don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Considering that every level soundtrack already has three variants, that’d be awesome, and almost like the game was originally intended to be this way.

2. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I wonder why Sega made a trailer that did nothing to advertise the new content in the game, instead just showing off piss colored gloves and shoes for a digital bonus.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Yeah more levels would be lovely. Even when I first played it 10 years ago, after finishing Asteroid Coaster I was kind of expecting one more full zone with Terminal Velocity but it's pretty much just the classic "Final Zone"-type setting. It makes sense in context of the story but it did leave me wanting a bit more. A full "Act 3" for each world would help it feel more complete in a way but like you said that's probably unlikely.

YEAH like if the casual person was watching the video, they probably would've seen that and wondered why Metal Sonic was in Rise of the Wisps, for example, when he wasn't in the original game. Would've been a great hook for people who already own the game. I guess we'll see some of that in future trailers, but yeah that was very weird!

4. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I'm seriously wondering / suspecting that a key reason why such little amounts of the more significant Sonic Colours changes weren't shown off in this Sonic Central iteration (On top of Sonic Origins' segment using no gameplay footage from Sonic Origins.) is due to SEGA being fully aware / conscious that they have rather little new stuff to currently offer the public on the Sonic side of things in terms of Sonic's own games, so what they're doing (Or at least trying to do.) to compensate is stretching the metaphorical rubber band of marketing to its limit by significantly drip-feeding reveals in their trailers, events, press releases and so on.

I theorise this: SEGA know / guesstimate that they will have / expect to have much more substantial new Sonic content meat on the bones by the time 2022 rolls around, so during most of 2021 they're spreading out their marketing of what little material they do currently have as much as possible. I suspect they're cutting it very thin on what new significant Sonic content they can currently showcase, and I think they very much know they're in that tough spot right now.

Adding to this, I quite strongly agree with sentiments various other people have expressed online that this iteration of Sonic Central feels at least somewhat rushed.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  5. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I REALLY just think they're saving the big reveals for E3 and SGF. With them so close to now, why not wait and give them not one, not two, but THREE small hype cycles in a small amount of time that is bound to get them new press coverage each time and maybe even growing interest in these games as well.

I get that we wanted more information on Thursday but this could end up working out in our favor more than we think.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Fair counterpoints, here's hoping for some much more substantial reveals sooner rather than later! :)

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    More high-quality screenshots have been released.

So yeah, I'm confident that the trailer they showed in the stream was of an older build just with insane bloom after-effects added. These screens look much better and more like the original (while still making it clear the graphics have been redone for the remaster). They look fantastic; it's nice to get The Game That Saved The Franchise in the beautiful HD it's long deserved.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    My god this game looks gorgeous. Do we have any confirmation as to whether or not it’s running in HE2?

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Apparently its Unreal Engine.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Source? First I've heard of this.

And that's a disagree from me on this game looking good. The trailer looks really bad, and the other gameplay screenshots still look dark and strange even if a bit better.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The interior of Starlight Carnival looks a ton better than it did originally. It used to be so muted and desaturated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Idk at least I prefer the newer graphics overall

Lol nice we found the same comparison pic

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm still not sure I agree. Perhaps the original is a bit bright, but it still looks over-saturated and very dark in Ultimate.

EDIT: lol yeah same pics. Removed mine for the sake of space.

FWIW, GameXplain gave uploaded a comparison video.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Dude trust me.

No in all seriousness I actually can't remember where I heard this now. But to be honest...it doesn't look like Hedgehog Engine at all.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Colours wasn't in the Hedgehog Engine originally anyway. Does it have to be ported to a whole new engine? Apparently Blind Squirrel have used the Unreal Engine in some of their ports, amongst others, but those games all used the Unreal Engine to begin with anyway. I've done a quick google search on Colours Ultimate and found no mention of the engine that it's using.

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

An engine change would be way, WAY more pronounced. And if the screenshots are anything to go by, they hold none of the Unreal Engine hallmarks whatsoever. Anyone saying this is a UE port is making things up to probably either explain the trailer's visuals away or doompost.

16. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Maybe they're using Hedgehog Engine 2 or something similar? 'Cause the lighting does remind me of Forces.

17. MH MD

MH MD

Personally i don't think an outsourced studio would have the experience and knowledge of am internal SEGA engine, no reason to believe it is working on Hedgehog Engine

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This remaster's visuals look so deep-fried and crusty.

It's like if this were a real game you put on a store shelf... okay, not exactly, but the overexposed lighting, the dark dark shadows, and the heavy bloom are all shared things that people do to make games look "HD" and just make it look like a muddy mess.

Colors losing all it's visual clarity is sad because the crispness of the visuals was maybe it's greatest strength. A Wii game from 2010 looked like a lower end 360/PS3 game. Now it looks like a tech demo from 2007 for that same hardware, two generations later.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't. The reason why I mentioned Hedgehog Engine was on the off chance that Sega handed it to them for the HD-make, but I see no reason to conclude they wouldn't just use an engine they're already familiar with. There's next to no chance that they actually ported Sonic Colors to PC then worked off of that. Even when they aren't using Unreal in their remasters, they were at least dealing with a game that ran on PC natively. They don't seem to have ever touched a Wii.

I suppose that's why when I heard it was UE I thought "sounds legit".

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention this. Game Informer seems to think there's gameplay refinements and tightened controls:
    https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/0...te-sprints-to-modern-platforms-this-september

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Companies usually never license their internal engines to 3rd parties. Also, all games that use Hedgehog Engine 1/2 were made by studios owned by SEGA as far as I know, so if I had to guess, Colors Ultimate is likely just using the same engine it was originally made on.