don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    It did. now I have a complete sound test.

You left out Sonic Blast/G Sonic on Game gear and Shadow the Hedgehog Sonic Blast had you lose 10 rings at a time as did Shadow.

2. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Sonic had a health bar in various dream events in his Winter Olympic Games.
    Granted, he didn't die, but...

3. That's probably what I was thinking of. Thanks.

Or it might have been Tails Adventures. There was HP in that game, right?

Moving back to Colours now, I kinda hope they make a direct sequel to this game.

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Heh, especially since they just got the translator working during the final cutscene.

5. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    I could have sworn there was another open ended plot hole of a cut scene involving the Frenzy Wisp, but I don't remember what it was....
    What I know for sure is that Robotnik already has his revenge planned... according to Robotnik.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I imagine it's the one involving Yacker, since Tails mentions he hasn't seen him in a while and it's never explained what happened.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Indeed, that was an odd one. Isn't it implied in the DS version that this was because he was looking for his mother?

8. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Not really. There's no mention of Yacker going missing at all in DS... and even if there was, there's no suggestion of Mama Wisp until the cutscene just before she appears.

I don't think there can be much to be read into it either way, as Yacker's there and dancing around happily in Tropical Resort pre-mind-control-cannon-meltdown.

Are you thinking of the flight-gague health bar?

Tails Adventure SORT OF had a health bar, in that you started off the level with a set number of rings, and getting hit knocked a limited number out of you (I think it was 4, or something wierd. Depended on WHAT you got his by, too). It was possible to replenish rings in-level, but you only ever got them out of enemies or destroyable blocks; there weren't any free-floating in the air like in normal Sonic.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    To quote HunterTSF here:

10. That's essentially HP represented by numbers instead of a bar. And Chaos Emeralds increased your max HP.

The number you lost depended on what hit you. Lava took off 4, small enemies took 1 or 2, etc. It's like Mega Man, but with rings instead of those orb things that recharge Mega Man's health and instead of a bar, you had numbers.

11. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    The Sonic Arcade Game had a health bar I think.

About Yacker going missing: I thought for awhile Baldy McNosehair kidnapped him to use for his energy, but that didn't appear to be the case.

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Well, I just played the multiplayer for the first time with my cousin. Having to deal with two Sonic on the same screen is a goddamn nightmare and made it a terrible but hilariously terrible experience. Thank god I've only unlocked 10 of those levels. >_>

Edit-

Having the score board in the top middle of the screen made the grindrail portions of it a pain in the ass because it made it much harder to see where you're going. >:(

13. Shwazoom

Shwazoom

^^^TIME STONE^^^
    Middle of Iowa
    Sonic Walkthroughs & Playthroughs on YouTube
    This game is boring. I can be entertained playing it but it is freaking boring!!

14. Bobinator

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting Member
    So, buddy, are you going to, I dunno, explain your opinion on this, or are we just supposed to automatically agree with you, or what? And if it's apparently so boring, how can you be entertained with it?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm still finding it mind-boggling some people don't enjoy this game. I mean, especially with what we have to compare it to. It makes my brain hurt.

15. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    You guys groupthink so hard it's scary sometimes. This thread has stayed clean and tidy for long enough.

Ready...
    Set...
    GO!
    [​IMG]

Allow me to elucidate. :eng101:

You see, as the alleged successor to Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors fails to capture the essence of the original. The only fast or "3D" sections are usually either straight lines or in-level cutscenes, and most of the game seems to focus on slow, precarious platforming over giant pits. It just isn't Sonic. Unleashed on the other hand was unique in that it used speed in a new way that didn't feel cheap or automated. The player was able to actually control Sonic's every movement at full speed, and the levels were built around making the game flow, rather than just simple platforming. It presented new challenges based on having quick reflexes and good maneuverability skills to keep Sonic away from danger, and gave the player an overwhelming sense of power no matter how experienced, but especially after learning the lay of the land. As for the Werehog, it was at least more fun to me than blocky 2D platforming as Sonic.

Colors wins as a platformer because it doesn't stray far from just that - basic, blocky platforming - but fails as a Sonic game because the levels don't seem to have much of a flow or rhythm to them. They restrict the player from their abilities in a way I've never seen before in a Sonic game. Most of the time there are no optional speed paths and failing a platforming challenge will lead to sudden death. You would think that the Wisps would compensate for this, but as far as the main game goes, they just seem far and few. Going back for the Red Rings does present some fun challenges involving them, but the Mega Man-esque levels just feel out of place, and some of them just feel like a chore to return to. It's irritiating because despite all of the clamor, the game takes all the problems people have been complaining about for years and magnifies them. Too many death pits? Autoplay? Dash pad abuse? Colors has it all.

Not to mention, I feel like it's spitting in the face of both classic and modern Sonic with the whole stupid "retro" theme it has going on. Come on Sega, Game Land?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Really? You don't like the retro theme the game has going for it? God forbid they try some new environments, or I suppose you would like to see Sega's take at a tropical beach or the apocalypse again.

Come on now that's just silly to not like.

However I do agree. Sonic Unleashed's levels just work a bit better IMO. I absolutely love Jungle Joyride Act 1 and Windmill Valley Act 2. They're just wonderful. I say a sequel needs to combine the best elements of Unleashed and Colors, and then we'd have the perfect Sonic game.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I do agree with this. I'd rather play through Rooftop Run Act 1 or Jungle Joyride Act 1 than any level in Sonic Colours, because I just love the way those levels flow.

That said, I disagree with what you said later - most of the time there are optional speed paths, and a vast majority of the time failing a platforming challenge leads to a lower route instead. And besides, the fact that the game restricts your speed so much just gives me more motivation to go faster, especially as Super Sonic.

18. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    I don't mind the cartoony environments, but the various "nostalgic" inserts just annoy me. I see no reason for "classic"-styled level layouts like Game Land in a game that's supposed to be modern and all about innovating and trying something new (especially when there's a certain other project that's supposed to be taking care of 'classic' stuff simultaneously, but that's a whole different can of worms ;)). Likewise, there's no real reason for Moto Bugs and Buzzers to be zipping around or for Super Sonic to be playable in-levels. They didn't need to rely on old assets to make Unleashed an enjoyable game, so why do it here? I feel like a decent portion of this game's reception among fans is just hype-driven by silly things like new voice actors and "oldschool" stuff. I just want a new dog with new tricks. :v:

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Welcome to the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.

20. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    That's not exactly what I meant. I look at a game like Donkey Kong Country Returns and I see innovation, new ideas everywhere. Even though it shares the same title as a series that hasn't seen the light of day in over 14 years, everything feels new and different, making for a much more interesting experience. Sonic has come a long way since the Genesis games, usually with some new tricks up his sleeve every time. When I play Colors, I feel like we've backslid just a bit. The game has enormous potential, but a lot of it is wasted on things we've already seen before. Where are the new badniks? Where are the fresh level gimmicks? It's 2011, I want something that will blow my mind more than Super Sonic.