don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    While we're here, one thing us Colors Criticizers forget is that the game was designed to be able to be played on a Wiimote with a d pad.

That explains the heavy focus on 2D and more linear 3D sections to me. I don't expect anything to change with the level design but I am curious how Sonic will move when he's directly made to run off an Analog stick.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've mentioned this before but I hope that without the wiimote limitations that certain moves aren't restricted to certain areas. Basically I hope they copy Generations' control scheme but add back the double jump.

There's no good reason why we shouldn't be able to drift or side step now whenever we want.

3. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    They COULD do that, but since the level design wasn't built with it in mind I don't think it would really add much.
    Of course, they could also change the level design, but I think it's pretty clear by now that they're not doing that (which is a shame, but whatever, it's pretty clear this rerelease wasn't made for people like me anyway)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    For what it's worth, I played about 2 levels of Colours with a Wiimote, said "fuck this", plugged in a GameCube pad and never went back, and I don't believe I missed out on a single thing. Colours isn't going to suffer from a lack of waggle.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Playing with the Wiimote alone was rarely ideal for any game and totally garbage for Colours. But combined with the Nunchuck, it was absolutely fine. I've never found "waggle" to be the slightest issue when it's just an occasional, gentle flick of the wrist as in Colours. It's such an overblown criticism. I'll accept the way that people deride the motion controls of Secret Rings and Black Knight, but for the Wiimote + Nunchuck setup in Colours it was just so insignificant.

I wonder how faithful Sonic's movement and physics will be in Ultimate compared to the original game. Colours was fine and general didn't ask much from the player in controlling Sonic, but he still controlled like arse. He was heavy, his turning circle was wide, he lost the ability to turn when he was going at a jogging pace and his jumping behaviour was jank as fuck. I really hope that Blind Squirrel have tweaked those things. And if they've added in his full Generations/Unleashed moveset (plus double jump, obviously) instead of his contextual moveset, that's all the better.

6. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    It's not really that big of an issue, it just... doesn't make sense over just pressing a button, IMO, since it's like twice the effort for the same effect.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's the point that I'm making though. It's no extra effort, no extra inconvenience. I used a GCN controller for Unleashed Wii back in the day, but ended up preferring the Wiimote plus Nunchuck for Colours. It was just comfortable to play that game. Guess I was just a big fan of those controllers. It was the only system that I could play with my arms crossed.

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I played with Wiimote and Nunchuck and got on fine too. Perhaps a button would've made more sense but I didn't have any issues with it and managed to S-rank the entire game that way.

9. I just used the GameCube controller since that's what I was used to. Using a Wiimote for platformers feels off...aside from Galaxy.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Precisely both of these. It simply didn't need it, and it felt wrong, so I switched over to a traditional pad. Galaxy is an example of a game that 100% requires a Wiimote and feels wrong without it - Colours is entirely the opposite, imo.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I just can't get board with that criticism when motion controls of colours were used solely to activate Wisps. It was infrequent and totally non-intrusive. But to each their own.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I didn't mind having to use the Wiimote for games that made good, actual use of its features, like Mario Galaxy which used the pointer and occasionally the gyroscope. But when games just used the waggle as a substitute for buttons it made for annoying gimmicky controls IMO (especially if they devolved into wagglefests), so I went with the GC pad instead (if it was supported).

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    At least we know the control scheme can't get any worse. Any waggle in Colors was awful, and most of the controls were made with the wiimotes lack of buttons in mind. These are all problems that no longer exist. It's not like when Nintendo brought Galaxy to the Switch and had to make certain compromises.

14. TDRR

TDRR

I don't think the Wiimote in Colors is really that bad. I beat the whole game 100% and the only time I had any trouble was in Aquarium Park Act 4 when getting the red rings that required the laser wisp (the angles were way too precise for a D-Pad, so I used WM+Nunchuck until I got those), otherwise it was a very easy playthrough. The worst of the control schemes in the game? Definitely, but very, very far from hard, or even inconvenient to use.

Also, Sonic controlled well, for a boost game that is. Generations was really sluggish in those 3D slower platforming sections, and Unleashed was better but still not too great, Colors was mostly a lot more controllable and the double jump helped a ton, but I admit it isn't nearly as responsive and quick as the Adventure games.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @TDRR I've gotten so used to the homing delay, even if it's not there like in SA1/2, I make a delay. There's a certain rhythm I like with the homing chains that the "spam A" approach never had.

Kinda makes me think the light speed attack could be good in modern games, and that's almost what Lost World/Forces quick homing attack did, when it makes sense, hold down A and you'll do a chain, otherwise you can do an enemy by enemy approach with the delay. And ya, Forces had the quick homing attack but only in Episode Shadow (Sonic can also wall jump but none of his levels let him, what a mess that game was)

Edit: ya I meant light speed attack. I forgot because it was so... useless before

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  16. TDRR

TDRR

Yeah, I agree. I think it's a good idea to have a delay that will punish you for just mashing or not hitting the button right, and with the homing reticle it's easier to tell and get that rhythm down. Both versions of Unleashed sort of do that, and sometimes you'll be boosting to your death if you do it too quickly, lol (almost always killing the player as a punishment is a bit too much but you get the idea).

Also, you mean the light speed attack (or whatever it was called)? I'd love to see it back, if the startup isn't as long as in SA1/2, or that you don't need to stop to charge it (like you hold a button and it builds up, but it doesn't stop you dead on your tracks), that would make it much more fun to use.

17. In the Sonic Official live stream today, they left a strong hint that Sonic Colors Ultimate will be at E3 in some fashion.

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    See, I've always done that with homing chains in SA1/2. Having a rhythm to it helps me complete them more consistently. Always makes me anxious when I see people spamming A to get over pits.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Especially because in the pre homing target games there was always a good chance you didn't lock on and had no way of knowing, but by that point it's too late because it's sky rail and you're off a cliff.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Probably gonna show up in someone's show. Not a huge shocker, the game is both their next upcoming title and can't be spoiled for plot due to being a remaster of an existing game, so no real risk of spoiling much.