Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. <!--quoteo(post=475943:date=Jul 6 2010, 10:34 PM:name=TimmiT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimmiT @ Jul 6 2010, 10:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475943">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->GamesRadar likes this game's graphics so much, they made an article about it: <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/f/sonic-colors-finally-360-quality-graphics-on-wii/a-20100706111242529025" target="_blank">http://www.gamesradar.com/f/sonic-colors-f...706111242529025</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not surprised. They do look good.
    See what happens when Sonic Team Wii actually try to make a game look good?

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Its old news they can make a game look good, but they still haven't made any games that play well in a decade.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    <!--quoteo(post=475765:date=Jul 6 2010, 02:15 AM:name=0r4ng3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Jul 6 2010, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475765">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475669:date=Jul 6 2010, 02:45 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jul 6 2010, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475669">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple questions. first off can anybody find me these 2 pics in a greater quality?:
    <a href="http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5063/soniccolors12.jpg" target="_blank">http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5063/soniccolors12.jpg</a>
    <a href="http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6388/soniccolors22.jpg" target="_blank">http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6388/soniccolors22.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*pic*

This is all stuff from the Press Vault I'm sure. I don't have access to it.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me either :(. stupid press gets all the good stuff...

Any idea where the other pic and the other stuff I mentioned?

4. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    If I still had a Wii, I'd seriously think about picking this up. From everything I've seen so far, it looks like a lot more of the Unleashed style gameplay, which is fine by me, as I thought that game was one of best Sonic games in a long while.

However, what strikes me as odd, is that the Unleashed style gameplay is that of the 360/PS3 version, and not the Dimps Wii version. Just to be sure, I compared videos of Unleashed Wii with Colours, and then with Unleashed 360, and it's definately the 360/PS3 style this game is using (the Wii version was pretty different, felt alot more like a racing game of sorts). It's noticable with Sonic's boosting in this game, his jump, and the general look of the game. It's a very curious thing, almost as if someone at Sonic Team realised that the Wii version didn't quite stand up to it's counterparts, so they decided to almost port over the other games engine or something.

That being said, this is certainly a beautiful looking Wii game. I'm almost fooled into thinking it's running on the 360 or something.

5. Dunno if this was discussed, but we have some <a href="http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicColors/#/screen" target="_blank">music on the JP site</a>...

6. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    <a href="http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicColors/sound.mp3" target="_blank">http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicColors/sound.mp3</a>

Interesting music. What's with the Endless Mine-ish parts?

7. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=475997:date=Jul 6 2010, 09:46 PM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jul 6 2010, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475997">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475765:date=Jul 6 2010, 02:15 AM:name=0r4ng3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Jul 6 2010, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475765">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475669:date=Jul 6 2010, 02:45 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jul 6 2010, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475669">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple questions. first off can anybody find me these 2 pics in a greater quality?:
    <a href="http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5063/soniccolors12.jpg" target="_blank">http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5063/soniccolors12.jpg</a>
    <a href="http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6388/soniccolors22.jpg" target="_blank">http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6388/soniccolors22.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*pic*

Neither of those images are on Sega's Press-vault.

Here's a screencap of the page so you can see what's on it.

[​IMG]

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    <!--quoteo(post=476073:date=Jul 6 2010, 10:48 PM:name=roxahris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (roxahris @ Jul 6 2010, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476073">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicColors/sound.mp3" target="_blank">http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicColors/sound.mp3</a>

Interesting music. What's with the Endless Mine-ish parts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think its been confirmed to be either the main menu or stage select music. the japan expo video should tell us either way.

<!--quoteo(post=476080:date=Jul 6 2010, 10:55 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 6 2010, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476080">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475997:date=Jul 6 2010, 09:46 PM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jul 6 2010, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475997">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475765:date=Jul 6 2010, 02:15 AM:name=0r4ng3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Jul 6 2010, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475765">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475669:date=Jul 6 2010, 02:45 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jul 6 2010, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475669">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple questions. first off can anybody find me these 2 pics in a greater quality?:

*pic*

Neither of those images are on Sega's Press-vault.

Here's a screencap of the page so you can see what's on it.

*pic*

Ah well ok that looks like their flickr page then. but those WIP and artwork section(s) do look interesting keep an eye on them will ya?...

9. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=476083:date=Jul 7 2010, 02:03 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jul 7 2010, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476083">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah well ok that looks like their flickr page then. but those WIP and artwork section(s) do look interesting keep an eye on them will ya?...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is just the normal Trailers Sega puts on Youtube. They never put anything special there.

10. That music reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy.

Now that I've listened to all of it, it's actually not that bad. I was on the JP site a few days ago but I turned off the music like I do with every Flash site.

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=475983:date=Jul 6 2010, 08:33 PM:name=Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dude @ Jul 6 2010, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475983">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its old news they can make a game look good, but they still haven't made any games that play well in a decade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eeeeeeeh, I wouldn't really say that so lightly, there. To be brutally honest, a good number of the games in the 3D series that have played badly have also featured some pretty lackluster visuals. Sonic '06 is a fine example of that—at first it looks fine, but when you actually stop to look at it, it's pretty bleak. Secret Rings and Black Knight looked pretty good, but Unwiished's graphics had a very half-hearted feel to them. It was clear that none of those environments were designed with Wii graphics limitations in mind, and no real effort was shown in making up for the deficiency.

That the Wii title this time around is showing such obvious budget and effort gives me a bit of pause. I'm used to the Wii getting stuck with the cheapo cash-ins, such that even the Wii version of Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands managed to impress me solely on the grounds of feeling like a stand-alone game with actual work and money put into it, despite its obvious patchy spots. Colors looks even more like a game designed by a team and company that actually take the console seriously, and that's interesting, if nothing else. I wonder if the "effort" aspect will impress me as much as Unleashed HD did? Actually, I kind of expect it to impress me more.

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=476154:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:14 AM:name=Solaris Paradox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Jul 7 2010, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476154">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475983:date=Jul 6 2010, 08:33 PM:name=Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dude @ Jul 6 2010, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475983">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its old news they can make a game look good, but they still haven't made any games that play well in a decade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sonic '06
    Unwiished's

Sonic 06 has higher detail on textures, and models than Unleashed did for stages in some cases. It's just a more realistic art style. Although it's funny because Unleashed steals lot's of assets from 06 and people act like it looks amazing.

Unleashed Wii was made by Dimps, and they can't do anything right.

Edit:

To prove my point with the 06 thing, I got a wall, and sand texture from the equivalent stages from both games.

Unleashed
    Low res, dull textures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are higher detailed, and the wall is much more colorful. And oh look Unleashed actually used a downscaled 06 sand. Good job Sega.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Downscaled sand in itself isn't bad, it's the fact that it (among many other textures, best seen in Jungle Joyride) are hideously stretched. Colours may be able to get away with such shortcuts because of it's less realistic style. Let's see how it works out.

14. <!--QuoteBegin-Polygon Jim+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Pics<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes that is true, but Unleashed did do a lot of other things better than 06, which is why many think the latter is better looking.
    Things such as the light source. I know you hate the Hedgehog Engine, but the lighting was much better than the dull lighting in 06.
    The Character Animations in Unleashed were vastly superior. The level art was also better, with use of much more vibrant colours.
    Unleashed also had no slowdown; yes it had framerate problems, but I didn't notice it slow down anywhere.
    But isn't that besides the point?

Sonic Colours is a very pretty game. Both in terms of art-style and in terms of graphical quality.
    Sure it will never match 1st party Wii games, such as Mario Galaxy made by Nintendo, but its probably the closest any 3rd party Wii game has got so far.

15. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=476182:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:45 AM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 7 2010, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476182">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but its probably the closest any 3rd party Wii game has got so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry no. This game looks okay but multiple 3rd party games look better. The one above is a WiiWare title even.

Although Colors looks nice, it's far from looking great.

16. <!--quoteo(post=476183:date=Jul 7 2010, 04:54 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476183">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476182:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:45 AM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 7 2010, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476182">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but its probably the closest any 3rd party Wii game has got so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry no. This game looks okay but multiple 3rd party games look better. The one above is a WiiWare title even.
    OK.
    Does it have to run at around 300mph?

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=476185:date=Jul 7 2010, 12:00 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 7 2010, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476185">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476183:date=Jul 7 2010, 04:54 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476183">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476182:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:45 AM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 7 2010, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476182">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but its probably the closest any 3rd party Wii game has got so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK.

You do realize that there is absolutely nothing different about going fast rightt? You could make Mario in Mario 64 run faster than Unleashed Sonic and nothing would change.

Also, Sonic in 06 machspeed sections were he runs pretty much the fastest he ever did in a videogame his top speed is 178.9549 MPH. just a heads up.

18. <!--quoteo(post=476186:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:03 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476186">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You do realize that there is absolutely nothing different about going fast rightt? You could make Mario in Mario 64 run faster than Unleashed Sonic and nothing would change.

Also, Sonic in 06 machspeed sections were he runs pretty much the fastest he ever did in a videogame his top speed is 178.9549 MPH. just a heads up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK.
    It does't change the fact that this game still looks better than most other Wii games. Yes there are exceptions, but this is by no means an average looking game.
    It still has a lot of shit going on in the background, like moving cars, spinning ferris wheels etc.

19. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=476188:date=Jul 7 2010, 12:08 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 7 2010, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476188">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476186:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:03 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476186">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476185:date=Jul 7 2010, 12:00 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 7 2010, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476185">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476183:date=Jul 7 2010, 04:54 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476183">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=476182:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:45 AM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 7 2010, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476182">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but its probably the closest any 3rd party Wii game has got so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK.

You do realize that there is absolutely nothing different about going fast rightt? You could make Mario in Mario 64 run faster than Unleashed Sonic and nothing would change.

Also, Sonic in 06 machspeed sections were he runs pretty much the fastest he ever did in a videogame his top speed is 178.9549 MPH. just a heads up.

this is by no means an average looking game.
    It still has a lot of shit going on in the background, like moving cars, spinning ferris wheels etc.

First off yes it is. and second, 90% of the game is flat planes. In other words I can replicate nearly all of this on Sonic Adventure's engine. The only thing I can't replicate is the few simple lighting effects.

Also, because you have proved to me multiple times now you can not understand basic concepts, I have outlined everything that is a flat plane in this screenshot for you.

[​IMG]

20. <!--quoteo(post=476192:date=Jul 7 2010, 05:14 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Jul 7 2010, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476192">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First off yes it is. and second, 90% of the game is flat planes. In other words I can replicate nearly all of this on Sonic Adventure's engine. The only thing I can't replicate is the few simple lighting effects.

Also, because you have proved to me multiple times now you can not understand basic concepts, I have outlined everything that is a flat plane in this screenshot for you.

Ahh ok. So thats why its average.
    Still think its prettier than most other Wii games.
    And I would like to see you replicate this on Sonic Adventures Engine. It would be pretty cool.