, and you haven't got ANYWHERE?

Listen, it's not hard to follow the code in the current disassemblies, and there have been several threads on this forum touching on how different parts of it work. If you need something straightforward, there do exist other alternatives, such as the highly commented Project Mettrix scripts I built for E02, based heavily on the functionality of the original games. Also, I haven't personally had a look at any of these "opensource" TGF/GM/etc engines, but there are many, and regardless of the level of commentation in each one, they at least provide a different perspective on the same methods, and to someone who wasn't just looking to grab some pre-made code that they could slap directly onto their target system, could possibly be helpful in determining just exactly what is going on

Also, for future reference, I'm not tempted by promises of "ports". I'll do my own, thanks, and I'm pretty sick of people thinking it's an easy way to grab at my code, because you're far from the first to try. If all you're interested in is strictly a port of my software to a different system that I don't personally have the resources for, then I would appreciate very much if you provided or helped to provide me with those resources. Otherwise, no thanks.

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Wouldn't porting the code straight from a disassembly be sorta kind of copy and paste too? I mean, with your criteria, to do things properly he should figure out how to do the entire engine himself without looking at anything already made at all >_>

9. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    I wouldn't look at a disassembly. It taints my code if I even wanted to use it for something else than a sonic fangame.
    Also, it isn't very hard to figure how something is done, I had no idea how to make a tetris game and yet I made one by seeing how stuff acted.

10. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Programming a Tetris engine doesn't require you knowing trigonometry, you know...

11. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Let me rephrase: literal copy&paste job. :P

12. Yuzu

Yuzu

Didn't reply to this because I thought no one else was going to, but now people are I've remembered what I was going to say.

Your wanting people to do the main core of the engine for you? Sure, having a storyline and artwork is fine but if you let other people do the work you're not going to go ANYWHERE.

EDIT: I just realized who this is, I haven't spoke to you for ages :P

I think reading the disassembly and going from there will be the best idea.

13. Neoblast

Neoblast

Where could I get the dissasembly then?

Thanks for NOT replying Stealth but I do not want anyone to do the work for me at all, if that's the impression I gave then I expressed myself wrong. I just want some help with the physics. I do not want ANY line of code written by someone else just a few tips. The idea for the project started on may but it was cancelled due to personal issues. I also mentioned that porting could be a chance but in case you didnt want to I said if you could help me get the BASICS of all the physics. I have some stuff but I want to make things properly and it's missing a lot of things.

Could you at least tell me where to find those Mettrix scripts you made for E02?

14. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
  15. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    http://stealth.emulationzone.org/Games/E02...trix-SAGE08.rar

I know what I was asked, and this thread was pretty suspect. Maybe you didn't know what you were asking for?
    Anyway, this is all more than most of the rest of us had to go by, so you should be able to get something decent out of it. Don't forget to credit the authors of your resource materials

16. Neoblast

Neoblast

I asked a few things but I did not want anyone to do any work for me, just a few tips or examples to start with.
    I also asked about helping you making a port, if you ever want to port it to dreamcast just tell me and I'll provide all the resources needed for that task so you can do it.
    Anyway even though most of you have not been very nice, some have really helped, even you Stealth, thank you very much.

I'll credit all of you where credit is due and I'll post my progresses as soon as real life TM lets me continue the project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.