Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=476193:date=Jul 7 2010, 12:18 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 7 2010, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476193">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476192:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:14 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476192">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First off yes it is. and second, 90% of the game is flat planes. In other words I can replicate nearly all of this on Sonic Adventure's engine. The only thing I can't replicate is the few simple lighting effects.

Also, because you have proved to me multiple times now you can not understand basic concepts, I have outlined everything that is a flat plane in this screenshot for you.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ahh ok. So thats why its average.
    Still think its prettier than most other Wii games.
    And I would like to see you replicate this on Sonic Adventures Engine. It would be pretty cool.

When I finish my hack I will pretty much. I'm using the same technique, as it's fine for something from the last console generation like SADX, but it's a bit subpar on a Wii game.

2. <!--quoteo(post=476196:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:22 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476196">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476193:date=Jul 7 2010, 12:18 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 7 2010, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476193">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476192:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:14 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476192">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First off yes it is. and second, 90% of the game is flat planes. In other words I can replicate nearly all of this on Sonic Adventure's engine. The only thing I can't replicate is the few simple lighting effects.

Also, because you have proved to me multiple times now you can not understand basic concepts, I have outlined everything that is a flat plane in this screenshot for you.

Ahh ok. So thats why its average.
    Still think its prettier than most other Wii games.
    And I would like to see you replicate this on Sonic Adventures Engine. It would be pretty cool.

When I finish my hack I will pretty much. I'm using the same technique, as it's fine for something from the last console generation like SADX, but it's a bit subpar on a Wii game.
    I don't know, Im not a techie like you.
    Maybe it is subpar. It still looks nice, and a lot of the things in the forground are actual models as opposed to pictures of models...right?
    Most Wii games I've played look a lot worse than this one anyway. The only games I've seen first-hand that look better are Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and few others in the form of pictures.

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    So, Polygon Jim, this game sucks because in the end it manages to look better than many other Wii games? I mean, I thought building 3D worlds implied such tricks like planes, as to extract the best visual effect from the console? Clearly I am wrong and SEGA is cheating and you are oh-so-right.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=476209:date=Jul 7 2010, 01:44 PM:name=The KKM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The KKM @ Jul 7 2010, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476209">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, Polygon Jim, this game sucks because in the end it manages to look better than many other Wii games? I mean, I thought building 3D worlds implied such tricks like planes, as to extract the best visual effect from the console? Clearly I am wrong and SEGA is cheating and you are oh-so-right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Learn to read. I never said the game sucks. I was saying it is subpar visually to what it could be and people need to stop sucking Sega's dick over it because it isn't all that impressive and could be done on a PS2.

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=476183:date=Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476183">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry no. This game looks okay but multiple 3rd party games look better. The one above is a WiiWare title even.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sonic Colors pushes way more geometry and shader effects than Shin'en (which, btw, you're posting bullshots of).

6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=476216:date=Jul 7 2010, 02:19 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jul 7 2010, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476216">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476183:date=Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476183">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry no. This game looks okay but multiple 3rd party games look better. The one above is a WiiWare title even.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sonic Colors pushes way more geometry and shader effects than Shin'en (which, btw, you're posting bullshots of).

No it doesn't. I can count the edges on Sonic Colors. It's one of the least geometry heavy games on the Wii. Also Sonic Colors hardly uses any shader effects compared to Jett Rocket.

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=476155:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:18 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476155">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic 06 has higher detail on textures, and models than Unleashed did for stages in some cases. It's just a more realistic art style. Although it's funny because Unleashed steals lot's of assets from 06 and people act like it looks amazing.

Unleashed Wii was made by Dimps, and they can't do anything right.

Edit:

To prove my point with the 06 thing, I got a wall, and sand texture from the equivalent stages from both games.

Unleashed
    Low res, dull textures.

They are higher detailed, and the wall is much more colorful. And oh look Unleashed actually used a downscaled 06 sand. Good job Sega.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd say it's all about artistic direction, though. Sonic Unleashed looks miles better than Sonic 2006 in almost every respect. 2006 is basically washed out and flat looking. Like a seriously upscaled PS2 game.

There's more to designing these games visually than simply the resolution of the textures, and even if 2006 had more resolution, Sonic Unleashed does a lot more with its textures and models with shaders and effects - ultimately with better results.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

<!--quoteo(post=476217:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:22 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476217">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476216:date=Jul 7 2010, 02:19 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jul 7 2010, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476216">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476183:date=Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476183">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry no. This game looks okay but multiple 3rd party games look better. The one above is a WiiWare title even.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No it doesn't. I can count the edges on Sonic Colors. It's one of the least geometry heavy games on the Wii. Also Sonic Colors hardly uses any shader effects compared to Jett Rocket.

...And you're a tech member? Shader effects aren't AA.

And yes, Sonic Colors is pushing quite a few shader effects.

EDIT: And since you're talking about how foolish people are for being fooled by 2D assets in the background in Sonic Colors, I'll point out that Shin'en isn't using true shader effects, it's using moving textures to simulate a lot of effects.

Ooops.

9. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=476221:date=Jul 7 2010, 02:36 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jul 7 2010, 02:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476221">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476217:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:22 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476217">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476216:date=Jul 7 2010, 02:19 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jul 7 2010, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476216">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476183:date=Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476183">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry no. This game looks okay but multiple 3rd party games look better. The one above is a WiiWare title even.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

EDIT: And since you're talking about how foolish people are for being fooled by 2D assets in the background in Sonic Colors, I'll point out that Shin'en isn't using true shader effects, it's using moving textures to simulate a lot of effects.

Ooops.

[​IMG]

Yep really geometry heavy right?

Also you're a fucking faggot, you know damn well I was talking about how you said the game is geometry heavy.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

<!--quoteo(post=476222:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:48 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 11:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476222">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476221:date=Jul 7 2010, 02:36 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jul 7 2010, 02:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476221">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476217:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:22 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476217">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476216:date=Jul 7 2010, 02:19 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jul 7 2010, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476216">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476183:date=Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476183">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry no. This game looks okay but multiple 3rd party games look better. The one above is a WiiWare title even.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ooops.

[​IMG]

Yep really geometry heavy right?

Also you're a fucking faggot, you know damn well I was talking about how you said the game is geometry heavy.

Cherry pick an empty screenshots an pretend the entire game is like that, then call someone a faggot because you don't know what the fuck a shaded is. You're looking really good buddy.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Okay, we're done with the insults here. I have no idea why you guys are arguing about any of this shit as if it actually fucking matters, but we're done with it. Show a bit of restraint, please.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=476155:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:18 AM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476155">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic 06 has higher detail on textures,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On the other hand, it looks bleak. Didn't we have a similar conversation in another thread that also degenerated into total lack of civility, by the way? I seem to recall supporting polygons in that argument. I guess I'll just register my ironic support for art direction here and be on my way.

EDIT: A little bird just told me the Nintendo Channel confirmed GameCube and Classic controller support for Sonic Colors. ;)

13. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

Now with twice the sprites. Member
    North Carolina
    STILL trying to get these damn spam bots off the Open Sonic forum.
    <!--quoteo(post=476244:date=Jul 7 2010, 04:03 PM:name=Solaris Paradox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Jul 7 2010, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476244">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: A little bird just told me the Nintendo Channel confirmed GameCube and Classic controller support for Sonic Colors. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

YES! I am definitely getting this now.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

<!--quoteo(post=476244:date=Jul 7 2010, 01:03 PM:name=Solaris Paradox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Jul 7 2010, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476244">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: A little bird just told me the Nintendo Channel confirmed GameCube and Classic controller support for Sonic Colors. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I saw a video a while back that showed a big green A button in place of the wii A button but I can't remember where. Either way, official confirmation that you can use the GCN controller is great. Hopefully lane changing is mapped to L and R.

15. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=476273:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:20 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jul 7 2010, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476273">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I saw a video a while back that showed a big green A button in place of the wii A button but I can't remember where. Either way, official confirmation that you can use the GCN controller is great. Hopefully lane changing is mapped to L and R.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was in Unwiished, wasn't it?

Anyway, they're not idiots. They know what people did and did not like about Sonic Unleashed HD's control scheme, so they know how the controls should work in this one. And that is why the Homing Attack is now back on the gods-damned jump button where it belongs, and finally on a seperate button from the Air Dash and, most importantly, the Air Boost[/I].

Now if they can keep their wits about them long enough to remember that nobody wants a Bounce or Stomp on the same button as the Lightspeed Dash, they'll be golden.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    <!--quoteo(post=476273:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:20 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jul 7 2010, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476273">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476244:date=Jul 7 2010, 01:03 PM:name=Solaris Paradox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Jul 7 2010, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476244">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: A little bird just told me the Nintendo Channel confirmed GameCube and Classic controller support for Sonic Colors. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I saw a video a while back that showed a big green A button in place of the wii A button but I can't remember where. Either way, official confirmation that you can use the GC controller is great. Hopefully lane changing is mapped to L and R.
    Holy fuckshit, AWESOME. A tiny change that shows that they're actually THINKING. It also likely means that waggle in this title is minimal or non-existent :)

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

<!--quoteo(post=476276:date=Jul 7 2010, 02:23 PM:name=Solaris Paradox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Jul 7 2010, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476276">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476273:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:20 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jul 7 2010, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476273">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I saw a video a while back that showed a big green A button in place of the wii A button but I can't remember where. Either way, official confirmation that you can use the GCN controller is great. Hopefully lane changing is mapped to L and R.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was in Unwiished, wasn't it?

Anyway, they're not idiots. They know what people did and did not like about Sonic Unleashed HD's control scheme, so they know how the controls should work in this one. And that is why the Homing Attack is now back on the gods-damned jump button where it belongs, and finally on a seperate button from the Air Dash and, most importantly, the Air Boost.

Now if they can keep their wits about them long enough to remember that nobody wants a Bounce or Stomp on the same button as the Lightspeed Dash, they'll be golden.

I personally didn't have a problem with the homing attack being the same button as the boost in the HD versions of unleashed because, in my mind, they did essentially the same thing. I just treated homing attacks like chained boosts. However many people did have problems and for that it's good they've changed it.

One of the best changes, however, is removing the air boost all together. Now, unless you have a lock, you just double jump. And that will probably make a world of different, as impatient people can now just spam the jump button when trying to chain attack without worry. In the past, if you pressed the jump button too early, it could lead to your death due to you shooting in an unwanted direction. Now it'll result in slightly more airtime to let you lock on.

Great change, IMO.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

<!--quoteo(post=476278:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:26 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Jul 7 2010, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476278">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy fuckshit, AWESOME. A tiny change that shows that they're actually THINKING. It also likely means that waggle in this title is minimal or non-existent :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it's not really a "change," they had Classic Controller and GameCube controller support in Unwiished as well. Frankly, the only reason the Storybook Series lacked such features was that they were designed to push the Wii's motion control gimmick, but as even Nintendo themselves aren't really exploiting that angle anymore, I'm not surprised to see SEGA following suit.

But anyway, we already knew the waggle function was going to be mainly to activate Wisps, and that, frankly, can easily be assigned a button. 'Sfar as I'm concerned, unless it's something awesome like Skyward Sword, the Wii can shove its 'mote up its shiny white ass. *ahem* So yeah, not much waggle in this one.

EDIT @ Cooljerk:

Putting the Homing Attack on the same button as something so volatile as the Air Boost was a really bad error in judgment on the part of the designers, since it meant Sonic'd go flying like a bullet if you mis-timed a Homing Attack. I very rarely died in Unleashed's Day Stages, but I can easily and honestly link the vast majority of my deaths to that same mis-mapping. That, and there was really no reason to move the Homing Attack off the jump button in the first place, since everyone was already used to it.

EDIT 2 @ Cooljerk:

Oh, and we've seen both the regular Air Dash and the Air Boost used in video footage, it just seems to be on a different button—probably the Boost button.

Also, I wonder if the Double Jump will disable your Homing Attack if you happen to mis-time the button press?

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    <!--quoteo(post=476281:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:30 PM:name=Solaris Paradox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Jul 7 2010, 10:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476281">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476278:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:26 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Jul 7 2010, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476278">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy fuckshit, AWESOME. A tiny change that shows that they're actually THINKING. It also likely means that waggle in this title is minimal or non-existent :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it's not really a "change," they had Classic Controller and GameCube controller support in Unwiished as well. Frankly, the only reason the Storybook Series lacked such features was that they were designed to push the Wii's motion control gimmick, but as even Nintendo themselves aren't really exploiting at angle anymore, I'm not surprised to see SEGA following suit.

But anyway, we already knew the waggle function was going to be mainly to activate Wisps, and that, frankly, can easily be assigned a button. 'Sfar as I'm concerned, unless it's something awesome like Skyward Sword, the Wii can shove its 'mote up its shiny white ass. *ahem* So yeah, not much waggle in this one.
    Fair enough.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the term "Unwiished" is fucking retarded? What's wrong with Unleashed Wii or Wii Unleashed =P

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

<!--quoteo(post=476278:date=Jul 7 2010, 02:26 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Jul 7 2010, 02:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476278">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy fuckshit, AWESOME. A tiny change that shows that they're actually THINKING. It also likely means that waggle in this title is minimal or non-existent :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Man I'm with you, I detest waggle. Especially lazy waggle where it's clear that it's just replacing a button press. I can't remember if you waggle to boost in unleashed, but it was a button when you had the CC or GCN controller. Hopefully that's the same case here with boosting/power ups.

Also, I guess this means none of the power ups require the pointer, huh? I detest waggle, but the pointer is fine on the wii.