don't click here

Sonic Delta 40Mb

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Esrael, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Brazil, São Paulo, Guarulhos
    Neto Assembler Editor / Sonic 2 Delta / Neto MD-DOS
    1-) The KEGA and GENS emulators supports that mapper ( KEGA is more accurately ). And yes the SEGA Mapper is the same used in SSFII.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Well I'll be, no dedicated page for it, only a mention on the SSF2 page. Technically, "Sega mapper" is the correct term, but since SSF2 is the only licensed game that used it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In addition to the emus that Esrael listed, BlastEm also supports it, though I've not tested this specific hack with it.

3. RadioTails

RadioTails

This page contains more information about the "mapper": https://web.archive.org/web/2015080...larger-than-32mbit#TOC-Super-Street-Fighter-2

The mapper IC is called "SEGA 315-5779", and is a custom one that Sega created. Even the datasheet refers to it as a "SSF2" because that was the only game that used it. It's most likely called a mapper because it maps out extra ROM space that can be swapped.

4. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Wow! This Sonic 2 hack is awesome! I notice that changing the sound driver trick in this hack that I did back in the day while I was working on Sonic 2.

5. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    New Build released ( Sonic 2 Delta v0.30 )

The following errors was fixed:
    - Now VRAM is cleared when a error is triggered, This avoid random garbage graphics over debugger.
    - Wz and NGHz Boss not loading when playing in alone mode.
    - Defeating bats in Hidden Palace ( S2 ) crashes;
    - Changing from a elemental shield to a regular shield sometimes crashes;
    - Silver Sonic loading in Sonic 2 DEz crashes in real hardware and on some emulators;
    - Retracting springs in Sonic3K DEz;
    - Reverse gravity caused by rotating platforms in Scrap Brain Act 1;
    - OOz, CNz, DHz (MCz) Boss Palette pointers;
    - Screen lock in Boss battles in Sonic 3K levels;
    - Force end panel to spin if you reach a big ring with Knuckles gliding or Miles flying.

This is not an error, but will enable support from some emulators and Flashcarts like Everdrive X3:
    - Changed string "GEN" to "SSF" in ROM header to force SEGA Mapper support in some Flash Carts.

Other aesthetic changes, like levels names and some musics in Sonic 3 levels.

Best regards:
    --------------------------
    Neto.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh, one thing. Some of the special stage rings in S1 and S2 are too high for Knuckles. The heights seem arbitrary to begin with, can they be altered a bit?

Also Labyrinth zone has some weird sections where Knuckles can't climb on things because part of the level layouts are objects he can't climb. It makes that zone unnecessarily difficult

7. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    For some weird reason, 0.29 loads on Genesis Plus GX via RetroArch on Vita, and yet 0.30 doesn't. The latter loads on Picodrive, but it doesn't seem to save (unless it's not supposed to autosave when you load GHZ1?)

8. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    After I played Sonic alone with No Save mode, the Death Egg Robot's body moves left and down for some reason when said Robot was about to fly off, and this happened:

DeathEggBodyError.png
    (I'm using Kega Fusion btw)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  9. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    This is impressive. Technically, and as a way to play through all of the classic zones in one go.
    A couple of issues during my playthrough (Sonic 1 and 2 parts so far):
    • Collecting rings in the glowing orbs bonus stage count towards your ring total for a perfect. You can get a perfect without getting all of a levels rings this way
    • The collision on the Marble Zone boss is off. It's way too high, and I feel like I jump right through him. It's also very difficult to hit with Knuckles due to his jump height
    • I rolled (held down) on the Labyrinth Zone Act 3 slide. This made me go so fast, I got stuck in a wall, which zipped me to an area I couldn't escape from
    • There's an area on the climb of the Labyrinth Zone Act 3 boss where you can stand underwater, even though no water is there. You can also drown here
    • The Star Light Zone boss is missing the explosion sound effect and the flashing when hit
    • If you combo multiple badniks, the score shown is always 100, even though you get more score (200, 500, 1000, etc.) These numbers do show correctly in Marble Zone's blocks, though
    • The Sonic 2 Death Egg Robot made some really weird walking movements that put his feet into the floor. Made it really hard to attack him while he was walking, as the arms were further forward than usual

At this point I stopped playing for now. It's a lot to play in one go. I'll play through the Sonic 3 and Knuckles half at some point.

10. So... after completing my game, I noticed that Flying Battery Zone was listed... Twice. Once between CNZ and ICZ, and once between MHZ and SOZ.
    Considering that Sonic 2 Delta follows the Sonic 3 Final zone layout, the instance of FBZ inbetween CNZ and ICZ should be removed - especially since it could lead to skipping right from CNZ to SOZ.

11. I think by now it could just drop the '2' and go by "Sonic Delta". Keep the "brand" but be more accurate to what it contains.

12. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    I got confused about size, because... how the hell does this take 40 bloody megabytes!? Then I realised that it was Mb and not MB, so gladly downloaded and effectively it is 5 megabytes, 40 megabits. Silly me, that's why internet providers keep fooling me.

13. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    New Build released ( Sonic Delta v0.31 )

The following errors has fixed:
    - Random crashes after defeating Silver Sonic in Death Egg (S2);
    - Random moves from Egg Robo in Death Egg (S2) and eventually a crashes;
    - Score shown when defeating badniks in a row;
    - Flickies corruption in some levels;
    - Fast sliding in Labyrinth 3. The game try to check if you are inside a wall and force the player to correct the position;
    - Disabled "Miles" carrying Knuckles in the introduction of Carnival Night and Mushroom Valley. This was doing Knuckles to start at Sonic places;
    - Now Miles is loaded in the Start of Icecap in Knuckles and Miles mode;
    - Level sequence in the Save Screen, avoiding skipping some levels;
    - Miles death in transition from Scrap Brain 2 to Scrap Brain 3.

Aesthetic changes:
    - Replaced "2" in the title screen with "SEGA" in the same style as Sonic 1;
    - Menu repositioned in accord with new title screen.

Hints:
    If you are running debug mode to test. When Sonic is an object, hold "A" then press "C" to backwards the objects list. You can select the Egg Prison to skip that level.

Best regards:
    --------------------------
    Neto.

14. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    Now I can't get a Shield, Super Ring, Power-Sneakers and even Invincibility. The only power-up i can get is the 1-UP. The Eggman Monitor is harmless. Oddly, Tails is the only one who can get Power-Sneakers, even if you play with Sonic & Tails.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  15. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Fixed, please download New Build ( Sonic Delta v0.31a )

16. Greenknight9000

Greenknight9000

Okay! This is amazeballs! This is everything that I've ever wanted!

HOWEVER
    There are some serious issues that need to be fixed, both bug-wise and in terms of visuals and audio.
    Let's talk about visuals and audio first, since this is my most strongest complaint here.
    why in the name of all that's holy did you use the Sonic 3 sprites? They're terrible! The Super Sonic sprites especially, considering that only two frames of the Standing/Idle animation work out of the intended 3 sprites (Hell, the sprite misalignments that were in Sonic 3 have been carried over to here!) If I were you, I would've gotten a new custom spritesheet of Sonic that's more fitting with the aesthetic of Sonic 1, 2 and 3 or revert it back to Sonic 2 sprites; speaking of Super Sonic, I hate that his Sonic 3 palette cycle is used, rather than the one from Sonic 2, which is MUCH more fluid. Another thing I hate is the "Super Theme", WHY is it using the invincibility music rather than a standard Super theme? It's tolerable in Sonic 3 & Knuckles because the stages are short enough that they don't get repetitive, the Sonic 1 & 2 stages CAN drag on to the point it gets annoying, it sometimes just gets annoying in general.
    Now the bugs
    So, in terms of bugs, I haven't encounted much, aside from graphic glitches such as Sonic's sprites being garbled when hitting Robotnik or the Super Sparkles being overwritten with the Shield Graphics if I grab a shield if I'm Super, but I found a game crash in Oil Ocean Zone's boss.

I was Super Sonic and was balancing on the right side of the platform, waiting for Robotnik to come up again so I can deliver the final hit, as Tails died (I think, I heard the ba-dumm sound) to the Oil, the game crashed with this error (I apologize for the awful Aspect Ratio, I set it as such so I can get a better view of the error)
    [​IMG]

What infurated me, however, was that when I reset the game, the game sent me back to Labyrinth Zone (Zone 7) with only 6 Chaos Emeralds!!

EDIT: I have found a bug that makes it impossible to 100% complete, when you enter the first Special Stage ring in the Sonic 3 stages, it takes you to the Hidden Eighth Special Stage instead of the first, although you can still regain Super Forms, it make it impossible to get Hyper Sonic/Knuckles (or Super Tails)
    [​IMG]
    EDIT EDIT: I figured out a way around this, if you fail the Special Stage, you'll then be sent to Special Stage 1, you can then finish it and continue as normal

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  17. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Sorry, wrong topic... The title Joseph is working on is "Sonic 1x3", but you manage to help him out! Great ROM Hack! Also, Amy Rose from Sonic 2: Pink Edition (With Cream and Cheese) should be added with the Amy + Tails combination, You don't need to put the Miniboss theme from Sonic 3, The Zone order for Sonic 3 & Knuckles is supposed to be the one from S3C (CNZ>FBZ>ICZ and MHZ>SOZ) Maybe as a option or code on the title screen, The big Arm boss wasn't there after the laser boss, the fade out music effect is too loud it hurts our ears, they're supposed to be Sonic 3 SFXs in Sonic 1 and 2, The Death Egg Crash landing Cutscene on Angel island is not there, The speed shoes for Super Sonic makes him slow along with fast invincible and fast super music, 2E is supposed to have the unused theme from the prototype not S3 Miniboss, we need an option to transform and detransform super or hyper so we can't have super or hyper forever, we should have gameplay features from various Classic Sonic games and music options as well, Everybody's going in the wrong zone order for Sonic 1 and 2, Knuckles is still cutscene pink with yellow socks, the got through results screen should be added in for the final zone of Sonic 1 and 2, the / total rings should be remove for the S3&K levels, the ending theme from S3 is wrong it needs to be the prototype one and credits theme for S3&K has no sound either, the timer doesn't need the CD styled look, the sprites should be tweaked from S3C, Competition Music from prototype is missing it has the final version theme of the Competition Music, DEZ Great Eggman Robo has only 8 hits not 12, super music interupts the boss musics, victory animations not shown for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles for S1 and S2 when clearing levels, HUD shadow needs fixing, and we need a customizer website just like in Sonic 3 Complete.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  18. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    New Build released ( Sonic Delta v0.32 )
    The following errors was fixed:
    -Death after going fast through double s-tunnel in Green Hill;
    -Crashes during Oil Ocean boss battle;
    -A problem in sound driver;
    -No sound in credits.

And removed remaining ring count from Bonus Stages.

Best regards:
    --------------------
    Neto

19. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

26 has the unused theme, there's silence on 2D for a second, game glitches when selecting a level in any game.

20. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Hardware to Run Sonic Delta added.
    SRAM is supported.
    SEGA CD / CDX compatible.

https://www.neto-games.com.br/hardware/sonic_delta_40Mb_hardware.php

The Credits uses sound ID DC, and SEGA Mapper support is required or loading some levels will fail.

Best Regards:
    --------------------
    Neto.