don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Deep story lines, grim and gritty games are all well and good. It just depends on what type of game.

FPS's need to be grim and gritty, because War is fucking shit. Its brutal and the game needs to respect this and portray it exactly how it is.
    Heavy Rain had a depressing story because its a crime-thriller-novel-film-game-type-thing.

Sonic the Hedgehog on the other hand. That doesn't need "grim and gritty" its a fucking blue hedgehog.
    I don't mind story lines in the vain of SA2, where there is some explanation and epicness, but the kind of melodrama that was in Shadow and 06, needs to be gone.

Sonic Colours, is a step in the right direction for kids games. Although, I still think that Unleashed had the right balance of humour and seriousness.

All in all, its shaping up to be a pretty decent game. Whether or not it will be incredible or shit, is yet to be seen. I myself, am hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this one.

2. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Dare you even mention Heavy Rain's immaculated name in this thread, really, you.

But you are right. And this idea of steering this game towards the young children public in their one digit age is oh!-so-crazy, that it might actually work, in a business planning way, that is. The game can become very, very simple, and end up what we always wanted for. It's sounds crazy, but sounds right at the same time.

3. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Yeah, that just blew my mind.

But evidently we can still count on blazing through stages, chaining aliens, and making use of this boost gauge they mentioned. I guess we'll just have to wait and see come E3.

4. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I don't have a Wii and a teaser trailer for a game I know barely anything about is making me consider buying one... Am I a huge sucker or is that trailer entrancing or something?

5. E3 always comes quickly when you're not interested, but now, when we have two games lined up from Sonic Team/Dimps, time slows down SO much.

Also, at this point, SEGA should just buy Dimps out, I mean they have basically replaced Sonic Team in the 2D department.

6. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    edit: never mind, that was my fault for not reading the whole page.

Edit2: Sonic can work with more serious storylines, the ones in the mid 2000s were just pathetic failures at it. (See SatAM.)

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It'd be a losing deal for Dimps, who work on much more than Sonic.

8. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    WTF was that?! Is like Pokemon meets Sonic meets lame.

9. Volpino

Volpino

Where were you when the chao were introduced? :v:

If they're like the chao though I'd be seriously excited.

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Mario 64 had storytelling?

EDIT: No, but seriously, that's not really a fair comparison. In 64, the Stars were just there, there wasn't really any kind of story told about them. In Sunshine, they *attempted* to utilize the same system without actual Stars, by introducing the Shine Sprites. Returning to Power Stars in the galaxy games was both thematically fitting and, likely, a symbolic response to the divided reactions to Sunshine's maverick approach to the gameplay--"Hey, look, we're going back to Super Mario 64 gameplay!" ...Not to mention there was actually some explanation for the Power Stars' existence via the Luma and Comet Observatory plot threads.

11. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    It's been a while since I played Black Knight so just did.

And this is what they mean by "Kid Friendly"? I mean, I know it can be hard to take seriously but storywise I think it's one of the darker, more well told stories, they talk in mostly proper old English that would overlook children, have talk of demons, the underworld, death several times, betrayal and have one of the firmest examples of Sonic and Amy being a legitimate couple.

Is this really what we're talking about with kid friendly? Sonic Heroes seemed more kid friendly than this.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Sonic Heroes wasn't just kid-friendly, it was blatantly condescending and hyper-simplistic. As if the signs strewn about the landscape weren't enough, the game felt the need to constantly bombard the player with instructions on how to continue. Never mind the nonsensical, cheesy, hyper-simplistic story.

Black Knight wasn't making any attempt to be mature, but it wasn't blatantly childish, either.

13. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    that why I say Pokemon meets Sonic meet lame
    chao where cool, but you didnt have to interact with them, it was optional now this rainbow things are a main part of the game.

14. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

God forbid something new be introduced and have it actually be good. :british:

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    There's a lot stuff out there that's kid friendly but has some darker tones to it in a lot of media, The Lion King (Hamlet for kids!) comes to mind.

16. Volpino

Volpino

^ This.

Why does The Land Before Time also pop into my head? The first movie of that was actually kind of sad and apparently meant for young kids. :v:

I think kids can handle death and demons. Why must we cradle our children with the bullshit we have today where everything is censored or dumbed-down? Obviously a kid's story shouldn't be too serious but the other extreme is no better.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    All Dogs go to Heaven.

That was some dark stuff right there, meant for kids.

[/off topic]

18. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Are people complaining about a Sonic game not being dark enough? This is an honest question as the Sonic 4 threads have shown me that a bunch of people around here will distort things that people say into complaints that are easier to argue with. No idea why. I get the idea that people are complaining about it being for kids because that gives the impression that it's just going to be the exact same crap Sega's been shoveling for last 10 years.

19. I don't think Shadow and 06 were really "for kids" because of quite a lot of demonic and hell-like undertones in Shadow, and the beastality subplot and the fact that SONIC DIES in S2K6.
    Those don't spring to mind as games that SEGA could just pass off as being for Kids. They clearly weren't.
    As for this game being for kids. That isn't a problem, so I don't know why some people act like it is. Sonic 1, 2 and 3K were all designed for children and so is this one.
    Melodrama be damned at this point. What we need is simplicity, because when SEGA get complicated, they produce a laughable amount of plotholes.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

What about SatAM?