don't click here

Sonic: Eastern Coast Adventures

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Master3k, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    I tried playing this hack in Gens+ and I could only see the Sega logo before it just sat there and did nothing more.

2. SBZ is impossible to win. Act 3 has this glitched up part that I could not pass.

Sad that it isn't completable.

Also soft reset on Kega brings to a blank screen.

3. Master3k

Master3k

I'm not dead. Just giving focus on a game I play on teh internetz lulz.

hmmm I did not faced any problems with that zone. Could you post a screen?

Aware of it, and no idea how to fix. Sorry

Because Markey posted, I know it already.
    And I won't give priority to fix this. Don't ask.

4. Master3k

Master3k

[​IMG]

First update in a while. I've retouched the art for these 2 zones, except for SBZ1, who won a better bg. And also SBZ 2 has not that static rotating palette anymore, like in the last version. Gotta love checks :P

Whaddya think?

5. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Nice, I'd like to see some new fg art for ghz.

6. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Very impressive.

7. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
    All of them look really nice. But the Scrap Brain Zone background you used looks a awful like Eduardo Knuckles's Scrap Brain Zone.
    [​IMG]

But still, your art looks really nice. :)

8. Master3k

Master3k

...damn. Now, need to find more art for SBZ. >.>

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Yeah, the better option would be to fix the emulator. The same thing happens in Gens/GS; unfortunately, I don't know enough about the 32X hardware and emulation code to figure out what might be causing it. I'm thinking it might be something in the PWM code, though.

10. Chaud

Chaud

Not really, you can simply change the pallete and tweak some details in the image - sometimes, just that can make a world of a difference.

And nice screens, btw.

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    EDIT:
    (Quoting due to new page)

I looked into this and it would appear that VBlank doesn't run correctly on Gens with Sonic The Hedgehog 32x "hacks", or at least that's the issue I saw (however I don't 100% know as I'm looking into it meself, so don't quote me on that).

As for the SBZ art, metalic Madness art is generally expected to be used, I mean heck, Carrasco has pointed out one example already, and iirc Megamix has a mixed mash version shown previously, so maybe look into something more unexpected (Have you thought about making an original design?)

12. Master3k

Master3k

Updates!

[​IMG]

Sbz act 1, upper part, to the left, lower part on the middle, and act 2 to the right. Although I think someone has used this bg before...

[​IMG]

z0mg it is a FG in progress! Yeah, it should happen to all zones sooner or later.

And thanks(a lot) to MarkeyJester, the next version should work on Gens. EDIT: D:

...although I still agree with Gerbilsoft; The correct would be fix the emulator, not fix the ROM.

And I've been doing some music work after over 9000 years, so few of the imported musics are sounding more like their versions on the original game.

That's it for now. :eng101:

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, I'm loving that Scrap Brain. Great stuff!

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    If it has that awesome paralax scrolling from Sonic CD...

I'm sold :D.

Also, streched screens suck D:

15. Master3k

Master3k

Bugfixes fixes bugs.

Code (Text):
    1. Sega_GotoTitle:; ...
    2.         move.b    #4,($FFFFF600).w; go to title screen
    3. ; jsr   clearscreen
    5. ;        bra    ChecksumError
    6.         rts
    That's how I got the hack working on gens(More or less - see edit 2). For some reason, branching/jumping to clearscreen would make the hack freeze on gens.

And I fixed a glitch with the soft reset on kega, it would show up a black screen, but I commented the line
    Code (Text):
    1. bne          SkipSetup
    ...which is under PortA_Ok.

Except for that, nothing very new I can show you, as I'm focusing more in Music and ASM now. But I promise some stuff I can post in screens, soon...
    Some more random fixes:
    Lava reef 1 Noise channel is fixed
    Made a somewhat good Rusty ruin 2 import
    Some spikes were moved down/up so you don't get hit if...you don't get hit :P

And I'm needing ideas for FGs. Suggestions?

edit: the hack DOES work on gens, although opening the options menu would freeze the hack. Damned gens. -tries to fix-
    edit2: actually, running the clearscreen routine would make the ROM crash on gens. Pure weirdness.

16. Master3k

Master3k

Update, now something I can actually show you :P.

[​IMG]

<3. I changed that BG, I don't know why. I think I'm just random :P
    Although, I've had to remove all that palette animating stuff for syz. Oh well, I suppose it's worth it. :P

Also, ITP there's a abundance of :P's. :P

EDIT: Now looking at my hack, I think I like a bit SCD backgrounds. I suppose you guys are tired of only SCD ones? I can't find good ones in S2, and none that really fits in on S3K. And I can't do my own BGs for shit (remember that nooby SLZ bg I did with the grey buildings? D=)

17. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Ahh, man. I have no words to say how I got impressed with this hack every picture I see. These are definitely great choices on the backgrounds... and...
    No. I'm not tired, because I fall in love for them.

Very nice work you're making, I hope to see more in the future.

18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I love the SCD backgrounds. <3 Dude your hack is looking better and better with each screenshot you post. :D

19. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Why don't you try a mish mash? there's nothing wrong with the sonic cd bgs, but perhaps you can just changed the palette of them to make them look more new.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't know how well that foreground fits with that background. I love the background though. If anything change the foreground, I always thought Sping Yard Zone was a very ugly level (What the fuck is that area supposed to be anyways the Bronx?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.