don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. corneliab

corneliab

Just did a runthrough of the DS version. Loved it.

This game definitely isn't a hopeless wannabe like the Wii/PS2 Unleashed. It stands apart from the Wii version and is wonderful for it- the level design is excellent and I didn't come across a single bottomless pit up until the boss arena for Aquarium Park. Boss-wise this game just tears its console counterpart a new one- they're all unique and incorporate Wisps in cool ways. In fact, I would say the DS' counterpart for the Wii final boss is superior- it's more difficult and varied in its attacks.

I was a bit worried about the Wisps' apparent mandatory-ness, and even though they are often required for use (though don't get me wrong- there's a bunch of optional paths that involve them as well), they're really fun add a lot of flavor to the game.

All in all I would say that I prefer this game to the Rush titles, though I do have a few nitpicks. The wall-jump is handled downright stupidly, and is completely situational for no damn reason other than to gimp you. It's only possible to use it in specific areas, even though it would often help to be able to use it elsewhere. I also have no idea why they bothered to implement the slide move and the areas that require them- the former is offensively useless with the spin in mind, and the latter are pretty much impossible to see coming in a 2D game.

But yeah, great game. Skipped all the cutscenes since I couldn't stand the dopey music though.

EDIT: Just got all the emeralds and fought the bonus boss. Yeah, it's an ass-pull, but I liked the fight. It's pretty cool how it goes all 3D on you- that's a first for a portable Super Sonic fight.

Also, like Sonic 4, you can restart a special stage before you lose it.

2. Flare

Flare

I love this so much, finally playing the wii version, controls could be tighter and Sonic can be hard to see at points but WHO THE HECK CARES I LOVE THIS GAME TOO MUCH TO FIND FAULT WITH IT.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Bah, even my favorite games are games I find fault with. I have no doubt that once I'm done playing Colors, I'll have a whole list of complaints I could run through, probably starting with how a number of the game's acts are either too small, made of recycled level chunks, or seem to be a quick cop-out act because they needed to meet the six-act quota (that one level that's nothing but Motobugs racing you around a planet's rings? Yeah...). You don't have to dislike or even be annoyed with a game to complain about it, that's my thought on it.

4. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    No, I mean "concept arts", like "drawings made for the game" that are unlocked in the DS version when you get those red rings.
    I'm not interested in the 3D models.

5. Just to let everyone know, K-mart's offer on Sonic Colors is a 15.00 coupon for a future purchase and this offer is good on the DS and Wii version. Considering this, I may pick up the DS version also-- I did not like Sonic Rush though. Anyone who did not like Sonic Rush like Sonic Colors on DS?

6. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Holy fuck, the people working on a Sonic game actually did something exactly as I imagined it. GJ Sega.

7. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Seriously? They got him? Wow SEGA, I'm impressed.
    Who does he sound like though? Kon (Bleach)? Reno (FFVII)? Axel (KH2)? Who?

8. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    what

...Oh god, this is gonna lead to fangirls doing something incredibly stupid, is it?

9. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvjLf21n9no

The last bit sounds a little like Axel (and by proxy, a bit like Raiden).

10. ArchangelUK

ArchangelUK

Used to do things. No one quite recalls what. Member
    UK
    Someone summoned me?

Overlord you still got an issue with this? If so please mail me.

11. Jay T.

Jay T.

I was kind of hoping to avoid that, but...eh. Whatever. Silver does sound pretty good though. Though part of me is still going to miss his old voice. Something about it, I just liked. But hey, Quinton Flynn. That's all sorts of kick ass.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    AAUK, please confirm something for me?

The announcer voice. The one that yells out Wisp powers and the good/great/etc.? That's an announcer, correct? Because I'm really tired of explaining to people that it isn't Sonic, and I'm also tired of telling them to stop arguing that it is Sonic even though it's clearly not. The fact that it makes no sense for Sonic to sound like an announcer doesn't stop them from arguing that it makes more sense somehow than there being an announcer in the first place, because somehow there being an announcer doesn't make sense. Even though it does, and it sounds like there is one.

So, can you officially confirm that the announcer voice is an announcer voice? Please?

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Vic is Omega?! wow...thats something

And quinton flynn is apart of the sonic series now?!

Whos next? david hayter and sean schemmel?

14. Jay T.

Jay T.

Sean Schemmel did Black Doom's voice.
    Part of me still says he would've been a great voice for Sonic. But that's just me.

15. MastaSys

MastaSys

There is a point of the game that another character use the wisp powers, and the voice used it's the same.
    So yeah it's an "announcer", not Sonic for sure.

16. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Only 45 red coins left untill "THAT!" *eeee squeel*

No level has less than 3 outta 5 now, getting harder to find x_x

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Does that apply to everyone?

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Ah, the + - final boss   . Why didn't I think of that?

19. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
  20. ArchangelUK

ArchangelUK

Used to do things. No one quite recalls what. Member
    UK
    Yeah anyone having Argos issues send me a PM and will get onto it in the morning.

If people think that sounds like Sonic you need a hearing test I think.....

Why would Sonic call out Eggman's attacks on the final boss??!?

Edit: Damnit, Espio'd. Lol