don't click here

Sonic Delta 40Mb

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Esrael, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Minor Things:
    * Enabling level select also enables Debug Mode, despite the sound test cheat still being in the game (this actually happens in Sonic 3 Alone, as enabling level select also sets the Debug Mode flag despite there being a sound test code for it).
    * The Sonic 2 ending theme seems to be missing a few channels.
    * The Death Egg falling palette is inconsistent between games.
    * Super Sonic has a longer palette cycle, but it goes unused because the developers used a blo instead of a bls when the game checks what frame its on (blo always skips the last frame). Note that for this to appear correctly underwater, you'll have to copy the third last entry and paste it over the last last entry.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  3. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    So... since this mostly uses beta assets and level designs, will there be a Sonic 1 Beta Update to this?

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya now we have betas for all 3 games, each with their own unused things. It'd be a lot of work but this hack could essentially be a completed trilogy beta

5. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    To quote Frank Palpatine, of the (crappy) prequels, "DO IT!"

6. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Brazil, São Paulo, Guarulhos
    Neto Assembler Editor / Sonic 2 Delta / Neto MD-DOS
  7. Amazing. Bravo.

8. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

WOW! That looks good, but I think it's missing a sound effect when Robotnik blows his brass.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Speedrun of version 0.60 as Knuckles and Miles.

I'll report some things I noticed.
    • Miles can carry Knuckles to Sonic's miniboss arena in Angel Island 1: if that happens, you're effectively stuck there;
    • the teleporter at the very end of Carnival Night 2 didn't work (perhaps it is hardcoded to work with character 03 only?), so I had to climb all the way up in the tube and fight Sonic's boss, which worked fine, but still looked like Robotnik.

10. I noticed a few other issues with Knuckles & Tails.
    * Tails doesn't swirl down with Knuckles at the beginning of Hydrocity Zone Act 2, and he never comes back until you die.
    * Upon clearing the Marble Garden Zone Act 2 boss, Tails never leaves his victory pose.
    * This happens in Sonic 3 & Knuckles as well, Knuckles' Marble Garden Zone Act 2 boss plays the miniboss theme... which is even more confusing since that didn't happen in Sonic 3 Alone.
    * After beating the Carnival Night Zone Act 1 boss, the top of the screen glitched for a second (not sure if this happens with Sonic).
    * Tails can airlift Knuckles into some of Sonic's segments.

11. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    New Build released ( Sonic Delta v0.61 ) / Hardware.

- Now Knuckles can complete Angel Island, Launch Base 2 through Sonic route using Miles assistance.
    - Fixed the teleport issue in Carnival Night 2, if you arrive it from Sonic route;
    - Now you can exit from Mini Game "Get Blue Spheres" using "A+B+C+Start" from Mini Game main Screen;
    - 50Hz support added to customs Sound Drivers.

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

12. RDNexus

RDNexus

@Esrael this may be a stupid question...
    Retro Engine has been decoded, right? I think I read it's available for general public or something.
    If so, you plan on porting this project to said engine? It could open more possibilities to it...

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean that'd involve so much work. Hacking those versions are in their infancy and S3K doesn't exist in the RSDK format, so that'd have to be converted over somehow. I'd have to imagine that'd be a nightmare.

Plus something tells me that this being on the Genesis is kind of the point.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    That is the main point.

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

15. Noticed a few more bugs (I swear I should be a tester one day):
    * The initial graphics in the Tornado (before they are animated) in Sky Chase/Sky Fortress aren't decompressed fast enough due to being in the Nemesis format (https://s3unlocked.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-great-plc-race.html), and because Sonic 3 got lazy when it came to decompressing Nemesis graphics.
    * I mentioned this before, pausing the Sky Fortress theme causes it to mess up (even more in some places).
    * Double jump abilities can be used on the SFZ fans.
    * PAL optimization doesn't seem to be quite right (especially noticeable with SFZ).
    * Tails' camera doesn't have a delay when spindashing.
    * Tails doesn't transform back to normal when beating the SFZ boss, which cause Sonic's palette to also mess up (since his palette needs to be loaded for the super flickies).
    * Music restoration doesn't work in the custom driver.
    * This is more of a general bug in Sonic 3, but the developers messed up the palette coding at the beginning of HCZ1, which is why the pool area's background bricks look off (used value $B80 instead of $680,
    loc_1C892).

This is more of a question, can I use Sand Shower's tiles in the final version of Sonic 2+? I'm asking this since I'm using them as a placeholder.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2021
  16. vexatious

vexatious

Banned
    Good job esrael. Could you tell me your primary workspace (e.g. Microsoft Windows NT, Mac OSX, Linux, etc)?

Also, do you know who I could contact about "Sega DTS CD"s and Mars development? I couldn't find any phone numbers for corporate groups (e.g. ID SOFTWARE, Sega, etc). Do you recommend a particular toolkit from Microsoft (Windows CE sh4 toolkit, etc)? Any mingw programs that might help? It's a lying question if you know what I mean... Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the vhdls wafer mentions... Whoever that is... Lol...
    Wafer says:

17. DarkLightLord

DarkLightLord

Hello I have been following this hack for awhile now and it is simply amazing :)
    I have a feature request to make, could a game selection option be added to the title screen rather then using the level select cheat and the game play just resumes from that point ? So for example you select sonic 2 you can keep playing through sonic 3 and knuckles?
    That way you have a choice from what game you like to start from

18. In a real model 1 Sega Genesis and [Everdrive Pro or Neo Myth MD], I can't get past Green Hill or luckily Marble Zone. First the sound glitches at random moments (maybe in events like 1Ups or Invincibility), and suddenly everything freezes.

19. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    I see no problem, but "The Taxman" should be asked too, because these tiles was ported with his permission and hekp from his work "Retro Sonic".

About reported issues, I will work on fixing.

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

20. metanite

metanite

I thought I'd add a little more detail to "Music restoration doesn't work in the custom driver" (assuming I interpreted it correctly...). Tested on Genesis Plus GX and BlastEm.

The bug seems to be centered around the 1-up sound effect. The sound itself plays normally, but what happens afterward is really inconsistent and seems to be random. On Genesis Plus GX, I've gotten it to work as intended, cut out all music but still play sfx, cut out all audio entirely, and play garbled random noise. Introducing invincibility to the mix just makes matters worse, as (if the audio doesn't die entirely/switch to a garbled mess) it can return to the original music once the invincibility runs out, or some of the instruments can get corrupted while the others drop out or play what they're meant to play. Often the only way to return to normal sound is to restart the game. Doesn't matter where/when the sound effect occurs- in the Special Stage results, from 100 rings, from a monitor, etc., it almost always bugs.
    On BlastEm, the emulator is much more prone to crashing, and because of that (and rewind not working for some reason), I haven't gotten to do as much testing. With the testing I have done, however, I've gotten it to straight up close the program with no warning once, open the debugger multiple times, and other times just drop out all the music but leave the sfx in. The music returned when my invincibility ended in that case, so I assume any other music change would restore it as well.

Another, more minor bug (that is possibly related), is that if your invincibility runs out while the score tally is going, the zone music will suddenly reappear, and will fade out and restart once the next act starts. This happens both on G+GX and BlastEm, and is easily seen in GHZ act 1.