Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

I have about 17 red rings to go, and about all of the S ranks left to get, and I might not go for all of them. It's seriously hard to go for S ranks in this game. Anyway, to my point:

The level layout can go from pure genius to terrible. There are too many universal objects in the game. As in, the generic boxes. Entire level sections are made only out of these cubes and generic platforms. There's platforming, yes, but the style of platforming and level flow almost makes this seem like not a Sonic game at all. This is what Sega needs to work on next: the rehashing of levels, bosses, and the continuous used of generic objects needs to stop. Instead they must model sections of level rather than adding these set pieces. These were the main things that stopped Sonic Colors from feeling like a truly great game.

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Misfit
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    So, I'll ask again. Do S-Ranks do anything at all?

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Nope. They just make the counter in the top left corner go up by one until 44.

S ranks are easy as shit to get. Just abuse the living crap out of color abilities to get bonuses. This game rewards you more for just dicking around in the stages than it does blasting through stages, as I've said before. However, don't overdo it because each stage has an invisible time limit. If you take too long, the bonus gauge will say "Time Over!" and you get no bonuses at the end of the level for time and rings, and you'll also stop receiving any other bonus within the stage.

4. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

A generic young member. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=527436:date=Nov 8 2010, 10:26 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Nov 8 2010, 10:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=527436">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=527434:date=Nov 8 2010, 03:24 PM:name=K2J)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (K2J @ Nov 8 2010, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=527434">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not spoiling myself even on the soundtrack until next week. People seem to be getting excited all of a sudden, though - is that due to the leak, or just the soundtrack?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's because we're all discovering the shit they hadn't shown us/let us hear yet, and surprise surprise - it's even better than what they have shown off.

This is one of the best OSTs in the entire series from what I'm listening to. I haven't heard a bad track yet.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have. Sweet Mountain. All of it. It's absolutely dreadful to listen to because the brass is so obnoxious there that it overshadows almost all the rest of the orchestra.

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    That's strange there isn't a reward for getting all of the S ranks. That take away a lot of incentive to even try. >_>

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    There hasn't been an award for all perfect ranks since Sonic 2006, where it was initially believed that All S Ranks = Rainbow Gem = Super Sonic in stages.

But that's Sonic 2006. In Sonic Unleashed... I forgot what it was originally expected to be (probably Super Sonic again with infinite boost... not like that'd be any different), but there was nothing there.

I guess they figured people didn't want to go for all S Ranks because it may be hard for some people to do? You pretty much need to abuse colors and not get hit a lot (or at all) during stages while completing them in a timely manner to reach the rank.

7. Fiamonder

Fiamonder

Amsterdam
    Sonic Generations & Knuckles
    <!--quoteo(post=532264:date=Nov 21 2010, 07:13 PM:name=GeneHF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneHF @ Nov 21 2010, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=532264">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There hasn't been an award for all perfect ranks since Sonic 2006, where it was initially believed that All S Ranks = Rainbow Gem = Super Sonic in stages.

But that's Sonic 2006. In Sonic Unleashed... I forgot what it was originally expected to be (probably Super Sonic again with infinite boost... not like that'd be any different), but there was nothing there.

I guess they figured people didn't want to go for all S Ranks because it may be hard for some people to do? You pretty much need to abuse colors and not get hit a lot (or at all) during stages while completing them in a timely manner to reach the rank.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, there were unlockable achievements/trophies for S ranking every stage on both games '06 and Unleashed if memory serves right, but that's not in-game.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That was more a consolation prize, and in Unleashed, it was only for getting one S Rank.

9. S-ranks are really just there to add replayability. Hasn't stopped me from trying, though. I'm not even finished Tropical Resort though.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    <!--quoteo(post=531708:date=Nov 19 2010, 08:38 PM:name=Jen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jen @ Nov 19 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=531708">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=531398:date=Nov 18 2010, 06:25 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Nov 18 2010, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=531398">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK, so I've been in London all day on business but apparently Argos called up - Dad had to speak to them and pretend to be me due to the Data Protection Act but now they're telling ME about this whole "send your games back and we'll send you the games back with figures" thing.

Why not just, you know, SEND ME THE FUCKING FIGURES, Argos?! I'm going to have to call them at lunch tomorrow as I'm occupied all weekend - and to top it off, they didn't mention my second order at all. That's going to be fucking rectified, I tell you what.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're definitely gonna need to call them back about it, because that's not right. I got a call from them myself yesterday - they told me that "the figure was never sent out to you as the stock didn't get delivered to us on time". They then reserved a figure in my local Argos free of charge, which I went and collected today (they offered me a £15 voucher as an alternative, but obviously I chose to get my figure). You should ask them to do that for you, too. If they do reserve one for you, make sure you take your reservation number to customer services rather than the normal paying area - I was waiting in the normal queue for 15 minutes only to be told "oh, sorry, you need to take that to customer services to be authorised", what a complete waste of time.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've been away for the last few days, so here's a summary of what happened when I called Argos on Friday afternoon:

* Explained about the second order, woman says I will have to send both games back. I'm annoyed about this, but agree, and she says not to worry about one of them being unsealed.
    * Just as I'm heading out the door back to work (I called them at lunch, no other time), she rings back with a WAIT DON'T DO THAT WE HAVE NO FIGURES. Then proceeds to tell me the figures are not an option, they're all gone. Cash value offer only, sorry.
    * At this point, I finally snap, lose my cool, and slightly angrily point out I placed one of these preorders TWO MONTHS AGO, and that her counter-offer due to stock "running out" is unacceptable for an order placed TWO MONTHS PREVIOUS TO RELEASE. I had to leave for work, so I handed her over to my father to deal with (who was off that day, fortunately, otherwise I'd really have been fucked at this point).
    * I get back from work a few hours later, to find a note from Dad who'd managed to finally secure - for BOTH orders - a figurine that I'm going to attempt to get tomorrow afternoon during lunch, via the in-store system reservation you mentioned. However, they're both the Wii variant, as it appears they're out of DS ones.

I'm leaving my FINAL judgement on this entire affair until after I've been to the store tomorrow as after this frankly DISGUSTING service I don't fully trust Argos to follow through on this offer, even in its current botched form. At least I hadn't got around to posting my fucking games off!

And as for the figure selling - wow. They really DO have no fucking clue what they're doing, do they?

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    With idiocy like that, it's no secret GAME is doing better over there (even if GAME is the British incarnate GameStop.)

12. Overlord

Overlord

Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    I suspect part of the problem is that Argos is somewhat a British Wal*Mart in that they sell all sorts of things from garden furniture and sofas to TVs and washing machines - games are just one small line of things they do. In fact, I'm surprised they were even interested in going for this preorder offer in the first place unless they planned to sell the figures all along and screw over those who'd done the preordering, hoping they'd forget about it.

GAME might be somewhat evil, but at least they respect preorder offers.

13. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Don't you have a Gamestation near by? If I have to buy a game in the high street, I'll go there. The staff are friendly, helpful and generally have a good knowledge of what they're selling, even retro consoles. Argos I totally avoid especially in Torquay, where it's always packed full chavs getting their Elizabeth Duke finger ice. High online delivery charges piss me off too.

To keep this on topic;
    Is this game worth getting a Wii for?

14. Overlord

Overlord

Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    <!--quoteo(post=532335:date=Nov 21 2010, 09:49 PM:name=SteelBrush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteelBrush @ Nov 21 2010, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=532335">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't you have a Gamestation near by? If I have to buy a game in the high street, I'll go there. The staff are friendly, helpful and generally have a good knowledge of what they're selling, even retro consoles. Argos I totally avoid especially in Torquay, where it's always packed full chavs getting their Elizabeth Duke finger ice. High online delivery charges piss me off too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2007/05/02/Game_buys_Gamestation/1" target="_blank">Gamestation IS Game now</a>. =( You hadn't noticed the phasing out of most of the retro stock?

Also, I only used Argos because of the preorder, and paid a little more FOR it, which makes this fuckup even more galling. I won't be using them again when there's a choice available.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To keep this on topic;
    Is this game worth getting a Wii for?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By itself? Possibly, but it's definitely worth getting a Wii for Colours as WELL as some of the other titles on the platform - both the Mario Galaxies, Super Paper Mario (fuck the haters), NSMB Wii, and Smash Bros Brawl all spring to mind, and this ignores DKC Returns which comes out next month. =P

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I don't know if I'd get a Wii just for this game Steelbrush, but if you do happen to pick one up this game is definitely worth looking into.

Overlord's suggestions are pretty good.

16. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    <!--quoteo(post=532338:date=Nov 21 2010, 09:55 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Nov 21 2010, 09:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=532338">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2007/05/02/Game_buys_Gamestation/1" target="_blank">Gamestation IS Game now</a>. =( You hadn't noticed the phasing out of most of the retro stock?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I heard rumours of a buy out, never bothered looking into it because nothing seemed to change, oh well. I expected like most things it will take a few years to filter down to the backwater cesspit that is Torquay and Newton Abbot. I'll keep an eye out for retro bargains in the second hand stock sell off.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    Actually, they ended up shipping most of the retro stock around here to other Gamestations - there's like a handful around the country (the really big ones) that are designated stores for Retro stock, iirc Oxford is mine.

But this is rather going offtopic now =P

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I have 100%'d Sonic Colors today, and with that I also did a run through of the Egg Shuttle mode. Funny how Sonic Colors has a better Genesis mode than Sonic 4 =P

But overall I thought it was a really fun game. Probably my third favorite Sonic game of all time after Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Sonic 2. It was a great step in the right direction for this series, but there were some things in particular that kinda irked me. One was the fact that they reused way too many parts of previous levels for different ones. Some acts look like layout hacks of only parts of another act. What I think they should have done was add another world, and make each world have 3 acts and a boss.

Speaking of bosses, those are too easy and they repeat themselves. I loved the ideas for the first three bosses but they should have thought of something else for the last three. I did like the final battle against Eggman though.

Also they need to vary up the platforming a bit. It was stated before, but the 2D Platforming sections require too much on floating platforms and blocks and stuff, and Sonic Unleashed suffered from that too. They need to learn how to mix up the 2D sections a little more in ways not involving the powerups (not saying those aren't good though). Go look back to Sonic 3 a bit.

And I don't know, maybe it's because of the graphics, or the fact that you can't go as fast in this game, but for some reason I like the Unleashed day time levels a tad bit more than these. I do like the levels but Abadat Act 1 and Apotos Act 1 and the Sonic parts of Eggmanland just were so awesome. But that could just be because of the graphics. Planet Wisp, Aquarium Park, and Tropical Resort were probably my favorite environments. But there weren't any environments in this game I particularly disliked, although I wish a snow level was in this game (Always a fan of snow environments).

But all in all, it was a good game. I'd probably give it about an 8.5. Love the music, the environments, and the powerups, they just needed to mix things up a bit more than they did. While the wisps do a good job of mixing things up, they also really seem to serve the purpose of simply making it appear that the levels are more varied than they actually are.

Also it was nice to go underwater again :D

19. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    Let me know when the hackers enable Super Sonic in challenge mode. I'll be all over that.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If the hackers can allow Super Sonic to use wisp powers that would be godly