don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Played through the first whole "zone", and I dig it. Way too easy, and the jumping physics are hella wonky, but not bad for a Sonic meets Super Mario World game.

I'll reserve total judgment until I've played a bit more. Digging the new voices and the character attitudes.

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    So, while, without a doubt this is the best 3D sonic game ever, and I'd honestly consider it to match the original series in terms of quality, I'd just like to say that Asteroid Rollercoaster is a pretty shitty zone. It seems like it was ripped straight out of the Sonic Adventure series, music and all. And while I like the SA series, Sonic Colors as a whole is several steps above them. AR features spotty level design and bad butt rock.

But hey, every sonic game has at least 1 zone I don't like (excluding Sonic CD).

Appreciate the help! I'll try this when I get home.

Also, yeah, going left is a huge part to finding all the secrets in this game. Considering the "hold right to win" meme, I find that funny.

Kinda sucks how many sections have invisible walls which block you from going back though. It's weird to run forward and note something you miss, and then you try to turn around to go back, only for a wall to magically be blocking you.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Polygon Jim isn't very interested in doing the DS rips. Anyone up for it?

4. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    That's what I meant by 'supposed to'.

Brah, whatever. I'm being hypocritical now by playing the DS version (which is very good compared to the Rush games).

5. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    This game. This fuckin' game.

That's all I got.

This fuckin' game.

Editor's Note: the term "This fuckin' game ©." is meant to be taken in a positive light, and does not at all reflect a poor judgment on the product.

6. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Hm, yeahp. GT had some valid criticisms then, but what about the controls? They don't seem to be as bad as they're making it out to be, whether they're playing an alpha/beta build or not. Is it really that hard to wonky to drift, move from side-to-side, or quickstep with the nunchuk? Either way, I'm sure I'll find a lot of enjoyment in the game even with it's faults. If it's better than Sonic Adventure and Unleashed, then I don't see how I won't.

Anyways, AR can't be as bad as Rail Canyon. That level was just frustrating.

Interestingly enough, I'm noticing more shots and such that remind of the way the camera behaved in Sonic Adventure, but only the good parts. Unleashed had some of those dramatic angles as well, come to think it of, at least the PS360 versions had them. That's nice.

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    The only bad part is I have no money until the 1st D:

8. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Aww fiddlesticks, the game doesn't save on my Flash Cart.

I guess that might be the anti-piracy.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I wouldn't say that the GT trailer had any real valid criticisms, actually. The level design in all stages is at worst adequate. I don't find AR to be very fun, but it's still not outright broken. I say it's annoying because a lot of times you need to lock onto shit and home attack to springs, because you won't hit them automatically anymore, like in the rest of the game.

The controls in SC are pretty great. They're tight, responsive, and feel good. Jumping is a bit floaty, and you do have a tendency to overshoot small platforms, but the double jump removes a lot of the frustration. My only real complaint about the controls is that you quick step with the analog stick. This isn't a huge problem, but the two triggers on the CC and GCN controller literally do nothing. They're not used in the game at all. It felt so much better quickstepping with those. Also, when you can quickstep, the game will automatically move you forward, which is good, but pressing up on the stick still increases your acceleration. This extra acceleration is necessary to hit some of the higher paths, and tapping left and right on the stick stops you from holding up, which slows you down a bit. Again, this minor complaint could have been solved by making quickstepping map to the shoulder pads.

Dumb mistake. Luckily, I can fix this with dolphin :D

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I agree with this statement. Still, I think it was kind of important to have their negative review present (yes, a 6.4 is negative, I think of it basically being a D.) they didn't articulate any issues that are really a problem, but at least it will get people thinking more critically, so we can better articulate the issues with the game and hopefully influence an even better one down the road. I just want to get my hands on this game!!

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Eh, it occurred to me, but you can just let common ol' idiom handle that. When someone, especially another human or a familiar face from one's own planet, uses the term "the world," the brain is used to interpreting this as meaning "THE world," the one they consider home. Trying to overcompensate by overexplaining his meaning just makes for clunky writing.

12. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Someone, please, enlight me: doesn't Eggman says in the PA system of Aquarium Park something like "[blah blah blah] there are escape pods to take you back to Earth" (don't remember the actuall sentence)? Just a thought.

13. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    The inclusion of + - Super Sonic in normal action stages   really surprised me! Can't wait to get this game!

14. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I still probably won't buy this. It's too far from Sonic Adventure and that game was going in the right direction (or at least as close to that as any official game has ever come, I'm still of the opinion fans can do much better than SEGA) but I wanted to say that I like the new VAs, Sonic's voice reminds me of how I've always thought he should sound and Tails sounds more like a little boy. It still isn't anything like he sounded in SatAM or Adventure but it's an improvement over that hackjob that was doing his voice before. I would even vote for Sonic's VA to do Knuckles' voice as well, for when he'll be appearing in a new Sonic game.

15. Felik

Felik

Actually Asteroid Coaster (yes, Coaster, not Rollercoaster) is my second favorite zone after Tropical Resort.

The zone that I really hate is Starlight Carnival. It's just made of boredom and automation.

P.S. Now Sonic can officially swim.

16. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    So much for "Sonic's weakness is not being able to swim." Now what's his weakness supposed to be?

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    He can't fly like Tails can (Well least not normally) However he can kinda glide when he does that sky diving stuff.

18. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Sonic's evolved, pretty much. I like the addition of swimming, myself. As for weaknesses, everyone's got one, only some peoples' weaknesses are more apparent than others'. Knuckles' gullibility for example. I'm pretty sure someone could take advantage of Sonic's pride at some point and get him into a real mess.

19. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Sonic being able to actually swim (or rather, perform an underwater Space Jump) is a pretty cool addition, I think. Sure, he doesn't have a real weakness anymore, but think of it this way... it took him how many games to overcome his weakness to water? Exactly.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Go buy the game then you cheap fuck. The no-save facility should be treated as it being a temporary demo for those waiting for it, like most of the rest of us =P

And oh god + - Super in 3D in actual LEVELS. Best Sonic game in over a decade!